• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
Okay, now that I got your attention, I think it's time to discuss the massive misstep that Ford has made with the S650 - which is the new dashboard.

Personally I think it is atrocious. It has completely ruined one of the key elements that makes a Mustang interior a Mustang and makes it look like any other Mercedes, BMW or Korean SUV.

Now I know that it's the industry trend, everyone is doing it, idiot millennial consumers can't live without it, bla di bla. But the fact to the matter is that this is supposed to be a Mustang and a Mustang has very distinctive design characteristics. Characteristics that Ford marketing brass can't stop talking about when it comes to praising the new design. So why in the world did they feel the need to do away with one of the most important of those very characteristics, which is the beautiful symmetric double brow dash? This is completely wrong. It serves no purpose other than cutting costs on HVAC and other switch gear, and one switch at a time it destroys ergonomics and makes the car unsafer to operate.

It is not out of the blue that other brands who started this stupid fad (like Audi) and who were criticized from day one on the ergonomic repercussions are already reversing this policy and bringing physical switches back in their latest releases. Ford however is running at the back of the field and wasting their time on fancy graphics for switching drive modes, instead of designing an even better positioned toggle switch.

No Mustang driver needs a massive tablet in their car. When you drive a Mustang you are concentrating on driving, on the road and your surroundings. The nicely integrated Sync2/3 screen of S550 did the job perfectly well. In the Mach-E they even did a wonderful and creative job on integrating a soundbar in the double brow, a truly innovative piece of design progress. But instead of bringing that into S650 we get this generic dud and now have to live in a world where Mach-E has a more true to Mustang dashboard that the real Mustang.

This is a disaster.

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO ford-mustang-2018-dashboard

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO 2024 Mustang Interior 04
Sponsored

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm not a fan of the dash; it's several different ideas or styles thrown together.

Straight ahead, I have a huge display, but it's not seamless. One end appears to be an extension, added as an afterthought.

More importantly, why am I looking at this huge screen with all kinds of futuristic features, yet have vents and pushbuttons from the 1970s next to it?

Several have commented on why not have both a HUD with a more integrated digital display; that seems nice. And style the rest to compliment, not compete.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang GT
I agree, but I don't like the digital dash on the s550 either. Unfortunately kids want glass these days.

DutchPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT EU
Yep, it's a very boring and generic design that doesn't fit the Mustang or any sports car with heritage. If they wanted a rectangular screen, fine, but you can incorporate it with the typical brow. And yes, where are the damn switches, putting everything on a screen is dangerous and annoying.

DutchPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT EU
I like what I've seen of the new dash so far. "No Mustang owner wants" is the old "No true Scotsman" fallacy.
Good thing nobody here said that. Eric said No Mustang owner NEEDS a massive tablet and I fully agree. It should be about driving experience and I personally find large tablets distracts from that.

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
Sadly I think maybe more people want it than don't. Count me in the don't. Pics of my 2 favorite parts of my s550 interior. It would have been nice if they kept the analog as an option...maybe even moved the tach to the center or something.

Maybe its because the only video game system I ever owned was an Atari 2600. I kinda just want to start the car and drive not watch digital cartoons in it.

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO 20220610_154321

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO 20220219_195615

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 Mustang GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
I suspect it is now cheaper for manufacturers to utilize touch screens rather than physical controls, especially when it comes to different trims. A touch screen only requires a programming flash to change/update based on whatever trim car it is in. Physical controls would require different buttons, circuits and trim panels from model to model (eco boost vs GT, base vs premium, etc.).

I dislike touch screens but I think it's here to stay. While cheaper for manufacturers, I'm sure it will cost a small fortune to replace for the consumer.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2019 Subaru Forester, 2018 Subaru WRX, 1971 Chevelle
Agreed I'm not a tech guy whatsoever but that dash with what appears 2 tablets sitting on it is very strange appearing. If it was installed in the dash it would look like it belongs VS just a add on.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 02 150, 06 250
Sadly I think maybe more people want it than don't. Count me in the don't. Pics of my 2 favorite parts of my s550 interior. It would have been nice if they kept the analog as an option...maybe even moved the tach to the center or something.

Maybe its because the only video game system I ever owned was an Atari 2600. I kinda just want to start the car and drive not watch digital cartoons in it.

20220610_154321.jpg

20220219_195615.jpg
I wish I could've gotten analog gauges on my Mach 1. but at least I can set the digital to look kinda analog.

I think even the big bulbous wheel center is horrendous. I do like the fewer buttons and flat bottom on it though.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
So I know I am in the minority here (and I am no millennia), but I do like digital dashboards, if they are done right. They don't have to look like a "screen" and they can convey a lot of information in a way that is very comfortable, pleasing, and easy to consume at a glance. The key here is "being done right".

I love the digital dash in my V90, but I have not been overly impressed with the digital dash in my S550. So far, I am optimistic about the dash in the new Mustang, but it will really depend on the graphic design of content itself, not the panel on which it is rendered.

I do agree that basic controls need to remain with physical buttons though. My biggest gripe about my V90 controls is the touchscreen to adjust temperature is awkward to use while driving and the voice control is marginal at best.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 2022
I wished I had it in my GT.

TrackMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT
Massive misstep or not (obviously personal opinion) it won’t stop the S650 from selling well. Personally I don’t care, I have the tiny screen in my S550 because screens in a sports car are stupid and I have analog gauges because that’s what a sports car is supposed to have, much like a manual transmission. Lots of people disagree with me.
All that being said my focus is the new motor and my interest is peaked by the dark horse and possible (inevitable) new GT350R. Screen or not, take my money. Take it now.
Sponsored