Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
I got a new one for you guys.
Have a new Bullitt with 300 miles on it. Been very careful with it since day 1. Got it with 6 miles on it so nobody drove the car but me. I let it warm up and once fully warm I have not been over 4K rpm's once.
So every time I start the car from cold the engine chirps like a bird for a good 10 minutes. After that is is completely silent. The chirping sounds like it's coming from the passenger side cylinder head.
Every Ford I buy gives me trouble. I had an 86GT than burned 15 quarts of oil in 3000 miles until they finally put a new engine in it after a battle of course.
I also have a MOPAR Hemi with a good old-fashioned cast iron block. Runs like a dream. Guess they are not as stupid as Ford yet. No more Ford's for me! Good luck to all pray you get a good one.
I had an 86GT and when I sold it with 140,000 miles it never burned any oil and ran like when I bought it with 10,000 miles. Have fun with the mopars. If you think there isn't a mile-long list of mopar issues then you are dreaming.
Sponsored

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
I just know I am going back for the 14th time, yes you read it right 14th time tomorrow for the engine issues alone. Tomorrow is only for them to hear the 2K RPM slap then I have to go back with it once more in order for them to work on the car

But I am YouTuber and making so much money I don't know how to spend it.... In fact make 0 dollars but want to share with others in the same situation. I can tell you this I have had to spend almost 30h going back to different dealers for the engine issue alone... As a consultant it means loss of income...

I have issues with everything associated with this car lol, had issues with my first set of aftermarket wheels and now I have issues with my second (that cost me almost 3K USD) set as well lol. I have been back to the company that applied my Xpel film five times after it was applied ....

Sorry for the OT
I have a solution for you. Sell. Why do you keep banging your head against the wall?

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Dear God!!! That's definitely NOT the BBQ tick. That bloody engine is shot.
I had the bbq tick, a little ceratec took care of that. This however, is a totally different animal. It's been doing it since day one pretty much, but I started also feeling a little rumble through the steering wheel as the rpms came down that coincide with the sounds, and that was that. It's pretty clear that something is very wrong. This car has 4,600 miles, no engine mods, adult driven. No track, nothing. Video was made with exhaust in quiet mode, you can really hear it, and in person it's incredibly obvious that it has coming from the bottom end. I think there is some confusion, people are mixing up the tick with this other issue. Hear it once in person and you won't be confused anymore .

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Has anyone considered the possibility that MPR Racing has adopted this theory for the argumentative convenience of pushing their custom built engine sales?

I fully admit that I've been pushing this piston slap idea, which I think it probably is. However, we all have to be willing admit it may very well be the exact same oil film cavitation issue found in the PowerStroke and Duramax engines. They have the exact same random typewriter ticking sound as the 5.0L, and Ford even has a TSB out there for it. If that's the case, then there's basically nothing wrong with our engines, and the few that have been replaced for scored cylinders or bad bearings are just anomalies which do occur more often in these cars due to the way we drive the heck out of them. A mustang at 5,000 miles that goes to the drag strip every weekend can easily look the same or worse in its cylinders than the same car driven 100,000 miles that was driven normally as a daily but never went over 4,000rpm.

Cavitation! This is what I was told by Ford Powertrain Engineering.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Cavitation! This is what I was told by Ford Powertrain Engineering.
I know, I brought this idea up in a thread here on 6G months ago. The whole thing kind of disappeared, because a few people were finding scored cylinders. So we all just assumed it was a piston issue. Which it still may very well may be. After seeing the identical sounding issue exist in diesel engines, I'm not so sure. I can't help but wonder if the piston scoring problem is really a separate issue for only a few people.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
There is a thread and videos on the f150 forum that’s definitely not piston or bottom end.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Ah yes, the infamous 6.0. I had an '05 F-250 4x4 with the "Six Point Oh Nooo!". That engine was tuned for more HP by Ford beyond the Navistar engine design. Then guys (like me) were adding tuners for more power and blowing head gaskets, oil coolers, etc. I had the head bolts replaced with ARP studs, and the turbo and oil cooler replaced under warranty. $100 tip to the Tech for installing the studs. So far, this doesn't seem to reach the same level of pain that the 6.0 debacle caused. Funny thing is that once the heads were studded, the turbo replaced, and the oil cooler replaced, my '05 ran just fine for 80,000 more miles. I like the 6.7 engine much better though, far more torque and no worries about reliability after 76,000 miles.

