Sponsored

The Official M6G Investment thread

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Thanks for the update. Are you a more of a growth, dividend growth income (DGI), or income type of investor?

I have more than a couple of decades to go before I hit the traditional retirement age, so my retirement accounts are almost all in stock index funds, as I don't believe I can beat the market over a long period.

However, my non-retirement account's more DGI and income oriented as I'm trying raise enough passive income to be financially independent before hitting 46. I love my current career field and don't intend to retire early but I also heard that older folks in IT/Cybersecurity field have harder time findings jobs after a layoff due to senior positions being harder to come by, and junior positions are full of young professionals willing to work long hours for less pay.

Anyhow, with that background, I snagged some CVS and JNJ stocks during their minor dips as a COVID play, but need to take a look that the stocks you listed.

7.5% guaranteed for annuity is pretty darn good, so if you don't mine me asking, who did you get that with? I'd normally not go with an annuity but 7.5% is close to the average market return, but without the risk.
Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
a chart of his stock is not an indication of compounding. dividends paid and re-invested is more akin to compounding.
The often quoted average market rate of return of 8% (pre-COVID) includes dividends reinvested, and reinvested dividends account for 75% of returns (75% of S&P 500 Returns Come From Dividends: 1980-2019), so it's absolutely fair to include dividends to the total return. Also note that Berkshire Hathaway stock doesn't pay dividends so while many companies it holds pays dividends, investors holding its stock do not receive dividends to reinvest in the first place.

This isn't something that I made up but rather a commonly accepted calculation for total return. You may have your own way of calculating returns but why reinvent the wheel?

If you haven't sold your position you haven't 'gained' squat. Good for you the utterly deranged market has served you well. Sell while the selling is good and make your gains real. Then if you think this insanity is just going to keep ticking, you can buy back in and risk a new batch of capital. As we've seen 30% losses in a day or two across the broad spectrum is entirely possible if not likely. The covid "recovery" should never have happened. That the FED intervened is not 'market sentiment' it's out and out rigging. Glad you got lucky.
It's called unrealized gain/loss. Yes, it doesn't mean I locked in my gains as it can go up or down (thus the roller coaster comment), but if you can't handle large swings in stock price, you shouldn't be in stocks anyways. There were additional dips recently and I fully expect more to come. You made the right move if you cashed out if this market exceeds your risk tolerance as it prevents panic sale.

S&P 500 index over the last 6 months
1608581282855.png

However, for DCA investor like me, I'll continue to invest regardless of dips or highs and how's in the office. This has nothing to do with luck, rather I posted that I will continue DCAing during the dips. The term DCA been around for years so it's not something new or secret. In fact, most of the people with 401Ks are already doing it even if they don't realize it.

Yes, the Fed intervened to prevent a crash similar to 2008. I believe part of the increase in stock prices are due to inflation via all the "money printing". However, this also means that you are losing money on any cash held due to the same inflation.

I was only a few years out of college when 2008 crash happened and while I don't have much to lose, the hit still stung. But I stayed put while many others jumped out. The spike up happens as fast as the spike down, so those people who jumped out missed on big gains by the time they jumped back in.

While past performance doesn't guarantee future returns (if you want guaranteed returns stick with DCs or treasuries) but the history shows that people who jump in and out of the market tend to lose money in the long term. And a good portion of my investment has a time horizon of 20+ years.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And a good portion of my investment has a time horizon of 20+ years.
I'm not arguing against DCA. Just remember buy-and-hldrs of the Nikkei are still not back to parity despite waiting over 28 years.
https://www.macrotrends.net/2593/nikkei-225-index-historical-chart-data

True, the FED has been incredibly "accommodating" of market distortion and figment of imagination-based valuations.

Or say Cisco stock took 19 years to get back to parity.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/CSCO/cisco/stock-price-history

You could be waiting a VERY long time to get your money back.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you won't because nothing that is similar to the risk profile of US Treasuries or AAA corp debt has been yielding over a few % for 20 years. The SPIC is a fantastic farce. It doesn't remotely have the funds to cover all the inbound insolvency.

