OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Thank you very very much, I appreciate this data. When you were stock, did u have the paper filter in or aftermarket drop-in?

Never considered this intake before but I’m intrigued, does it really feel like 20 whp faster? That seems like too much from just an intake
I had the paper stock OEM filter for the stock tests. Totally, completely stock engine as it came from the factory for the stock tests.

It's hard to say if it feels like 20 rwhp more since it's been a few weeks since I drove it. I drove it around a few times for a few days in late April and early May after installing the K&N intake, and then took the TB and IM off 3 weeks ago to send to be ported by Bret Barber. I didn't really get enough seat time for a good before/after seat of the pants comparison. I will say that I measured a 30-70 mph run with the K&N intake installed, and it was very quick. In fact, my 30-70 mph time was only 2.75 seconds in Sport+ mode, although I did have a small tail wind. But that's flying. C&D's test of the A10 GT that did 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and 1/4 mile in 12.1 @ 120 mph had a 30-70 mph time of 3.1 seconds. For comparison, bone stock I did a 0-60 run in 3.80 seconds with my Michelin sport All season A/S 3+ tires (stock sizes) in Sport+ mode. That was a perfect launch and the closest I ever came to that bone stock again was 3.92 seconds, and a few in the upper 3.9s. I didn't get any good launches after I installed the K&N intake, and with only a handful of attempts, but I was able to get 3.90 seconds with a poor start. I think with an equal start to my stock run of 3.80 seconds, I would have easily been in the upper 3.6s with the K&N intake.

While the TB and IM are at Airflow solutions, I also ordered a Borla S type w/ H resonator and lighter wheels (SVE R350). I'm going to put it all back together (K&N intake, ported TB and IM, Borla exhaust, lighter wheels) when I get the TB and IM back, hopefully soon. I'll do some more data logs and acceleration tests then.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Hello, I am researching CAI right now, and seen this thread. Did you notice an immediate difference in your car power (acceleration and speed) when you had the K/N filter installed?

Thanks
Hi, please read my above post, I think that will help provide some insight.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Interesting thanks for the info, I would just think 22 whp would be immediately noticeable but I don’t know. You’re definitely flowing more air so that would hint at more power, right?

Also, how are IAT’s with this intake sitting at idle? That is my main concern

I had the paper stock OEM filter for the stock tests. Totally, completely stock engine as it came from the factory for the stock tests.

It's hard to say if it feels like 20 rwhp more since it's been a few weeks since I drove it. I drove it around a few times for a few days in late April and early May after installing the K&N intake, and then took the TB and IM off 3 weeks ago to send to be ported by Bret Barber. I didn't really get enough seat time for a good before/after seat of the pants comparison. I will say that I measured a 30-70 mph run with the K&N intake installed, and it was very quick. In fact, my 30-70 mph time was only 2.75 seconds in Sport+ mode, although I did have a small tail wind. But that's flying. C&D's test of the A10 GT that did 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and 1/4 mile in 12.1 @ 120 mph had a 30-70 mph time of 3.1 seconds. For comparison, bone stock I did a 0-60 run in 3.80 seconds with my Michelin sport All season A/S 3+ tires (stock sizes) in Sport+ mode. That was a perfect launch and the closest I ever came to that bone stock again was 3.92 seconds, and a few in the upper 3.9s. I didn't get any good launches after I installed the K&N intake, and with only a handful of attempts, but I was able to get 3.90 seconds with a poor start. I think with an equal start to my stock run of 3.80 seconds, I would have easily been in the upper 3.6s with the K&N intake.

While the TB and IM are at Airflow solutions, I also ordered a Borla S type w/ H resonator and lighter wheels (SVE R350). I'm going to put it all back together (K&N intake, ported TB and IM, Borla exhaust, lighter wheels) when I get the TB and IM back, hopefully soon. I'll do some more data logs and acceleration tests then.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
How are you launching those are some good times
On the 3.80 sec run with a bone stock car: Sport+ mode, stick in D, left foot brake, rev to about 2k rpm or slightly under, release brake, immediately go to 1/2 throttle after brake release, then by about 20 mph begin to go full throttle quickly, but not a full-on throttle stab as to try to control wheel spin. This was done with no burnout on fairly cold tires (having driven around from 35 to 45 mph for about 7-8 minutes give or take to warm everything up fully).
On the runs where I get into full throttle too early, too much tire spin; on the runs where I delay full throttle too long by easing into it more slowly, I waste time and those generally yield low 4s.

