Sponsored

The Hunt for the Best Funnel for the S550 Mustang

ARAMP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I recently picked up a 2020 GT350 with 1000 miles on it. The oil looked pretty good but not really knowing the history of the car, I decided to change the oil on the first day of ownership.

New Black Sunshine.jpg

I had used AST locking funnels before on other vehicles, and had been happy with them but I couldn't tell from the website which would work with the GT350. After some internet searching, I found some other brands that may or may not have worked well enough, but that internet search lead me right back here to this forum. Our very own @pilotgore 3D prints and sells specific application funnels for our cars. And, even better than just the specialty funnel for pouring oil in the engine, he also has a drain funnel for changing out the oil filter. For $100 shipped for the set (including caps for the funnel to keep out dust), I decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did.

It's a bit difficult to see in the picture, but this is the upper control arm and the tie rod on the drivers side. After taking the wheel and tire off, the filter drain funnel fits around the cartridge perfectly. Not a drop was spilled in the chassis area while removing and replacing the filter.

20220309_193205.jpg

After figuring out Ford's drain plug (I haven't owned a Ford since the 90s), I was able to empty all 10 quarts of oil out. I also figured out that my drain pan holds 9.75 quarts. LOL.

20220309_200932.jpg

When I originally saw the funnel, I thought it was odd that it was square. After using it, I realize the genius of the design...a quart of oil fits perfectly in it.

20220309_202346.jpg

I ordered some BRM jacking rails, but they haven't come in yet so trying to figure out how to jack the car up was the part that took the longest. After using both the filter funnel and the oil fill funnel, it's apparent that some thought and design effort went into making these. I don't know @pilotgore other than messaging him back and forth on the forum, but I do know that he's not some business making these, he's a guy that saw a problem and found a solution with trial and error. It's also my understanding is that he makes a couple different versions for different vehicles. The quality is top notch and it works like a charm. If you're tired of spilling oil from the filter on your chassis or spilling oil down your valve cover, I'd highly recommend giving this funnel set a try.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I recently picked up a 2020 GT350 with 1000 miles on it. The oil looked pretty good but not really knowing the history of the car, I decided to change the oil on the first day of ownership.

New Black Sunshine.jpg

I had used AST locking funnels before on other vehicles, and had been happy with them but I couldn't tell from the website which would work with the GT350. After some internet searching, I found some other brands that may or may not have worked well enough, but that internet search lead me right back here to this forum. Our very own @pilotgore 3D prints and sells specific application funnels for our cars. And, even better than just the specialty funnel for pouring oil in the engine, he also has a drain funnel for changing out the oil filter. For $100 shipped for the set (including caps for the funnel to keep out dust), I decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did.

It's a bit difficult to see in the picture, but this is the upper control arm and the tie rod on the drivers side. After taking the wheel and tire off, the filter drain funnel fits around the cartridge perfectly. Not a drop was spilled in the chassis area while removing and replacing the filter.

20220309_193205.jpg

After figuring out Ford's drain plug (I haven't owned a Ford since the 90s), I was able to empty all 10 quarts of oil out. I also figured out that my drain pan holds 9.75 quarts. LOL.

20220309_200932.jpg

When I originally saw the funnel, I thought it was odd that it was square. After using it, I realize the genius of the design...a quart of oil fits perfectly in it.

20220309_202346.jpg

I ordered some BRM jacking rails, but they haven't come in yet so trying to figure out how to jack the car up was the part that took the longest. After using both the filter funnel and the oil fill funnel, it's apparent that some thought and design effort went into making these. I don't know @pilotgore other than messaging him back and forth on the forum, but I do know that he's not some business making these, he's a guy that saw a problem and found a solution with trial and error. It's also my understanding is that he makes a couple different versions for different vehicles. The quality is top notch and it works like a charm. If you're tired of spilling oil from the filter on your chassis or spilling oil down your valve cover, I'd highly recommend giving this funnel set a try.
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on the 3D printed gear, and I’m really happy you found the parts useful!!

Stay in touch!!

-Jon

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford F150 XLT Supercab
Will these funnels fit a Gen 3 5.0 F150 engine?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Will these funnels fit a Gen 3 5.0 F150 engine?
I’m 95% sure that it will, but if you would like to PM me, we can confirm it. I believe it’s the same funnel as the GT500
Sponsored