FWIW, no ticks or rattles from my '19 GT.
Sounds just like my 6.0. Even tipped the tech $100 to install the studs as you did. Put the new Loony Tune in it, It sounded like a race car for 5 seconds and blew the gaskets again. After that it was still drivable but blew a bit of coolant. I traded it 6 months later with 91K miles on it. Switched to V10's and never had one in the shop for the next 6 years until I stopped towing.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I honestly can't think this ticking noise is anything but cavitation somewhere. It seems to mostly happen after an oil change. And even a few people say how it goes away after running engine hard. It is very hard to believe that after an oil change that all of a sudden a LARGE amount of metal is removed from somewhere to all of a sudden start ticking. Also I wouldn't think ceratec could be that thick to fill in removed metal or build up some metal surface to essentially made a large cushion between metal parts. But I could believe it could build up in a cavitation spot. I have built many a race motorcycle and other small engines and even some substantial cylinder scoring never really made noise. Even the rattle noise that some of these mustangs make that I've heard are hard to believe piston slap. I rebuild quite a few 4 stroke motocross motors which have incredibly short piston skirts and pretty long stroke, Many of them sound like they knock at idle and continue the knock sound up to higher rpms until it just sounds smooth. Very gradual sound change. The sound was much more knock and not really a rattle sound. Although when you would blip the throttle good there were some rattle sounds from the gears tapping back and forth with each other. I still wonder about the complex valve train causing some of these noises from the long chains and many gears with the VVT and cavitaion somewhere between those parts. I mostly raced with manual cam chain adjusters instead of hydraulic and if the timing chain would get just a little loose I would hear rattles and those sound would sound all over the engine. I have followed the ticking issue for a few years now back when I was going to get a 2012 GT. It really is crazy that no definitive answer has ever really been found.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'm leaning towards it being a few issues bulked/mixed together: cavitation, piston slap, bad bearings. tolerance issues.

Nearly everyone is reporting something along those lines in every case.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I honestly can't think this ticking noise is anything but cavitation somewhere. It seems to mostly happen after an oil change. ...Also I wouldn't think ceratec could be that thick to fill in removed metal or build up some metal surface to essentially made a large cushion between metal parts. But I could believe it could build up in a cavitation spot.
If it does turn out to be the same kind of cavitation issue found in the diesels, Ceratec isn't necessarily going to fill a void spot large enough to cause that kind of noise. Its plating is in the millionths of an inch. Instead, it would change the overall behavior of the oil as pressure changes. Perhaps just enough boron to prevent flashing into vapor. Thus, the real reason for stopping the noise.That's why as carbon in the oil builds up over time, the flashing subdues, but returns all of a sudden with fresh clean oil.

The fact that Ceratec slowly plates all the metal for wear protection is its primary purpose, but helping to prevent flashing to subdue the noise is a sort of a side benefit.

Sponsored

local driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS
Aren't the pistons aluminum as well? They expand just like the block.

However, the bores may go out of round when they expand, due to stresses caused by variations in wall thickness, or even just insufficient wall thickness, like between adjacent bores.

Also, the plasma deposited lining has a different CTE than the block and that may exacerbate the distortion during heating. Sleeves are different: they are installed into a heated block which then shrinks to clamp them. That causes distortion, too, but it's corrected when the bores are honed. Then, during heating, some of the expansion of the block goes into unclamping the slower expanding sleeve, so the bore doesn't grow as fast as an aluminum bore with just a thin plasma deposited layer.

As has been stated, there may be other engines with plasma deposition, but maybe they're just stouter blocks and don't distort as much.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the camp that says the various noises heard are not all related to a single issue. The Gen-3 is built to very tight specs so it doesn't take a lot to upset the proverbial apple cart. Supplier issues, human error, materials defects, etc. can all cause problems. This is common to all auto makers but with the high performance of the Gen-3 it becomes more critical to 'get it right'. This engine was brutally tested before production so Ford engineers didn't send it out just hoping it would work. If you have problems it is a big PITA but your options are to live with it, take it in for warranty work and demand satisfaction, or turn your back on Ford and the Mustang and shop elsewhere. In the meantime, for those that aren't experiencing issues, don't push the engine when not at operating temp, stay current with all maintenance, enjoy your awesome vehicle. I'm done with reading another diatribe on Ford quality or listening to others complain on boobtube. Peace out.

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
I try every day to find this tick and slap. I have an 18, purchased new with 9,700 miles now. I still have not heard one sign of ticking or slapping (I come from modded BMW's so I am used to loud injectors). I don't track my car, but do some spirited driving on country roads at times. After reading a lot of these threads, it seems like I am one of the lucky ones... or am I? When are people noticing this stuff? I have seen after oil changes. I have done two since owning the car, and still nothing...I'm wondering if I am safe to say that I don't have this issue, or if my time just hasn't arrived yet. I try to just drive the thing and not worry about it, but Mustang6g makes that difficult...

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I try every day to find this tick and slap. I have an 18, purchased new with 9,700 miles now. I still have not heard one sign of ticking or slapping (I come from modded BMW's so I am used to loud injectors). I don't track my car, but do some spirited driving on country roads at times. After reading a lot of these threads, it seems like I am one of the lucky ones... or am I? When are people noticing this stuff? I have seen after oil changes. I have done two since owning the car, and still nothing...I'm wondering if I am safe to say that I don't have this issue, or if my time just hasn't arrived yet. I try to just drive the thing and not worry about it, but Mustang6g makes that difficult...
Go look at 996's and IMS bearing failure. Some fail and some don't. Not every car is going to have issues. If yours doesn't enjoy it.