The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The FordPass concept is a really interesting concept. Isn't it great that you can remote start your car, monitor some key vitals, and also determine its position? Well, yes it is.

However there is a dark side to all of this. Ford monitors how your car is driven, position, and certain parameters such as speed and how you drive.

Have a look at the Ford Pass privacy policy. They are pretty straight forward how they will use your data and what it could mean to you and your privacy.

I'm all for these neat features. But what I dont understand is why corporate America feels the necessity to capture my data and use it as a tool for what?

I just had my CFTP delivered. I am already in the process of disabling the data connection of my CFTP to Mother Ford. My tech says he knows how to disable the link and I'm looking forward to hearing his approach to how to get this done. I recently came across a thread over in the GT350 section that addresses this issue. Could it be as simple as pulling a fuse? So far, no other system has been affected ny disabling this data link.

I'll be working with my tech to see what he has to suggest. So far, if it is as simple as pulling a fuse, all those who have concerns about your data, your driving habits, and your privacy are being used now have an option.

Initially, anyone who is concerned with how ford collects data associated with you has the option to opt out. The way I read it is that you can opt out, but you are opting out of the ford pass program. Data that is specific to your VIN is still being collected. How it is stored and used from that point on is a mystery.

I plant to opt out, and disable the data link. It is none of Fords business how I drive my car, where I go, or how I utilize a car that i bought and paid for.

So, i think that this is an interesting subject, both from a tech standpoint as well as from a privacy perspective.

Your thoughts, please.

Someone just posted this over in the GT350 section of this forum.

How to disable your 4G data link to Ford
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/4g-modem-disabling-instructions.146860/
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Here is a post from another thread. I've included it here for reference.

The way I see it is that you disconnect the antennas to the TCU or remove the sim card. The description says the sim card is not serviceable, so if the TCU is a sealed unit, then it will have to be done through the antenna inputs. Based upon the info from the chairman, that document says that the primary means of communication for the TCU is through the GPS/satellite antenna (which explains why the job 2 antennas were updated. I have job 1 antennas on my GT350s, and have never had a satellite or GPS reception issue. But then the document goes on to say that the TCU also uses cellular antennas. So it seems that you have multiple redundancies for data connectivity. You'd have to disconnect all antenna input to the TCU to keep from receiving data. As stated, I'm sure that this will trigger all kinds of alerts and codes. I'm not a Forscan expert, but some here are. I hope they look into this and can narrow the parameters down for manipulation.

The TCU is nothing but a cell phone. How would you be able to disconnect the device from the network? I would look into removing the SIM. I will have to find out how non-serviceable the TCU really is.

From the document:
Vehicle Wi-Fi Hotspot (if equipped)
The TCU provides the vehicle Wi-Fi access point. The TCU communicates to the cellular network by two means. The primary connection is through the cable to the cellular antenna incorporated into the GPS/Satellite antenna. The secondary means is through the cable to the TCU antenna.

TCU Antenna The TCU antenna is used to boost reception for incoming and outgoing cellular network data. It is a compact, cellular phone type, planar inverted-F antenna.

Cellular Antennas Two cellular antennas are used. The LH and RH antennas are positioned between the respective quarter panel and the rear bumper cover. They receive the radio waves containing cellular data. The signals are sent through the cellular antenna coaxial cables to a splitter (or combiner) and then to the TCU.

TCU The TCU is a radio transceiver which connects the vehicle to a cellular network. It is connected to the CAN for exchanging data and commands with other modules. It contains a non-serviceable SIM card. The TCU is assigned to the VIN of the vehicle and will not work in another vehicle. The TCU requires PMI when it is replaced.

Item 5: TCU antenna
Item 6: TCU
Item 8: Cellular antenna splitter
Item 9: Cellular antenna

TCU.jpg

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I fully support the notion of once i buy it, its mine, and the data is mine too. I do like the ford pass services.. I feel like in reality, the best compromise is going to come from capitalism, and someone, whith knowledge after you figure out what where needs to be disconnected, create a "kit that is as simple as flipping a switch to allow access/power.