Like I said before, I've never been able to duplicate that 3.80 sec run in about 7 or 8 attempts since. I'd say it was nearly a perfect launch for the street on good all season tires. All my other decent launches have been noticeably less good off the line, resulting in 3.92 and other 3.9s. Just to clarify, I type 3.80 because it was exactly that. I was wishing for that last hundredth so I could say it was a 3.7 sec. car, but alas, just missed it.

The 30-70 mph 2.75 sec. run w/ K&N intake there was no skill involved. Coast at 15 mph, stab the throttle making sure it downshifts into 1st gear (also in Sport+ mode), and GO! Yes, the tires spin, but by 30 with tire spin the car is shifting or about to shift into 2nd gear anyway.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
On the 3.80 sec run with a bone stock car: Sport+ mode, stick in D, left foot brake, rev to about 2k rpm or slightly under, release brake, immediately go to 1/2 throttle after brake release, then by about 20 mph begin to go full throttle quickly, but not a full-on throttle stab as to try to control wheel spin. This was done with no burnout on fairly cold tires (having driven around from 35 to 45 mph for about 7-8 minutes give or take to warm everything up fully).
On the runs where I get into full throttle too early, too much tire spin; on the runs where I delay full throttle too long by easing into it more slowly, I waste time and those generally yield low 4s.

Like I said before, I've never been able to duplicate that 3.80 sec run in about 7 or 8 attempts since. I'd say it was nearly a perfect launch for the street on good all season tires. All my other decent launches have been noticeably less good off the line, resulting in 3.92 and other 3.9s. Just to clarify, I type 3.80 because it was exactly that. I was wishing for that last hundredth so I could say it was a 3.7 sec. car, but alas, just missed it.

The 30-70 mph 2.75 sec. run w/ K&N intake there was no skill involved. Coast at 15 mph, stab the throttle making sure it downshifts into 1st gear (also in Sport+ mode), and GO! Yes, the tires spin, but by 30 with tire spin the car is shifting or about to shift into 2nd gear anyway.
Switching to track from sport + AND disabling advanced trac should yield slightly better due to increased aggressiveness and faster shifting. Drag mode only usable with better rubber out back and at WOT otherwise too much spin.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget to take fuel trims into account when comparing lb/min data.

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Hello,

What made you go with the K/N Intake over other cold air Intakes such as, the Ford Power Pack for the 2018-2020 Mustang?

Thanks

Rod27

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
I'd definitely be interested in this intake but it's not CARB certified. It sucks living in Commiefornia. :crying:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Today I finally installed all my mods: the Borla S type w/ Borla H pipe resonator, Airflow solutions/Bret Barber ported OEM throttle body and intake manifold, and re-installed the K&N intake (#63-2605). It started up; smooth idle. Cold start sounded great. I took it for a drive long enough to get it up to full operating temperature, gave it some part throttle tests, then brought it home and let it idle a couple of minutes. I didn't give it more than about 1/2 throttle during the drive; it was raining and I want to give the computer a chance to re-learn the new higher airflows, but I can definitely feel the additional torque at part throttle with this combination of mods.

The Borla exhaust sounds amazing. With the resonator it's barely louder than stock at light throttle, which is what I wanted. It is a deeper, fuller tone, for sure. Absolutely zero drone. I will see how loud it gets once I nail it after I install the new wheels (hopefully Monday) and it dries up around here, but as of right now, I'm very pleased. The chrome tips look awesome out the back as well. I weighed the stock catback at 74 lbs. That thing is HEAVY. The Borla S type w/ H-pipe resonator weighs about 55 lbs (slightly under). For those curious, the X pipe is 4 lbs lighter than the H pipe resonator, so the S type exhaust w/ X pipe is about 51 lbs.

Two of my 24 lbs SVE R350 19x10 wheels that I ordered last week arrived on Friday, but the other two were delayed for some unknown reason in Salt Lake City on their way here so I was not able to put them on the car today. Those two are scheduled to be delivered on Monday. I inspected both wheels that I received - all I can say is "WOW". Pics don't do them justice. The gloss black look GREAT! And they do feel light. I am stoked to put those on my car. The aesthetics combined with the lighter weight makes those a great purchase in my mind.

I only drove the car a few times w/ the K&N intake prior to taking the car apart, so my memory of the car that I'm comparing these newfound power gains due to these 4 mods is when it was bone stock. My "seat of the pants" meter hadn't been calibrated yet on the stock car + K&N intake.

I think the combination of the 4 bolt ons plus the lighter wheels are going to make this quite a street car, around here, anyway. Plus, the Borla exhaust is almost 20 lbs lighter, and I left the ~4 lbs engine cover off when I put everything back together, since it's just dead weight directly over the front axle anyway. Every bit helps, right?

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I was able to do some acceleration runs today with the new engine mods (I have not installed the lightweight SVE R350 wheels yet). Mods include the K&N CAI intake, Airflow solutions OEM ported TB and IM, and Borla S type catback w/ Borla H-pipe resonator. All runs in Sport+ mode w/ the shifter in D on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (factory size) tires. The all seasons spin too much in drag mode on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, hurting times, thus, I use Sport+ mode. All runs were done on the exact same stretch of road.

Bone stock (OEM paper air filter): 0-60: 3.80 seconds
Today with mods on my first and only attempt: 3.78 seconds. This is still on the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ all seasons. Tiny improvement, but I babied it quite a bit off the line to avoid wheel spin. Definitely had more in it than I gave it. Tire pressure 33 psi and no burnout. Compared to the 3.80 sec stock run, the launch today was not as good.

With K&N intake only: 20-70 mph: 3.53 sec (w/ slight tail wind)
With K&N intake, ported TB and IM, and Borla S-type catback w/ Borla H-pipe: 20-70 mph: 3.28 sec (with cross wind), +0.25 sec improvement over K&N intake only run.

Considering the cross wind vs. tail wind differences between the two runs, and the fact that I saw a full quarter second improvement from 20-70 mph with the addition of the ported TB, IM, and Borla S type even with the worse wind conditions shows that those 3 mods really work. That 0.25 sec improvement over such a short time period (less than 3.5 seconds) would translate into even larger improvement through an entire 1/4 mile run or say, a 30-100 mph run.

Unfortunately, I never did a 20-70 mph run bone stock, but I can say that the K&N intake alone definitely improved the power and would have resulted in quicker times than in bone stock form as well.

So overall, these 4 mods really woke it up and improved acceleration that you can feel and easily measure. Low end torque is also noticeably stronger.

While cruising, IATs never got more than 6 degrees F above ambient; I didn't stop long enough to note IATs at extended idle.

I'm too chicken (or smart, maybe?) to do a full 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile run on the street, or a 60-130 mph run. So I have to live with these lower speed, more legal, tests.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
This is the kind of data I like to hear about, real world results. Nice stuff keep it up!

I was able to do some acceleration runs today with the new engine mods (I have not installed the lightweight SVE R350 wheels yet). Mods include the K&N CAI intake, Airflow solutions OEM ported TB and IM, and Borla S type catback w/ Borla H-pipe resonator. All runs in Sport+ mode w/ the shifter in D on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (factory size) tires. The all seasons spin too much in drag mode on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, hurting times, thus, I use Sport+ mode. All runs were done on the exact same stretch of road.

Today with mods on my first and only attempt: 3.78 seconds. This is still on the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ all seasons. Tiny improvement, but I babied it quite a bit off the line to avoid wheel spin. Definitely had more in it than I gave it. Tire pressure 33 psi and no burnout. Compared to the 3.80 sec stock run, the launch today was not as good.

With K&N intake, ported TB and IM, and Borla S-type catback w/ Borla H-pipe: 20-70 mph: 3.28 sec (with cross wind), +0.25 sec improvement over K&N intake only run.

Considering the cross wind vs. tail wind differences between the two runs, and the fact that I saw a full quarter second improvement from 20-70 mph with the addition of the ported TB, IM, and Borla S type even with the worse wind conditions shows that those 3 mods really work. That 0.25 sec improvement over such a short time period (less than 3.5 seconds) would translate into even larger improvement through an entire 1/4 mile run or say, a 30-100 mph run.

Unfortunately, I never did a 20-70 mph run bone stock, but I can say that the K&N intake alone definitely improved the power and would have resulted in quicker times than in bone stock form as well.

So overall, these 4 mods really woke it up and improved acceleration that you can feel and easily measure. Low end torque is also noticeably stronger.

While cruising, IATs never got more than 6 degrees F above ambient; I didn't stop long enough to note IATs at extended idle.

I'm too chicken (or smart, maybe?) to do a full 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile run on the street, or a 60-130 mph run. So I have to live with these lower speed, more legal, tests.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Good stuff....was the DA comparable for both runs?

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible

Didn't know Borla made a 3" Hpipe for these cars, do you have a part # on what you bought for the exhaust?
Sponsored