Sponsored

The new 7.3 V8 fits in the Mustang......

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
From R&T article:
"And if you're wondering if it'll fit in a Mustang, Beltramo told us it's actually shorter in height and narrower than a Coyote V-8, but quite a bit longer thanks to much increased bore centers. It's possible then, but good luck doing so without having to cut into the firewall. And even if you could wedge this motor into a Mustang, it wouldn't be very good, because of its heavy cast iron block and low-revving nature. Stick with the Coyote, kids."
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...-v8-engine-details-specs/?src=socialflowFBRAT

Well shucks...

Thanks for pissing on the parade with that article. As I mentioned many posts ago this was a good idea as long as you didn’t have to bash out panels or cut metal. Remember other such ventures that required drilling holes in the body work to change spark plugs and other common serviceable items. I still think this conversion will happen in the aftermarket though.
Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
So the center of gravity sits a 1/2 inch forward.
There are already SBF/BBF and LS swapped S550 Mustangs that prove it works.
Hell, Ford offers the 429 Ninja for the Cobra Jet.
I see a untapped market that Ford once ruled......anybody ever think about increased sales?

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Well shucks...

Thanks for pissing on the parade with that article. As I mentioned many posts ago this was a good idea as long as you didn’t have to bash out panels or cut metal. Remember other such ventures that required drilling holes in the body work to change spark plugs and other common serviceable items. I still think this conversion will happen in the aftermarket though.
Well shucks...

No need to cut the firewall.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My memory is not what it used to be, but didn't Kasse help develope that boss 9 prototype?

I just read an article about that v-10, it was smaller than the truck v-10. They actually cut up and welded together two 4.6 blocks and had a custom odd fire crank made and ran it off of two separate EEC IV processors. The truck v-10 could not handle the odd fire firing order but the eec 4 could handle an inline 5 so they ran two processors, two maf sensors, etc and treated it like two inline 5's sharing the same crank.
Yes, I believe that’s correct.

Here is a clip on the V10 mule car. Sounds what the Viper should’ve sounded like. I read that as well regarding the design of the engine. Pretty slick engineering.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I don’t want an aluminum block with plasma coated liners. I don’t want a high reving big motor. A 13 litre 6 I sometimes drive has a red line of 2500 rpm and I never need more!

I want a truck motor - get it through your heads guys. I had two 5 litres back in the day but always felt cheated by the lack of a big block. So here we go. Since I drive a V6 and no more emissions checks in Toronto, I can do this myself but me thinks some will make a business with these modifications. I even like the older front end so it all works for me. It’s probably best Ford doesn’t get involved as they would probably just screw it all up!

Move the battery to the trunk and that makes the weight difference moot.

And for you guys that don’t like the motor - just hold your nose and leave the thread. There - now you feel better!!!!! :like:
Buy a diesel.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It probably already has, why else would they say it will fit in a mustang unless they already knew.
You can judge fitment based on dimensions alone. Also, we have had 3D modelling for decades. You don't have to physically install something to know if it fits.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I see a untapped market that Ford once ruled......anybody ever think about increased sales?
Ford already sells a factory drag car. It can run mid-8s with the Coyote engine. I doubt they sell more than 50 of them. Edit: Says they are only making 68, which tells me they know it is limited demand.
https://www.slashgear.com/this-is-the-new-2018-mustang-cobra-jet-fords-factory-drag-racer-16541425/

I am really not sure what the argument in here is. Want more torque and low-end grunt, go 3:73 rear and E85. Mine is almost unusable in 1st gear with the tires not super hot. Still not enough, swap 3rd gen intake manifold for F150 manifold. Still not enough, go 4:09 rear. Still not enough, time for a supercharger. At that point, no increase in displacement can touch the tire melting torque you will be rocking. Ford isn't going to spend the millions to adapt this engine in the Mustang when they can get the same outcome cheaper and easier with forced induction. Personally, I can't imagine having much more low end grunt than I have now in a street car. The fact that warm PS4s go up in smoke so easily is a testament to the low-rpm torque level when running EtOH.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Buy a diesel.

