Sponsored

The mods have begun...2018 Mustang GT A10 PP1

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Still interested in this K&N intake, have u sat at idle and noticed the IAT’s yet?

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Good stuff....was the DA comparable for both runs?
Yes, DA's were within 200'. That said, I did correct for DA, so they are apples to apples, except for the difference in wind.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Still interested in this K&N intake, have u sat at idle and noticed the IAT’s yet?
Today I sat at some lights on my way home from having my new SVE R350 wheels installed. IATs were 10-11 deg F above ambient, but it wasn't stop and go traffic, so not worse case by any means. I was mostly distracted in my mind by the new lightweight SVE R350 wheels I just had installed!
SVE R350 Frt 45.jpg
SVE R350 rear qtr.jpg
SVE R350 rear.jpg
SVE R350 frt qtr.jpg

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Today I sat at some lights on my way home from having my new SVE R350 wheels installed. IATs were 10-11 deg F above ambient, but it wasn't stop and go traffic, so not worse case by any means. I was mostly distracted in my mind by the new lightweight SVE R350 wheels I just had installed!
SVE R350 Frt 45.jpg
SVE R350 rear qtr.jpg
SVE R350 rear.jpg
SVE R350 frt qtr.jpg
Looks good man. Lightweight wheels make a difference over those boat anchors that come with the pp1. Very noticeable as soon as switched. Consider lightweight Baer Eradispeed rotors too. They are a direct replacement to the rotors in the Brembo kit on the pp1.

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
So I finally decided to pull the plug on some mods for my '18 A10 GT that I don't believe will risk any warranty issues if problems arise in the future. I've chosen the following 1st round of upgrades:

K&N Intake
Airflow solutions OEM ported throttle body (awaiting receipt)
Airflow solutions OEM ported intake manifold (awaiting receipt)
Borla S-type catback (received, awaiting install, car is not running now since the TB and IM are at Airflow solutions in AZ).

The K&N intake gained noticeable mass airflow increases, no tune required. My 30-70 mph time of 2.75 seconds is noticeably quicker than stock (only change being the K&N intake).
I went with the stock OEM ported TB and intake manifold to reduce risk of warranty issue compared to larger TBs that would require a tune, or swapping to the GT350 IM which would require the 87 mm TB, also requiring a tune. Plus, portinf my stock '18 IM and TB is MUCH cheaper than going with the GT350 intake and Bullitt TB. I didn't want to change the tune at this time for warranty purposes.
The Borla S-type - went with this due to the sound, and the good hp and torque gains seen by MotoIQ: https://motoiq.com/testing-borlas-s-type-cat-back-exhaust-for-the-2018-mustang-gt/
13 rwhp peak gains, and a massive 33 ft-lbs at the low end. That's some great low end and top end pickup for just a catback. Plus, it's 20 lbs lighter than the stock catback.

I also bought the Borla H-pipe resonator to use if the regular S-type X-pipe setup is too loud for me. I think the H-pipe will lose a few hp compared to the X-pipe setup, but may be worth it if it quiets it down enough, reducing too much unwanted attention during heavy throttle.
I can answer any questions you have about modding your car here at @LethalPerformance! The K&N intake is good but there are for sure better alternative for the money. We have some killer sales going on now too. Please give us a call at 1.877.253.8425 and we would be happy to assist you with your modding needs and point you in the right direction! #TEAMLETHAL

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
SVE R350 Frt 45.jpg
SVE R350 rear qtr.jpg
SVE R350 rear.jpg
SVE R350 frt qtr.jpg
Looks good. Im tempted with those wheels. Lowered that would be nasty af. Btw, your front tires look a little stretched in comparison to the rears. What size are they? 275's?

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Didn't know Borla made a 3" Hpipe for these cars, do you have a part # on what you bought for the exhaust?
Borla #60661 is the H pipe that replaces the X pipe that comes w/ the S-type or Atak Borla exhaust. I combined it with the S type catback: Borla 140745.

The H pipe w/ the S type essentially makes it a "touring" exhaust. It is very "touring". I'd say under light throttle and cruise, it's no louder than stock. No drone. It's actually slightly less "bassy" in the car compared to the stock exhaust - maybe "negative drone"? Under medium throttle and heavy throttle it's a bit louder than stock, but definitely has a distinctive sound. It's perfect for me right now. I have the X pipe if I ever want a bit more volume in the future.