Sure back 20-30 years ago 5-7% was a somewhat reasonable rate to quote. Because back then the investment grade instruments were yielding more than that and the legacy holdings were also well north of the figure. But as each rolls off it can only be renewed at the then-current rates which has been plumetting below 3% and is now a pathetic 1% if not less. So the annuity company is getting poorer by the day and eating their previously banked earnings to pay current withdrawals. Even if we got 8% yielding instruments tomorrow it would take 10-20 years to get back to surplus because all of the shitty return vehicles have to roll off first.

Or they play "ponzi" by getting as much new investment as they can to stay afloat long enough in the hope that the interest rates come back in enough time to stop the bleeding. Or they switch investment classes to stocks and other more risky/speculative assets to shore up the capital base. Maybe they get lucky, or maybe they crash and burn when the stock market sees a proper >50% correction if it's going to have even a passing relationship with the real economy.

What kind of company doesn't have their fund prospectives available for public inspection?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Given your age and when you got your policy, all of your 'insurance underwritten assets" were booked when the going was good. Anybody today can't remotely get the same deal. Insurance companies are only allowed to invest in certain types and grades of investments. Those investments have been earning bupkis for well over a decade.

they may be getting new customers but their investment returns are seriously screwed. Unless they are investing in stocks and broadly "got lucky". The housing debacle wasn't to save the housing industry, it was to save the insurance companies and your annuity from being a giant black hole of nothingness. The investments many an "insurance" company was holding were worthless and if they had to realize the loss, the average-joe annuity would be a figment of your imagination.

For a busted insurance company to be taken over, the new owner has to have capital to make it work. Or the Fed takes all the crap and puts in on their books to hide the truth, while the 'cream' is sold off. If you think the SPIC is going to survive a systemic problem, you're delusional. Ditto the FDIC. None of these so-called safe-guards are real except at the tiny margin. To actually rescue them the Fed is going to be forced to sell bonds if they're lucky to find anyone stupid enough to buy them, or more likely, just print to infinity.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They do have a place IMHO in ones portfolio.
sorry if I gave the impression they don't.

problem is actual inflation is about 5-7% (and in some segments over 10%) and has been for some time. The "official" figures are out and out lies designed to mislead the clueless public. Bank CDs are basically short-term or 1-3yr treasuries minus fees and expenses. Though some invest in corporate or municipal paper. So to beat CD's the insurance co has to invest in things that "reliably" do better than treasuries and enough to pay everybody's commissions, salaries and corporate footprint, some profits, and of course policy redemption. When interest rates are zero-bound they are in broad terms royally f*cked and we've been at zero for what, 15 years?

The minimum interest rate should be 7% or north of that to impart a rational metric to the time value of money, but the US economy would go into a serious redux of the Great Depression. So even though it will heal the patient once and for all, the doctors (FED, Congress, USGovt) insist on coming up with ever more novel ways to put bandaid and dressings on cancer and hope the patient can survive just above a persistent vegetative state.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Life insurance products can have important place in a diversified portfolio. People should not be talking stock bonds or insurance but all of the above plus real estate and even your business

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
it's hugely unrealistic. There's no way to 'safely' get those kind of returns.
That's why I asked who he got it from. Granted, even if the rate is true, there's still a residual risk of the company going out of business but unless it's a unknown highly risky company, 7.5% is pretty good.
I'm not arguing against DCA. Just remember buy-and-hldrs of the Nikkei are still not back to parity despite waiting over 28 years.
https://www.macrotrends.net/2593/nikkei-225-index-historical-chart-data

True, the FED has been incredibly "accommodating" of market distortion and figment of imagination-based valuations.

Or say Cisco stock took 19 years to get back to parity.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/CSCO/cisco/stock-price-history

You could be waiting a VERY long time to get your money back.
I totally agree with you on the risk one takes with certain individual stocks, and thus most will be better served with investing in market index based funds like SPY. Also, if you are picking individual stocks, it's also easy to counterargue as for every stock like CSCO, you have also other tech stocks like AAPL, AMZN, etc.

Also, CSCO pays a generous dividend for a tech company (current forward yield of ~3.2%), which isn't reflected in the chart. So if you kept buying through the dips and reinvested the dividends, you'll still be ahead, just nowhere as close as high flyers mentioned above.
Sponsored