IE, during the week i want fordpass services, switch is on, on the weekends when i do the other more adrenaline infused activities, switch is off.

I cant offer any help, but subscribed for the process

Sponsored

Wilson & Co

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang-less
Not much help to topic, but in 2020 and beyond its hard to purchase any electronic device over say $500 that doesnt collect data for the purpose of corporate profiting.

AI/ML and data at the edge is where companies are generating new rev streams and 5g will only make this a bigger benefit to corporations and hurt privacy

Wilson & Co

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang-less
i include ICE vehicles in "electronic devices" too.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
So true but I have faith that one of the experts here, (or a Ford tech,) will have an answer to the problem without having to take the hard road as Tom described.
There are multiple ways that come to mind, but none that don't require a good bit of know how and ingenuity. Pulling the fuse is the easiest option as long as you don't mind losing in-car Wi-Fi and the ability to lock the doors with your phone.

Last edited:

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
There are multiple ways that come to mind, but none that don't require a good bit of know how and ingenuity. Pulling the fuse is the easiest option as long as you don't mind losing the remote door locks and in-car Wi-Fi.
Sorry, but when you say remote door locks, are you reffering to the key FOB? Or the phone app?Screw wifi IMO

Sponsored

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
Locking the doors with your phone. Thanks, I'll edit the post above.
No, thank you! Looks like i'll be simply pulling the fuse... Last question, will pulling the fuse throw any kind of constant warning lights?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I just got off the phone with Ford. The paranoia is true. I was informed that they do indeed share data with insurance companies. She didnt understand my concern. She said most people want it so that they can get insurance discounts for safe driving. I calmly and politely explained that this is the GT500, A high performance, 760 horsepower sports car that nobody, and I mean nobody would want their data being shared with an insurance company. She opted me out of all the data sharing.

Next I asked about disabling the data link. She asked why I would want to do that. I told her that there is a publication out that states for me to call to accomplish this. I wish to accomplish this.

I was transfered to "in vehicle technology" and was informed that this cannot be done. It is integral to the car and it will always record and report data. I said I don't want my car to record and report data. He suggested I bring it into a dealership and see what the service department could do. I said, well how about I pull the 5 amp fuse that powers the TCU? "but sir... why would you want to do that" and "I cannot recommend you do that"

Folks, this is no bullshit. They are monitoring your driving, position, speeds, parameters, etc and if you have not opted out, they are collecting and sharing your data. If you opt out, they are not supposed to share the data, but Ford will always be collecting and storing your data.

I will pull my fuse. I hope that someone will be able to verify that this feature built into our cars is disabled by doing this.

This is a three step process.
First call (800) 392-3673. At the prompt say "Ford Pass". You will be connected to a Ford Pass representative.
Second, call the same number, At the prompt say "In vehicle technology team". The next prompts are 1 followed by 2.
Third, pull the damn fuse for the TCU

Step 2 isn't going to do you any good because they will not help you disable the data link. At the very least, you should accomplish a master reset to wipe any preferences that are in Ford Pass so that data isn't accidentally shared.

Screenshot_20200826-225825_Chrome.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot_20200826-225239_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
To me it’s just not worth bothering. You are being tracked with everything you do. Google..... all of them. Your personal computer, your cell phone, your cable provider, your wife’s car, every car built in the last 10 years, restaurants, credit cards, he’ll even street cameras... everything.

Just not worth stressing over it if you ask me.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
To me it’s just not worth bothering. You are being tracked with everything you do. Google..... all of them. Your personal computer, your cell phone, your cable provider, your wife’s car, every car built in the last 10 years, restaurants, credit cards, he’ll even street cameras... everything.

Just not worth stressing over it if you ask me.
Jamie, you don't track your car. Folks that do, or even drive fast are getting insurance rate hikes because the driving data is being shared with insurance companies. I doubt you drive like a little old lady. When your insurance goes up for no reason, now you know why.
Sponsored