The Mustang is the last man standing.....again

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
What about the Lexus RC F, or the Jag F-Type, or the Blackwing, or AMG Mercs, or the BMW M5? Yeah, I know, those are not "pony" cars, but I suspect that there will be a few V8s out there for at least a few more years ...
None of those are offered in manual transmission
manual trans is an option for the Blackwing
Yeah, you beat me to it, but since I already went to the trouble to quote all of those posts...

And yes, the primary reason I bought another Mustang is that I wanted a manual transmission in my convertible, and choices are few. Plus, I like the car.

There’s technically absolutely zero need for a transmission at all in an EV.
The Porsche Taycan has a two speed transmission. I believe that they did it for awesome 0-60 times and decent range. I'm not an engineer, but I presume that there are benefits to running an electric motor at lower RPMs.
Still do not see how we can go all EV. I am in Ca and we dont have charging stations
everywhere.
And CA (home of Tesla) is probably far better than most states. That was the biggest reason I never bought an EV; I could not see how I could make long trips in this area without careful planning. Until recently, it was purely impossible to make a round trip to some places.

And even now, when I can fill up my 400+ mile range gasoline tank in about 5 minutes, I prefer that to a 200 mile range that takes 40+ minutes to "fill almost all the way up".
Sponsored

JacksonvilleBill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 M1672
None of those are offered in manual transmission :(. I'll never consider a car without a manual. With my manual 2021 mach 1 HP, and a manual 2022 miata club BBR on the way, it's looking like i'll be stuck with my final garage pretty soon...
I like your selection of cars, I have a 21 mach HP manual and a 22 miata gt manual, 2 completely different cars that are lot of fun to drive, may be my final garage too!

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
don’t. Know why lol autos are faster and more consistent … reason why I went with a 10spd
Without trying to turn this into a auto vs manual debate.

I honestly feel like its a fools game to buy the auto because its faster. You should buy the transmission that is fun and fits your lifestyle/needs. I generally prefer automatics also because its easier to push the car harder. but if all you care about is going faster than the next guy you should save for a electric car. Just my honest thoughts.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
As seen the slomaro is getting discontinued ....again, and Dodge is dropping the Hellcat/redeye/demon and all of their hemi's from their line up. It looks like the Mustang is the sole car out there besides a Corvette with a v8 in it. Wonder how long it is before they drop the V8 from the mustang line up. My Guess is they would use another variant of the 3.5 Ecoboost with similar power numbers as what the 5.0 has now, which I wouldn't mind at all. The 3.5 is very tunable and a lot of power is to be had with the twin turbos.
Bite your tongue! I hope they NEVER put a 3.5EB in a Mustang. I'd never buy another if that is the top option. The good news is, as long as the 5.0 is available inthe F150, there is no reason to not have it in the Mustang. The F150 5.0 & Mustang GT are each other's security blanket.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I hope they NEVER put a 3.5EB in a Mustang.
fine, they'll just bore it to 3.7EB. Happy? The motor is a beaut IMO and I love thrashing my F-150 like it was a Mustang. It just needs a stick shift.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
fine, they'll just bore it to 3.7EB. Happy? The motor is a beaut IMO and I love thrashing my F-150 like it was a Mustang. It just needs a stick shift.
The day a V8 is not available in the Mustang they should just cancel it. A Mustang is not a Mustang without a V8. I'd be OK with a 4 liter V8 Coyote, but not a 4 Liter V6. No V8, no sale.

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand why we can't have both. Other than lobbyists on both sides in Washington. Using gas and electricity make the most sense. More people using EV's will reduce the demand on gas lowering the cost. Will also reduce emission for all those worried about the environment. Most gas engines today are very low on emissions anyways.

I do not see a future without both for decades ahead. EV's are not sustainable and will not be for a while. We need massive improvements to our electrical grid to even support half of the country using EV's.

My point is, I think it's a mistake for manufacturers to abandon powerful gas engines. I think they will have to come back when they realize not everyone can be driving an EV for a very long time.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Who cares if the Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger go away. They were all getting to a point where only the rich could afford them anyway. The Mustang started off life as a good bargain. That's why they sold so many in the 60s. Today... the Mustang is either not wanted or too expensive for everyone. Might as well call it unobtainium for the masses. Maybe the same guy who owns an $80k truck also has a Mustang...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Who cares if the Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger go away. They were all getting to a point where only the rich could afford them anyway. The Mustang started off life as a good bargain. That's why they sold so many in the 60s. Today... the Mustang is either not wanted or too expensive for everyone. Might as well call it unobtainium for the masses. Maybe the same guy who owns an $80k truck also has a Mustang...
Fair amount of truth there, even though many don't want to believe it.

My pay hasn't increased anywhere near the rate of vehicle price increases, I can assure you.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
None of those are offered in manual transmission :(. I'll never consider a car without a manual. With my manual 2021 mach 1 HP, and a manual 2022 miata club BBR on the way, it's looking like i'll be stuck with my final garage pretty soon...
You can get Blackwing in manual

Sponsored

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
That is the truth there.

A combination of pedantic safety features, EPA regulations, absurdly low interest auto loans to all and the ever increasing demand by consumers for idiotic and distracting electronic gadgets has made these cars unserviceable by the dealers and unaffordable to their original target market.

I miss my paid-with-cash 1998 Cobra.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That is the truth there.

A combination of pedantic safety features, EPA regulations, absurdly low interest auto loans to all and the ever increasing demand by consumers for idiotic and distracting electronic gadgets has made these cars unserviceable by the dealers and unaffordable to their original target market.

I miss my paid-with-cash 1998 Cobra.
Beat me to it.

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Treigh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang HPP
Bite your tongue! I hope they NEVER put a 3.5EB in a Mustang. I'd never buy another if that is the top option. The good news is, as long as the 5.0 is available inthe F150, there is no reason to not have it in the Mustang. The F150 5.0 & Mustang GT are each other's security blanket.
The 3.5EB in the Mustang would be a monster though. You would have close if not the same horsepower as the 5.0, and tons more torque. I would see figures being similar to the Raptor 450HP and 510tq. You add that with the weight loss and this would probably be the best sports car on the market

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Well said. The days of an affordable "performance" car are well and truly over. Back in the day, the average Joe could scrape together the cash for a Mustang or a Chevelle, or with a bit of scrimping and saving even a Corvette.

And don't get me started on what they charge for pickup trucks these days, they are now the highest profit margin vehicles ever. There are parts of the country where you can still buy a starter house for less than a moderately equipped F-150 (my daughter actually did).

But on the other side of the coin, the vehicles made today are so much more complex than the cars made back in the '60s. Some of that is driven by the regulatory environment, but much of is driven by the expectations of customers. I doubt there would be much of a market for a car with no air conditioning, no power steering, manually cranked windows, manual door locks, a simple AM radio, etc. The original Mustangs and Camaros would be considered ridiculously spartan and primitive to a new car buyer today.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
The 3.5EB in the Mustang would be a monster though. You would have close if not the same horsepower as the 5.0, and tons more torque. I would see figures being similar to the Raptor 450HP and 510tq. You add that with the weight loss and this would probably be the best sports car on the market
As much HP as a stock GT is possible, not as much HP as a supercharged GT. I didn't buy a Mustang to keep it stock.
Sponsored