Don’t give me any ideas!!!!! :crackup:

In a related question: Where would I put the DEF canister and inlet. For that matter how about air brakes! And 35 litre oil changes!

Hubba hubba hubba...

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Don’t give me any ideas!!!!! :crackup:

In a related question: Where would I put the DEF canister and inlet. For that matter how about air brakes! And 35 litre oil changes!

Hubba hubba hubba...
Psshhhh, don't need the DEF. Ford uses a sweet 3.0L JLR engine in the F150 and it makes 440ft-lb at 1750rpm. Weighs the same as this big block and will probably get you over 30mpg in a Mustang. Get that thing tuned to remove the emissions stuff and have fun rollin' coal in the stang.
http://www.powerstrokehub.com/3.0-power-stroke.html

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Psshhhh, don't need the DEF. Ford uses a sweet 3.0L JLR engine in the F150 and it makes 440ft-lb at 1750rpm. Weighs the same as this big block and will probably get you over 30mpg in a Mustang. Get that thing tuned to remove the emissions stuff and have fun rollin' coal in the stang.
http://www.powerstrokehub.com/3.0-power-stroke.html
But 3.0L isn't enough for this knuckledragger. Let him fit a damn Wright RD-1820 radial diesel from a Sherman tank. That dude is a moron.

JR

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ford already sells a factory drag car. It can run mid-8s with the Coyote engine. I doubt they sell more than 50 of them. Edit: Says they are only making 68, which tells me they know it is limited demand.
https://www.slashgear.com/this-is-the-new-2018-mustang-cobra-jet-fords-factory-drag-racer-16541425/

I am really not sure what the argument in here is. Want more torque and low-end grunt, go 3:73 rear and E85. Mine is almost unusable in 1st gear with the tires not super hot. Still not enough, swap 3rd gen intake manifold for F150 manifold. Still not enough, go 4:09 rear. Still not enough, time for a supercharger. At that point, no increase in displacement can touch the tire melting torque you will be rocking. Ford isn't going to spend the millions to adapt this engine in the Mustang when they can get the same outcome cheaper and easier with forced induction. Personally, I can't imagine having much more low end grunt than I have now in a street car. The fact that warm PS4s go up in smoke so easily is a testament to the low-rpm torque level when running EtOH.
giphy.gif

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There are LS7 stroker kits that open up to 440+ cubes and rev out to OVER 7000 RPM. A long stroke (stroke...*giggle*) is only part of the equation when it comes to engine speed. A bigger bore can also cause engine speed issues too with friction. It's all relative to the total amount of friction, stroke, piston speed, cylinder filling, and how it affects RPM. NASCAR engines are 5.8L and rev out to 10,000 RPM in some applications. And rev out HARD. They have short strokes but HUGE bores which creates a lot of friction.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Okay let's squash this garbage.

1. This is a TRUCK APPLICATION engine. No one is saying that it can't be built and tuned to make power but considering Ford's product direction, it's way unlikely especially considering Ford Racing already has proven products to throw into vehicles like the FP350S and Cobra Jet.

2. To that point, Ford is NOT going to put iron blocks back into their performance cars. Some of us already weigh close to 3900lbs as it is.

3. Just because they can doesn't mean they will. You can fit a Coyote into an F250 too. "Well, nastang, you're dumb, that's a high revving engine with no low end torque! It's not a good truck engine!" Ditto. As I would say this engine doesn't match Ford's ideology of an acceptable street and track performance offering either. Too heavy, regardless of dimensions, and doesn't match the characteristics of what a modern Mustang is.

4. If you want one, I'm SURE there will be plenty of wrecked F250's that you can go pull one out of a junk yard or auction. Good luck with your build.

So...we all good now? Oh wait, this is the internet, we never will be. Silly me.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack