Sponsored

The price of new tires is getting outrageous.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Inflation is a world wide problem, that happens after historically low interest rates. The world's economy have been relying on low interest rates to help keep the economy growing. Sooner or later you have to pay the piper. Interest rates have never been lower than they have over the last 15-20 years
Here's interest rate chart

Screenshot_20240318_093945_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how many of you remember the good old days of 18-20% interest rate of the early eighties.
I remember being happy to get a mortgage for 11-12%
and that's where it needs to return. But then a sh*tton of mal-investment is gonna have to be backed out and it's gonna hurt.

K Myers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
I just had to replace my rear tires Michelin PSS 305/35/19. Two years ago I paid $788.00 installed, today I paid $888 and that was with a 5% Veterans discount and another 5% for applying for a Discount Tire card with 0% interest if I paid within 6 mos. Otherwise it would of been just south of a $1000.
OK not to everyone if you can wait til Friday's to get your tires because they are trying to beat the other store's and it's even better on the last day of the month

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
There’s usually some decent manufacturer rebates at various times of the year and Discount Tire will often run discounts when using their CC. And a lot of places will price match. There’s usually good discounts when a manufacturer discontinues a model as well (the Conti ECS had a nice discount when the ECS02 came out). There’s ways to save if you’re not in a pinch and can wait for the various rebates to be announced (generally around the various holidays and change of seasons sometimes as well).

xl_cheese

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I just bought the exact same two tires last week. Same size too. Same sticker shock.

My previous rear tires only lasted 7k miles so I'm going to get the alignment checked again. Did it last year when installing tires, but I'm not sure the shop did a good job.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Liquid Natural Gas.

We are exporting despite regulations.

Sponsored

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Oh Michelin... My Dad swore by them. No doubt a great tire but always been overpriced. For this performance level, I'm a huge fan of Conti EC2 sport AS tires. Have had them on an M3, 135i, Z435i, JagXK, and more. On my current GT, I wanted a bit retro, and "American" and went with the BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS. They're America made, a very good tire, look great with a nice profile and sidewall, and perform as well as the car is capable on the street. They're 40% cheaper than the PS4s and compare well on the Tire Rack comparator.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
I'm pretty late to this thread, but I'll throw in my $0.02 anyway.

I just bought a new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires for the Mach 1 last November. I loved the grip of the OEM Pilot Sport 4 S tires, but here in NC, it gets too cold in the winter to safely drive on those year-round. After losing significant grip one night when it was in the low-30s (and almost losing control of the car), I switched to the Continentals and won't go back. The reviews for them are spot-on. Absolutely amazing tires. I got the two rears (275/40 ZR19) for $255.59 each and the two fronts (255/40 ZR19) for $229.49 each on Amazon. After tax and the NC tire fee, the grand total was about $1,060. I had them delivered to my house and got a local shop to mount/balance them all for $100 total.

In comparison, a new set of the Pilot Sport 4 S tires cost about $1,700 or $1,800 at the time if I remember correctly, and that was before tax, tire fee, and installation. Not to mention the fact that I will get FAR more mileage out of the A/S tires than the summer-only ones. My car is a daily driver that goes out in all weather conditions and won't ever see a track. Paying over $400 per tire is a complete waste of money for me personally.

EDIT: I can confirm that four tires will fit in the Mustang. Fold down the rear seats and put two in through the trunk. Then, fold the front passenger seat forward and put another tire in the back on top of the other two. Finally, put the last tire in the front seat. Wrap all the tires in furniture blankets to protect the interior.

Last edited:

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
After losing significant grip one night when it was in the low-30s (and almost losing control of the car), I switched to the Continentals and won't go back.
I experienced the same with my PS4S. I locked one of my rear wheels while braking moderately just above freezing. Felt like the wheel was made of hard wood, not rubber. I stopped taking the car out in the low-30s after that. I’ll be looking for your Continental Extreme Contact recommendations next year.

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
I experienced the same with my PS4S. I locked one of my rear wheels while braking moderately just above freezing. Felt like the wheel was made of hard wood, not rubber. I stopped taking the car out in the low-30s after that. I’ll be looking for your Continental Extreme Contact recommendations next year.
That's similar to the experience I had. I play in a local pool league and was leaving the pool hall around 10:30 pm. Took off from a red light very gently, knowing the cold weather had me driving on four round frozen discs. After shifting to 2nd, I had slippage in the rear and slid a bit. Thankfully, it wasn't significant and was easy to correct, but it was enough to make me say goodbye to summer tires, which in all honesty are known to be unsafe at temperatures below 40F anyway. Since I only had about 5,000 miles on the PS4S tires, I was able to sell them locally for $600 to a guy with an S550, which helped offset the cost of the Continentals.

Last edited:

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134975278381 I bought 4 of these from this seller-no BS, they're full tread 9/32" and I got 3 tires from 2022 and 1 from 2023. No repairs, patches or plugs.

If anyone else needs some PS4S and wants to take a risk (not really much risk, it is easy to get your $$$ back on ebay if someone tries to screw you).
Sponsored