A few pics:
Borla tips.jpg
Borla H pipe.jpg
Engine no intake.JPG
Ported TB.jpg
KN Engine bay.jpg

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Looks good. Im tempted with those wheels. Lowered that would be nasty af. Btw, your front tires look a little stretched in comparison to the rears. What size are they? 275's?
Front are the factory 255/40 Michelin PS4S. Michelin's website says they can go up to 10" wide wheels, which is what these wheels are. So, they are stretched a bit, but not outside of the recommended wheel width. The new Mach 1 has the same tires on 9.5" wide wheels, for comparison. Rears are factory 275/40 PS4S. All four wheels are 19x10. Definitely has a more aggressive stance overall, front fits much more flush. Rear sticks out a bit, maybe 1/4" to 3/8" or so.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Front are the factory 255/40 Michelin PS4S. Michelin's website says they can go up to 10" wide wheels, which is what these wheels are. So, they are stretched a bit, but not outside of the recommended wheel width. The new Mach 1 has the same tires on 9.5" wide wheels, for comparison. Rears are factory 275/40 PS4S. All four wheels are 19x10. Definitely has a more aggressive stance overall, front fits much more flush. Rear sticks out a bit, maybe 1/4" to 3/8" or so.
Yeah the shelby 350 tires's look the exact same way. I kind of dig that look to be honest.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yeah the shelby 350 tires's look the exact same way. I kind of dig that look to be honest.
It helps improve steering response, which is probably why they are like that on the Shelby. If I could be specific with these wheels, I'd have the 255s on a 9.5" wide front wheel, but 10" works, too, and 9.5" wasn't an option. When I replace the front tires I may go 265/40 but I don't think I want to increase the sidewall profile, so we'll see. I have 7/32" tread left on all the factory tires, and these are my warm weather tires, so it will be at least a couple of years before I have to think about replacing. Oh, one of the rear tires is brand new: I had to buy a new 275/40 PS4S because of a long screw that destroyed my factory tire. Sucks having to throw away a tire with 7/32" tread depth and then spend $325 on a new one! Oh well, it's only money, I can make more.

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have been closely following your posts, thanks for all the info you have been sharing. I was thinking of going a similar route as you are. Are you happy with the differences the parts have made? Has cutting the weight on the wheels brought any positive changes you can feel during acceleration / handling?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I have been closely following your posts, thanks for all the info you have been sharing. I was thinking of going a similar route as you are. Are you happy with the differences the parts have made? Has cutting the weight on the wheels brought any positive changes you can feel during acceleration / handling?
I can speak from personal experience dropping the heavy pp1 wheels for light p51 wheels in my case, was able to go significantly wider and cut alot of rotational weight from each corner. That was long before ever tuning for e85 and there was a noticeable difference even on stock tune.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I just got the wheels installed yesterday morning and drove straight home (had to work). I didn't drive the car today, but wanted to. That said, the drive home was pretty much a straight shot with one round about so I didn't really get a good feel. I can say that on that one turn, turn in response felt crisper and improved, but I couldn't push it at all because of other traffic. I'll get more feel for it, hopefully tomorrow. I want to take it out in the morning on some twisties but may not get the chance tomorrow. DAs here have been 5000+ in the afternoons; lowest projected DA for tomorrow is 3700' between 6 and 7am, and projected to rise from there.

From a power perspective, the 4 mods I made definitely made a difference. Quite a bit more mid range torque and throttle response. Pulls harder up top. The extra hp plus the reduced weight will make it a pretty quick street car.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
A little update after some twisty mountain roads today. DA was 4400' at the bottom, 8000'+ at the top. Plus, I had my 3 kids (~175 lbs worth) in the car with me. Needless to say I wasn't trying to judge power as it wouldn't be a fair comparison. Anyway, turn in with the new wheels feels improved, it felt nice and responsive. I can't say much for how they affected acceleration since the DA was so high and I had the kids, and I was stuck behind a lot of cars so I wasn't pushing the engine much. All I know is PP1 w/ MagneRide is great in the turns, so I am always happy after I finish a drive like this.

Some IAT observations for those still curious re: the K&N:
On highway at 60+ mph constant speed: +8 over ambient
Up the mountain (15-20 miles up), 25-40 mph with mostly 20 mph curves (spent 3/4 of the time stuck behind regular cars so most of those 20 mph turns were actually only 20-25 mph, +/-), engine speed range 2200-4000 rpm (depending on if someone was in front of me): +20 over ambient
Going down the mountain roads at 30-45 mph (less traffic), 2500-4000 rpm: +12 to 15 mph over ambient

I love this car. Did the driving in Sport+ mode with the paddle shifters. I can say that, even w/ the high DA, I can feel the additional low/mid range torque from the mods compared to other times I've been up there. It would pull strong enough even below 3000 rpm, very pleased.
Sponsored