Sponsored

The new 7.3 V8 fits in the Mustang......

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
There ya go. Not much room left in that engine bay laterally or longitudinally.
There are a few current generation Mustangs running around with the 385 series big block. One of them is a Kaase BOSS 429.
These motors have a 4.9" bore center.
Guess what, they drop right in with ZERO CUTTING......
The 7.3 fits just fine.
The problem is that the road course fanatics won't be getting yet again another track car.
This over played out track car garbage is killing sales......
Time for something different......time for a Stang aimed directly at the 1320 fans.
Even the Chevy camp is pounding on the 7.3's drum and that should tell everybody all they need to know.
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Okay let's squash this garbage.

1. This is a TRUCK APPLICATION engine. No one is saying that it can't be built and tuned to make power but considering Ford's product direction, it's way unlikely especially considering Ford Racing already has proven products to throw into vehicles like the FP350S and Cobra Jet.

2. To that point, Ford is NOT going to put iron blocks back into their performance cars. Some of us already weigh close to 3900lbs as it is.

3. Just because they can doesn't mean they will. You can fit a Coyote into an F250 too. "Well, nastang, you're dumb, that's a high revving engine with no low end torque! It's not a good truck engine!" Ditto. As I would say this engine doesn't match Ford's ideology of an acceptable street and track performance offering either. Too heavy, regardless of dimensions, and doesn't match the characteristics of what a modern Mustang is.

4. If you want one, I'm SURE there will be plenty of wrecked F250's that you can go pull one out of a junk yard or auction. Good luck with your build.

So...we all good now? Oh wait, this is the internet, we never will be. Silly me.
LOL squash it because you said so. Funny. This is a discussion about possibilities.
Yes - it will fit.
There is plenty of room. Have you ever noticed how much room there is between the engine and radiator? Gosh - a centrifugal supercharger fits there! Twin turbos fit there.
Yes - it can be tuned for a car application.
Yes - Ford will build a Mustang mule with the engine in it to explore its capabilities.
Will it ever make it to production? probably not. But it's nice to dream. A large displacement engine in a Mustang is a great idea. It just doesn't fit in today's world of fuel economy standards.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few current generation Mustangs running around with the 385 series big block. One of them is a Kaase BOSS 429.
These motors have a 4.9" bore center.
Guess what, they drop right in with ZERO CUTTING......
The 7.3 fits just fine.
The problem is that the road course fanatics won't be getting yet again another track car.
This over played out track car garbage is killing sales......
Time for something different......time for a Stang aimed directly at the 1320 fans.
Even the Chevy camp is pounding on the 7.3's drum and that should tell everybody all they need to know.
I appreciate the entertainment you're providing here!

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I do sorta miss the strong mid-range kick in the pants that a big pushrod motor gets you, followed by a torque drop off so you know it’s clearly time to shift, then another kick in the pants when you get back into the torque. It also helped keep you off the rev limiter when you lose traction. When this supercharged coyote breaks the tires loose, you’re in the rev limiter in a millisecond because the torque curve is flat all the way up to the moon.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I appreciate the entertainment you're providing here!
I hope you're not quoting the engineers that also said the type writer tick with the 5.0 is normal.......
If the Mustang does not start embracing it's traditional American roots? It may become a China only offering.
Current Mustang sales trend is far from anything to be proud of.
This current generation is one of the worse sellers and this is with a much larger buying public than ever before.
Extremely few people in general brag about this generation's ability to run a road course.
The fan fare goes straight to what it runs at the strip.
Use this forum as evidence, count the threads.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Mod Motors started out as iron blocks.
The 7.3 can be made out of alloy.
It really is no big deal anymore.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I hope you're not quoting the engineers that also said the type writer tick with the 5.0 is normal.......
If the Mustang does not start embracing it's traditional American roots? It may become a China only offering.
Current Mustang sales trend is far from anything to be proud of.
This current generation is one of the worse sellers and this is with a much larger buying public than ever before.
Extremely few people in general brag about this generation's ability to run a road course.
The fan fare goes straight to what it runs at the strip.
Use this forum as evidence, count the threads.
Yes I'd agree the refreshed S550 doesn't sell that well. I think the goofy face hurt quite a bit, along with the MSRP increase. You're also ignoring that the entire sports car/sports coupe market is down, but don't let pesky facts get in the way of your cherry picking. Someone is seriously ignoring the 2015 and 2016 sales though, and in particular why those sales were so good. It isn't because it is a drag king (the S197 is better at this). It's because it brought handling and refinement that the Mustang never had before, and the number of conquests from foreign and premium brands (who's goals are handling and refinement) was extremely significant. Like many I know personally, plus the countless others who posted here from 2014 onwards, this is my first Mustang and I would not have bought one without the changes it got to make it dramatically better around a road course. Ask most of the GT350/GT350R owners, a car that STILL sells with ADM. Members of other car communities like Porsche, BMW M, respect and LIKE the S550 so much that they have bought one.

Keep living in your fantasy land where you believe no one cares about those aspects of the car. The data doesn't support that. Go to a car show that's not muscle only and you might learn something. I've had random people approach me, say they love the new generation for the same reasons I do. It's incredible to see how close-minded people rooted in a community can be.

