Sponsored

The price of new tires is getting outrageous.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
Not the size OP is referencing but 19x10 275/40/19 Falken Azenis FK460 A/S square (my daily and cold enough here that pure summers don't cut it).

$1155.40 including taxes, fees, and installation. Every bit as good, or bad depending on your point of view, as Michelin A/S 3 Plus.

Prior to this I had only run high dollar Michelins. I'm completely satisfied. Granted this isn't a track car but as a daily that sees spirited driving frequently, just fine.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
1000%. Or if you prefer a local shop, see if they’ll price match. Some will, some won’t.
And some will penalize you with a charge for bringing tires purchased elsewhere. I've run into this with motorcycles, and have come to the realization that it's less hassle and no significant savings to just buy them at the shop.

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Edge ST, 2022 Mach1
Guess I am doing pretty good, my tires this year were $11 cheaper 😃

March 22, 2023
Item(s) Total: $1,767.90​
Sales Tax: $115.17​
Order Total: $1,887.07

Feb 12, 2024
Item(s) Total: $1,757.90​
Sales Tax: $114.52​
Order Total: $1,876.42

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
Then….

There’s other brands of tires at better price points that will and do perform just like the “name brand” for far less…

Problem is, many are stuck on the “name brand” when many of these tire casings are pumped out of many of the same factories with the not so common name brands. Just because a tire may have a weird name doesn’t always mean it’s a crap tire - it’s a crap tire in many minds because it’s not the “name brand”. Research the back story and production before you’re stuck on “name brands”, because you’d be really surprised at what you’re really buying….

There’s many off brand name tires that have write ups in many well known publications and online sites that also perform equally if not BETTER than the “name brand” which also have high ratings…. But god forbid anyone buys something other than the “name brand”….

And BTW, Ford Motorcraft Oil isn’t produced by Ford…. Just letting you fellas know who are name brand whores… because by the comments from some of you, you probably would stop buying Motorcraft Oil too…. So research that one while complaining about the cost of “Michelins”, if they’re really “Michelins”….

Point being:
There’s always better deals out there and the face of the name isn’t always who you think it is as the final product if you’re concerned where your $$$ is actually going.

Exactly this. Stop spending ridiculous amounts of money for the big name brand tires. This is what’s keeping the prices up. All this “it’s a safety item” or “it’s the only part that touches the road” is massive cope. Name brand tire companies are basically bending you over backwards for no reason.

I got 4 305/30r19 Atturros MOUNTED for $550 after tax. An equivalent set of Michelin’s would’ve costed me almost 2000….

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Exactly this. Stop spending ridiculous amounts of money for the big name brand tires. This is what’s keeping the prices up. All this “it’s a safety item” or “it’s the only part that touches the road” is massive cope. Name brand tire companies are basically bending you over backwards for no reason.

I got 4 305/30r19 Atturros MOUNTED for $550 after tax. An equivalent set of Michelin’s would’ve costed me almost 2000….
Everyone here has me worried about money now. I think I’ll trade my 23 GT in on a 15 year old Hyundai with a few dents on the door and has $78 tires on it from Walmart.😎

Sponsored

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Handling Package
With this in mind, we have a problem with sideshows around NorCal. Any time I see the rubber left at intersections from the clowns doing this shit, first thing I wonder is, who the hell is paying for the tires that are getting burned up every weekend?
There was a period of time when sideshows was a weekly occurrence around my neck of the woods. Burnt rubber debris at major intersections. I happened to drive past a larger local car dealership and saw a new Camaro on the lot that was up on blocks. Yep, someone had stolen the tires and wheels off of the car.... I surmised that it was related to the sideshow activity.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Then….

There’s other brands of tires at better price points that will and do perform just like the “name brand” for far less…

Problem is, many are stuck on the “name brand” when many of these tire casings are pumped out of many of the same factories with the not so common name brands. Just because a tire may have a weird name doesn’t always mean it’s a crap tire - it’s a crap tire in many minds because it’s not the “name brand”. Research the back story and production before you’re stuck on “name brands”, because you’d be really surprised at what you’re really buying….

There’s many off brand name tires that have write ups in many well known publications and online sites that also perform equally if not BETTER than the “name brand” which also have high ratings…. But god forbid anyone buys something other than the “name brand”….

And BTW, Ford Motorcraft Oil isn’t produced by Ford…. Just letting you fellas know who are name brand whores… because by the comments from some of you, you probably would stop buying Motorcraft Oil too…. So research that one while complaining about the cost of “Michelins”, if they’re really “Michelins”….

Point being:
There’s always better deals out there and the face of the name isn’t always who you think it is as the final product if you’re concerned where your $$$ is actually going.
100% agree with all the above.

