Sponsored

The new 7.3 V8 fits in the Mustang......

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
As funny as it sounds he may actually have one as my place is littered with them. It’s like a status symbol. But I want my old fashioned engine. And with a four barrel carbs. I could do it myself.

In the end if it’s just a change of engine computer along with the truck tranny I could see this as a bit of a cult car thing. I have to look at this closer. I just arrived in Manhattan and still haven’t checked in - but this is good news! I hate banging up the engine bay to make an engine fit.
Why are you on this forum if your desire is cast iron engine blocks with carbs?

Look I’m 48 years old and have been drag racing for 33 years. I’m also a professional mechanic.
Times change brother. You need to either go find a vintage car or get with the times.
No body in their right mind removes a modern high performance 1.53 hp + / per cubic inch high reving engine and replaces it with a cast iron, low rpm, carburetor, less than 1.0 hp / per cubic inch boat anchor.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Why are you on this forum if your desire is cast iron engine blocks with carbs?

Look I’m 48 years old and have been drag racing for 33 years. I’m also a professional mechanic.
Times change brother. You need to either go find a vintage car or get with the times.
No body in their right mind removes a modern high performance 1.53 hp + / per cubic inch high reving engine and replaces it with a cast iron, low rpm, carburetor, less than 1.0 hp / per cubic inch boat anchor.

Ok maybe I got carried away but some of the best days of my early hot rod life were messing about with carbs and driving around with a Snap-On distributor wrench.

I’m almost 60 so old enough to care but young enough to have missed out.

I also agree with you about the aluminum block. Anyone who has ever done casting on even small parts knows what an expensive nightmare that is!

Also, guys who get really critical about other guys and the issues they prattle about probably have the same leanings, likes and dislikes and that is why they react more than the others.

So what I’m trying to say is: Hi there, and a pleasure to meet you Sir! :like:

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Ok maybe I got carried away but some of the best days of my early hot rod life were messing about with carbs and driving around with a Snap-On distributor wrench.

I’m almost 60 so old enough to care but young enough to have missed out.

I also agree with you about the aluminum block. Anyone who has ever done casting on even small parts knows what an expensive nightmare that is!

Also, guys who get really critical about other guys and the issues they prattle about probably have the same leanings, likes and dislikes and that is why they react more than the others.

So what I’m trying to say is: Hi there and a pleasure to meet you Sir! :like:
I get it.
I also have classic vehicles along with my modem vehicles.
Don’t get me wrong, I love them both equally and I prefer them for what they are. But never would I go backwards by putting a old technology engine into a newer car ModoResto lol.
Usually it’s new modern drivetrain in classic vehicle.
The new 7.3L would be awesome in a classic 1980s and older F250-F350. Yank the 351M or 385,400,460 etc out and drop in a new 7.3L.
Now that’s a good combo.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Find me a 106 mm stroke pushrod motor revving to over 6500. 6500 is the new 5000 for V8s.

When I was knuckle deep in racing Harley Davidsons we were spinning 4.625 inch stroke engines to 7500 RPM all day.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When I was knuckle deep in racing Harley Davidsons we were spinning 4.625 inch stroke engines to 7500 RPM all day.
sure, but they were rebuilt often and had only 1/4 the parts cost...

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The 454 Chevy engine had a 4 inch stroke and we were spinning them to 7000 in the 1970's

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
For those that say you can't spin a 4" stroke engine past 6500, you don't have a clue. The biggest mechanical limit for rpm is the valve springs, plain and simple. As long as you have the hp to spin the desired rpm, you then only need enough spring pressure to prevent valve float. A perfect example, Brian Wolfe of Team Z motorsports built a 7.3 for his fox body and spun it to 7600 rpm and made 789 HP N/A and the factory stroke on a 7.3 is 3.976" or just a hair under 4"

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
A perfect example, Brian Wolfe of Team Z motorsports built a 7.3 for his fox body and spun it to 7600 rpm
every engine can do it "once". The question becomes how long do the springs/retainers last if you spin it that high and how much it costs to do the periodic rebuild. Hell the >4" Copo Camaro spins to over 8000. but I'm not familiar with it's rebuild interval.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
If the 7.3 came in aluminum, would there be much difference in weight to the current Coyote? If it fits in a Mustang the physical size can’t be appreciably bigger. The 5.0 is already pretty tight.

The potential output of a 7.3 with all that torque could be quite good with a bit of tweaking. Hmm, powerplant for the Cobra Jet?

One thing for sure, with a decent duration cam and good pipes, it would sound like a bad mutha in a Mustang.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
If the 7.3 came in aluminum, would there be much difference in weight to the current Coyote? If it fits in a Mustang the physical size can’t be appreciably bigger. The 5.0 is already pretty tight.

The potential output of a 7.3 with all that torque could be quite good with a bit of tweaking. Hmm, powerplant for the Cobra Jet?

One thing for sure, with a decent duration cam and good pipes, it would sound like a bad mutha in a Mustang.
They've said they're making a 6.8L version. I believe it was said that one was to be an aluminum block. Not sure though.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'd rather see a redesigned Coyote. Something with wider bore spacing to at least allow a 4 inch bore.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I'd rather see a redesigned Coyote. Something with wider bore spacing to at least allow a 4 inch bore.
I'd rather see a God-damned TT 4.0 V8 EcoBoost. Like every other manufacturer in the world makes. Seems like a no-brainer to add two cylinders to the 3.0 V6, same bore spacing, same line, same cam phasing hardware, timing chains/cover, Oiling system, same accessory package, engine mounting, bell housing, what not. Bigger turbos and new intake.
Also seems like a no brainer for an engine option in both F150 and F250.

Dial the torque up and down in various modes (towing, snow, etc). they've gone full in on EboBoost (well before the 7.3 came along!) why not go all the way and make a V8. I don't get it.

But what do I know.
I'll probably die holding my breath.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Why drop to 4.0? Just add turbo's to the current 5.0.

I still love to see a 4 inch bore 3.5 inch stroke coyote.
Sponsored