The 7.3 won't be put into a Mustang by Ford, and for several very good technical reasons. Give it a rest already.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I'd agree the refreshed S550 doesn't sell that well. I think the goofy face hurt quite a bit, along with the MSRP increase. You're also ignoring that the entire sports car/sports coupe market is down, but don't let pesky facts get in the way of your cherry picking. Someone is seriously ignoring the 2015 and 2016 sales though, and in particular why those sales were so good. It isn't because it is a drag king (the S197 is better at this). It's because it brought handling and refinement that the Mustang never had before, and the number of conquests from foreign and premium brands (who's goals are handling and refinement) was extremely significant. Like many I know personally, plus the countless others who posted here from 2014 onwards, this is my first Mustang and I would not have bought one without the changes it got to make it dramatically better around a road course. Ask most of the GT350/GT350R owners, a car that STILL sells with ADM. Members of other car communities like Porsche, BMW M, respect and LIKE the S550 so much that they have bought one.

Keep living in your fantasy land where you believe no one cares about those aspects of the car. The data doesn't support that. Go to a car show that's not muscle only and you might learn something. I've had random people approach me, say they love the new generation for the same reasons I do. It's incredible to see how close-minded people rooted in a community can be.

The 7.3 won't be put into a Mustang by Ford, and for several very good technical reasons. Give it a rest already.
Why do you get so butt hurt over a discussion? I have said a bunch of times it will never make it into production. But it's interesting to hear what people think about a what if scenario. You want to cut off discussion about it at all. It will never happen. Period. No need to discuss.
BTW - this Mustang was your first taste of one. There are still a few that remember the torque monsters of yester year that wouldn't mind one again. Lighten up. Guys can voice their opinions.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Once again, Ford makes a factory drag car. A real one. Not a pretend $35k road legal "drag" car that some kid will use to barely pull mid 12s. It's also quite clear, from many people in this forum, that the current coyote based platform is very successful on the strip with a few simple mods. I still don't understand the argument. You don't need a big block to win a race, you just need skill, HP, and a way to plant it.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
BTW - this Mustang was your first taste of one. There are still a few that remember the torque monsters of yester year that wouldn't mind one again. Lighten up. Guys can voice their opinions.
I had an S197 and rode in few 70's Mustang race cars. I don't miss the past. The S197 solid rear axle sucked hard in rear world driving. Sure, the drag guys liked it, but an overwhelming majority of Mustangs sold are for road use. When Ford redesigned the Mustang to make the S550, they did a brilliant thing. They took a one trick pony and made it competitive in multiple categories. If you want to road race, you can do it. Want to drag race, you can do that too. If you want to just cruise around town, the Mustang is comfortable for that as well. I think the point BmacIL is trying to convey, is that there is no reason to use fake figure to push some imaginary engine option. The stock S550 GT can run high 11s as is, so claiming it isn't straight line capable with the coyote is just incorrect. Just like claiming sales are down because it isn't just focused on the drag strip. That ignores all facts around initial and current S550 sales trend, along with automotive market data.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Guys, we are all rank amateurs so don’t pull out that jack of all trades thing - because it’s master of none.

You want to race on the track then start in a go karts (not Mustangs) like Paul Tracy and work your way up. I saw how he did it as I used to supply him with his tires back when he was a nobody. The rest of use are just consumers that will never amount to anything in competition.

I grew up just after the big block hey day and missed out on that. Now I have a chance to scratch that itch off my to do list. Everything the current GT does is just for guys to “pretend” they are track/drag/street racers. Ford makes money on that dream. So they may as well make money in this other dream.

Just saying...

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Guys, we are all rank amateurs so don’t pull out that jack of all trades thing - because it’s master of none.

You want to race on the track then start in a go karts (not Mustangs) like Paul Tracy and work your way up. I saw how he did it as I used to supply him with his tires back when he was a nobody. The rest of use are just consumers that will never amount to anything in competition.

I grew up just after the big block hey day and missed out on that. Now I have a chance to scratch that itch off my to do list. Everything the current GT does is just for guys to “pretend” they are track/drag/street racers. Ford makes money on that dream. So they may as well make money in this other dream.

Just saying...
Racing isn't just about making money or winning pro-level races. There are plenty of people on here winning their classes on the road course or the drag strip using the S550. And yes, the S550 is a "jack of all trades" as far as performance coupes go. It's a basic package that you can make into anything you want.
I started out racing autoX in an SR20DE equipped Sentra. That's a car that presents a real challenge if you want to race. There are no options from the factory or the Nissan dealership to make it competitive. We should be happy that Ford offers whatever you need to get into your race of choice.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an S197 and rode in few 70's Mustang race cars. I don't miss the past. The S197 solid rear axle sucked hard in rear world driving. Sure, the drag guys liked it, but an overwhelming majority of Mustangs sold are for road use. When Ford redesigned the Mustang to make the S550, they did a brilliant thing. They took a one trick pony and made it competitive in multiple categories. If you want to road race, you can do it. Want to drag race, you can do that too. If you want to just cruise around town, the Mustang is comfortable for that as well. I think the point BmacIL is trying to convey, is that there is no reason to use fake figure to push some imaginary engine option. The stock S550 GT can run high 11s as is, so claiming it isn't straight line capable with the coyote is just incorrect. Just like claiming sales are down because it isn't just focused on the drag strip. That ignores all facts around initial and current S550 sales trend, along with automotive market data.
IDK - overall I think I liked the S197 better. At least the engine didn't have all the funky noises this one does lol.
Sponsored