Sponsored

The new 7.3 V8 fits in the Mustang......

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I don’t want an aluminum block with plasma coated liners. I don’t want a high reving big motor. A 13 litre 6 I sometimes drive has a red line of 2500 rpm and I never need more!

I want a truck motor - get it through your heads guys. I had two 5 litres back in the day but always felt cheated by the lack of a big block. So here we go. Since I drive a V6 and no more emissions checks in Toronto, I can do this myself but me thinks some will make a business with these modifications. I even like the older front end so it all works for me. It’s probably best Ford doesn’t get involved as they would probably just screw it all up!

Move the battery to the trunk and that makes the weight difference moot.

And for you guys that don’t like the motor - just hold your nose and leave the thread. There - now you feel better!!!!! :like:
Sponsored

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Oh and something else, from the pics I've seen it looks like the 7.3 has a dry lifter valley. So Imagine a 3.0L or larger whipple on it and the sky is the limit for hp and it would probably still fit under the mustang hood.

20_FRD_FSD_45741.jpg

If you look closely, it has what looks like a power steering pump and dual alternators. so having provisions for a power steering pump makes swaps into pre S197 mustangs a little easier.

Hey Fatguy, I think you meant 2500 rpm not 25000. You hit the "0" one to many times. A big ass 13L I6 diesel will not turn 25K rpm, to much stroke and too much weight.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Oh and something else, from the pics I've seen it looks like the 7.3 has a dry lifter valley. So Imagine a 3.0L or larger whipple on it and the sky is the limit for hp and it would probably still fit under the mustang hood.

Hey Fatguy, I think you meant 2500 rpm not 25000. You hit the "0" one to many times. A big ass 13L I6 diesel will not turn 25K rpm, to much stroke and too much weight.

Thanks and corrected. I’ve done many things in trucks like I did in cars. I’ll leave it at that... :shock:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This engine will end up in a Mustang at some point, from Ford.

It will probably be a mule car to see “what if” and “how hard” and figure “how expensive”.

I doubt it would be a production engine or ever an option for the GT, but I also feel there’s huge potential for this to be a new or possibly CJ engine option for very limited build cars.

I would love to see a big block, pushrod S550 or whatever future platform go wreck the competitors similar offerings!!!

For people that want a track or drag toy, this could be awesome. Keep in mind this engine will no doubt be available for purchase through FRPP as well as the require wiring harness for a swap. I think it was very calculated to mention this will fit in the bay of an S550. Our engine bays are massive and this is a semi compact engine especially when you look at the top half of a Coyote motor. This will no doubt be huge for a shop to throw in their shop car.

This is a clean sheet motor, so there was a significant investment in R&D, tooling, etc to get this launched. This will be a long lived engine option and I’m sure the primary focus will remain on fleet and medium/heavy duty trucks, but there will be some point this becomes a toy for someone.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It probably already has, why else would they say it will fit in a mustang unless they already knew. Your right about the underhood dimensions of the modern mustangs. A boss 429 will fit under the hood of a fox body, sn-95's, s-197's and the new s-550's, Back in 94 Ford built a prototype 94 cobra with a port fuel injected boss 9 just as an engineering study, also Jon Kasse (of kasse racing engines) built an 800 hp 5xx" boss 9 and put it in an 08 GT. He says it has so much torque it's almost undrivable and he can't keep tires on it.

Since it will be a high volume truck engine, at some point whipple, roush, and maybe edelbrock will make a supercharger for it. You could easily see 800 crank hp on a truck engine. Throw that in a mustang with a better cam and 900-1000 is a possibility, on pump gas.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It probably already has, why else would they say it will fit in a mustang unless they already knew. Your right about the underhood dimensions of the modern mustangs. A boss 429 will fit under the hood of a fox body, sn-95's, s-197's and the new s-550's, Back in 94 Ford built a prototype 94 cobra with a port fuel injected boss 9 just as an engineering study, also Jon Kasse (of kasse racing engines) built an 800 hp 5xx" boss 9 and put it in an 08 GT. He says it has so much torque it's almost undrivable and he can't keep tires on it.

Since it will be a high volume truck engine, at some point whipple, roush, and maybe edelbrock will make a supercharger for it. You could easily see 800 crank hp on a truck engine. Throw that in a mustang with a better cam and 900-1000 is a possibility, on pump gas.
I loved that Boss prototype. 3 speed automatic and stupid fast and sounded PISSED OFF!

Ford also BUILT a from-scratch V10 and shoved it into a New Edge for testing. Never came to fruition but it was not based on the Triton V10. There’s clips of this car on YouTube and it was NASTY!

Ford also mule-car’d the New Edge in the early 2000’s with a modified NA DOHC 4.6 and Eaton blown DOHC 4.6 and several years later you have the Mach 1 and 03/04 Cobra. Both cars were in an issue of MotorTrend for a heads up comparison.

Even in the mid 90’s the SuperStallion ran off Ethanol I believe and was a beast of a forced induction car. Ford has always had some cool shit in the tool shed and more than we realise has made it to some form of production .

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Watch and enjoy:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A pushrod motor can rev to 6500 rpm. These are not very good points you are making.
Find me a 106 mm stroke pushrod motor revving to over 6500. 6500 is the new 5000 for V8s.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
From R&T article:
"And if you're wondering if it'll fit in a Mustang, Beltramo told us it's actually shorter in height and narrower than a Coyote V-8, but quite a bit longer thanks to much increased bore centers. It's possible then, but good luck doing so without having to cut into the firewall. And even if you could wedge this motor into a Mustang, it wouldn't be very good, because of its heavy cast iron block and low-revving nature. Stick with the Coyote, kids."
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...-v8-engine-details-specs/?src=socialflowFBRAT

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
If ford wanted to, they could just destroke the 7.3 a little down to a 7.0 or 427" or 429" and that would give it a little more rpm, and make a new intake manifold and cam more suited for hp and rpm and they could have a 550 hp or so N/A motor for the mustang. And for the iron block, it will not add that much weight, maybe 100 lbs.
Exactly.
Find me a 106 mm stroke pushrod motor revving to over 6500. 6500 is the new 5000 for V8s.
An LS7 is fairly close at 101.6 mm and revs to 7000 rpm.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I believe the 2006 7.0 ls7 was 102 mm stroke and rev limited to 7100 rpm....does that count?

Edit: ....and pushrods.

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I loved that Boss prototype. 3 speed automatic and stupid fast and sounded PISSED OFF!

Ford also BUILT a from-scratch V10 and shoved it into a New Edge for testing. Never came to fruition but it was not based on the Triton V10. There’s clips of this car on YouTube and it was NASTY!
My memory is not what it used to be, but didn't Kasse help develope that boss 9 prototype?

I just read an article about that v-10, it was smaller than the truck v-10. They actually cut up and welded together two 4.6 blocks and had a custom odd fire crank made and ran it off of two separate EEC IV processors. The truck v-10 could not handle the odd fire firing order but the eec 4 could handle an inline 5 so they ran two processors, two maf sensors, etc and treated it like two inline 5's sharing the same crank.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Like someone said before, move the battery to the trunk to offset the weight and bring the balance back. Besides, you could easily find 100 lbs to remove from the car.

Anyway, the extra 100 lbs or so only matters if you are going to track the car or compete in super stock at the drag strip. For a street car which it most likely would be, who cares about a 100 lbs.
Sponsored

Last edited: