Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jaime and Don: Good points both and unfortunately Jaime, you are on the money. It is almost a full-time job to avoid shooting data out into the ether these days and for most, it's just too much work. As you said, minimize as best you can and hope for the best.
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Thanks for sending. Interesting.
About 10 years ago, I watched a demo by some engineers from Israel that had hacked into several cars' control bus. For example, they were able to activate individual brake pressure inputs via the ABS controller. Back then, their access was via the TPMS network as that is an open system.
They also were able to navigate through the Sat Radio into the CAN bus to get to the throttle position sensor, where they were able to show throttle control.
They did a demo from a car pacing another car to show what they could do (on a controlled car of course). Scary stuff. Hope the networks are getting more secure. Unfortunately, security costs money (until it becomes a safety problem).

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
If a solution is reached here, I will follow suite. Especially if is a simple pull the plug (fuse) solution.
I haven't followed this thread, but I did see the fuse chart posted on the previous page. TCU / telematics is what you're looking for, and the one posted even said modem. In theory, pulling its fuse is all that is needed, and it was indeed all I needed to do to mine to make it stop sending.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Sure its futile, jist go alomg with it, right? Google isn't reporting me to my insurance company.
So you woke up one morning and realized a bunch of companies each stuffed their own gigantic pinecone up your arse. Ford was the latest one in, but instead of a pinecone, they only had a small marble. And they didn't push it in very far, in fact, it's poking half way out, and you can see it.

I think these folks are saying they're just going to sit there and stare at that shiny sphere since the pinecones are too difficult for them to dislodge.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
So you woke up one morning and realized a bunch of companies each stuffed their own gigantic pinecone up your arse. Ford was the latest one in, but instead of a pinecone, they only had a small marble. And they didn't push it in very far, in fact, it's poking half way out, and you can see it.

I think these folks are saying they're just going to sit there and stare at that shiny sphere since the pinecones are too difficult for them to dislodge.
Lets call them anal kegel exercisers, or prostate stimulators:sunglasses:.

Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
"Updated one minute ago."

Not sure what to make of that but the vehicle is definitely still communicating with the Ford Pass servers over cellular.
I wonder if it utilizes your cell phone as a secondary communications device?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

I can say that I've never owned a car that spied on me. I am a captain of a $100,000,000 aircraft that spies on me, and actively tells on me if i do something that I am not supposed to do. I have no problem with that. I do not own the aircraft. I certainly understand the "trust but verify" approach, especially when I am responsible for 200 souls on board and such a large chunk of change.

In the case of the $107,080 mustang I own.... I bought it..... it is mine. Its nobody's business how i drive it or what I do with it.

So I can honestly say I had no idea Ford was not only collecting our data, but also selling our information to insurance companies. I feel this way based upon principle. I know certain parts of my cell phone use compromise certain parts of my privacy. I make the choice how I use my technology and I make my own decisions as to what I allow or not.

In this case, I had no idea. If given a choice, i choose no not have data collected on a car I own. I will take your advice and pull the fuse. Ill get with my tech who says he knows how to completely disable the system and see what he says.

Ford should be upfront and crystal clear when they install these devices and be truthful about their intent and what they do with your data.

I draw the line when companies are taking a car that I paid for and use it for their own mobile research platform and data sharing endeavor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Many connectivity devices will use any means to acquire a data connection to phone home. I dont know how our system works, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I draw the line when companies are taking a car that i paid for and using it for their own mobile research platform and data sharing endeavor.
Right.

Check it.

You give Ford money. Ford gives you car. End of transaction.

Or so you thought... now you're roped into sending them an endless stream of data forever?

You think they give your data to the insurance companies for free? When was the last time you received a check in the mail for that data?

That's why they have to say you have a choice to cancel any time. I think you just experienced on the phone how much of a choice you really have.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Many connectivity devices will use any means to acquire a data connection to phone home. I don't know how our system works, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
I know it uses Bluetooth and the internet.

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I mean, it's 100% possible to program the car to connect to a free Wi-Fi hotspot from outside the coffee shop to send the data, but there's no way they're going that far.

or is there

crap wheres my tinfoil hat

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Right.

Check it.

You give Ford money. Ford gives you car. End of transaction.

Or so you thought... now you're roped into sending them an endless stream of data forever?

You think they give your data to the insurance companies for free? When was the last time you received a check in the mail for that data?

That's why they have to say you have a choice to cancel any time. I think you just experienced on the phone how much of a choice you really have.
Hold me beer and watch this. Nice find on the fuse. I'll take it one step further and completely disable the system.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I mean, it's 100% possible to program the car to connect to a free Wi-Fi hotspot from outside the coffee shop to send the data, but there's no way they're going that far.

or is there

crap wheres my tinfoil hat
Oh, so cars and coffee is just a conspiracy to collect data in mass? LOL, sorry, I couldn't help myself.....

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
I can say that I've never owned a car that spied on me. I am a captain of a $100,000,000 aircraft that spies on me, and actively tells on me if i do something that I am not supposed to do. I have no problem with that. I do not own the aircraft. I certainly understand the "trust but verify" approach, especially when I am responsible for 200 souls on board and such a large chunk of change.

In the case of the $107,080 mustang I own.... I bought it..... it is mine. Its nobody's business how i drive it or what I do with it.

So I can honestly say I had no idea Ford was not only spying on us, but also selling our information to insurance companies (and who knows who else). The approach is sneaky and immoral. I feel this way based upon principle. I know certain parts of my cell phone use compromise certain parts of my privacy. I make the choice how I use my technology and I make my own decisions as to what I allow or not.

In Fords approach, I had no idea. I feel blindsided and betrayed. I will take your advice and pull the fuse. Ill get with my tech who says he knows how to completely disable the system and see what he says.

A large corporation becomes a scumbag operation when they resort to such tactics. They ought to be upfront and crystal clear when they install these devices and be truthful about their intent and what they do with your data.

I draw the line when companies are taking a car that I paid for and use it for their own mobile research platform and data sharing endeavor.
I agree Tom, and will be given this a try. But sounds like before I cancel Ford pass I need to go to a Ford dealer and spend my points on motor oil.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
The only way your insurance will go up is if you get in an accident in your gt500. That, or points on your license. Stick to backroads, stay away from C&C.

m9Dg4JE.gif
Not true. My insurance premium went up by $2K/6 months because Ford collected my speed data while I was driving on the back roads and reported or sold it to my insurance company. This is real.
Sponsored