There are choices and in some instances, even though the name of the product may not be well known “here”, it’s an equal or superior performing product elsewhere. I’ve seen/read many tire reviews by some of the remaining big national and overseas Car Magazines or their online sites (and other tire sites), where there are many tires other than say the “top 5” name brands that would surprise many as far as performance, quality, longevity and are used on high end sports cars worldwide.

Get outside the box, there’s so much more out there…. And don’t be afraid to order tires and have them shipped; many of these online sites can best local tire shops pricing per tire - so money can be saved if venturing outside a 1-3 mile local radius for price shopping.
Examples with reputable comparisons?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Even CR-S's are approaching $500/tire. I heard through the grapevine that Houston is about to get a supplier, about 5 miles from my house. Hoping this guy is lower than Phil...
Yea. I remember when they were $375 or so when released. I guess with a couple of first place finishes at national level and records being broken, they decided they want to charge Michelin pricing.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
think I’ll trade my 23 GT in on a 15 year old Hyundai with a few dents on the door and has $78 tires on it from Walmart
And it will get you to work and store not even 0.1 seconds slower than the stang. And you can park it closer to the entrance for a shorter walk. And vastly cheaper to insure.

Win win win!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Name brands connotate quality controls are in place. The no name products may come off the same line but reviews are few if any. Tire Rack for example carries only about 1/3 of reasonably known brands. So the brand filter is reinforced.

And if pirelli can make such garbage tires, why should one leap off the safety of the dock for the waters of nobody has heard of them?

Sponsored

jayson_b24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Then….

Point being:
This. All of this. I'm nowhere near needing new tires yet, but a boy can dream. I'm working on a loose list of mods for the near-to-distant future, so tires ARE on the list. Sure, It'd be cool to have some super-sticky gumballs on each corner that provide superior grip, even on the lunar surface (and are guaranteed not to hurt a chipmunk, should I accidently roll over one), but do I really need that? Nah. My car will never see the track, without adding a giant jungle gym in the rear seat area. I enjoy carving canyons, but 90% of my driving is freeway, or suburban streets. Snow is a non-issue and, even though it's been particularly rainy in SoCal this year, it's not really an issue either. I need a tire for these real- world situations. That's how I'm researching.

Kind of like when I had to get new tires for my old truck. I wanted something aggressive, but nothing that would put me in the bread line. At the time Falken, a company with a pretty decent history with street tires, had just ventured into the truck market with their Wildpeak series. Pretty much 95% of the better known BFGs, at about 60% off the price. Couldn't have been happier.

jayson_b24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Name brands connotate quality controls are in place. The no name products may come off the same line but reviews are few if any. Tire Rack for example carries only about 1/3 of reasonably known brands. So the brand filter is reinforced.

And if pirelli can make such garbage tires, why should one leap off the safety of the dock for the waters of nobody has heard of them?
Lest we forget:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
This. All of this. I'm nowhere near needing new tires yet, but a boy can dream. I'm working on a loose list of mods for the near-to-distant future, so tires ARE on the list. Sure, It'd be cool to have some super-sticky gumballs on each corner that provide superior grip, even on the lunar surface (and are guaranteed not to hurt a chipmunk, should I accidently roll over one), but do I really need that? Nah. My car will never see the track, without adding a giant jungle gym in the rear seat area. I enjoy carving canyons, but 90% of my driving is freeway, or suburban streets. Snow is a non-issue and, even though it's been particularly rainy in SoCal this year, it's not really an issue either. I need a tire for these real- world situations. That's how I'm researching.

Kind of like when I had to get new tires for my old truck. I wanted something aggressive, but nothing that would put me in the bread line. At the time Falken, a company with a pretty decent history with street tires, had just ventured into the truck market with their Wildpeak series. Pretty much 95% of the better known BFGs, at about 60% off the price. Couldn't have been happier.
What turned me on to the Falkens was that they were factory on my 2023 Gladiator Mojave. I have been seriously impressed.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
https://simpletire.com/tire-sizes/275-40zr19

So as an exercise sort above by price. You have to go a dozen deep before any brand names are recognizable. And by then price is touching 200 each. Will I touch a tire below $150? No.

I find that playing with slightly less standard sizes can yield large discounts.

I tried the general gmax as. Decent enough but doesn't like cold and wet. I tried a hard turn and the front just plowed straight. Other conditions at that same corner they were fine.

Last edited:

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
And drove gas prices threw the roof.
A tire take 7 gallons of oil to make since 2020 oil has gone ftom 48 to 78 bbl
Then the uaw contract pay's 42per hr minimum plus benfits
Sponsored