The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine doesn't actually complain either; maybe I didn't use the right word. There's no visible error message, no warning light on the dash, no nothing. But when I connect with ForScan I can see some DTCs stored. It's no big deal, but I thought I'd ask anyway, just in case there was a way to suppress them.
I've even managed to hide the FordPass icon from the Sync settings page. Now everything looks and feels as if I hadn't got a modem in the first place. But it still complains internally, in its internal error logs.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
An update for anyone who has any interest in the antenna array on job 2 cars (shark fin style). There is a secondary antenna on the parcel shelf so it seems. This was discovered when I was installing my roll cage. While I had the opportunity, I pulled the shelf liner and took some photos.

There are 2 coax cables connected to the TCU modem. One goes to the shark fin antenna, and the other goes to the secondary auxiliary antenna on the parcel shelf (PIFA antenna).

Disabling the TCU modem is the same procedure, either pull the fuse or locate the modem and disconnect all leads to it.

See the photo below of the PIFA (Planar Inverted F Antenna) located on the parcel shelf.

20201027_151654.jpg

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
just found this thread, holy crap. All this unnecessary tech, wires, computerized boxes, monitoring devices, data collection on our muscle cars. WTF? So much to go wrong over time, so much overcomplicated tech. Our favorite cars becoming computers with wheels.

This is why I have almost no interest in new cars anymore. It's sort of a blessing, really.

rhino20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500 (Chassis L2023)
As I mentioned, the shark antenna uses a different plastic connector (blue). I was able to locate it via mouser electronics. I ordered 25 pieces. If anyone would like to swap antennas, PM me and I would be happy to send you the plastic part that you would need. They are currently backordered, so I will just rob the plastic connector off my original antenna and replace it when the item is shipped to me.

connector.jpg
Tom,

Finally got around to swapping out my antenna and forgot about the connector. Did you ever receive these from Mouser? If not, did the connector survive when you removed it from the shark fin antenna?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom,

Finally got around to swapping out my antenna and forgot about the connector. Did you ever receive these from Mouser? If not, did the connector survive when you removed it from the shark fin antenna?

Thanks!
Yes I did. Let me know if you'd like one. Its the generic non ford version, but it is the same part minus a proprietary (non important) feature).

Sorry for the late reply

rhino20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500 (Chassis L2023)
Yes I did. Let me know if you'd like one. Its the generic non ford version, but it is the same part minus a proprietary (non important) feature).

Sorry for the late reply
Tom, thanks for the reply. I was having several warranty issues, some small, some not so small, taken care of on Friday at my dealership and I had a couple of the service techs take care of my antenna swap for me. The lead tech, who is pretty damn good, was able to unlock the original connector from the shark fin antenna without any damage so I was able to reuse it with my puck antenna. Thanks for the offer, very generous of you.

Thanks again for the reply. I am sending you a PM with photos of my OEM brake pads which I removed today, with the help of the dealership tech, who is a heck of a guy and one of the reasons I am loyal to my dealership.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I read this whole thread, now I've come back ,and haven't read all 330 posts a second time.

My question is, if one disconnects the module in the trunk, does the data not get stored, or is it stored somewhere else and only transmitted through the module? My concern is if you disconnected the module, could the data be accessed by a 3rd party through another means, say taking the car to the dealer for warranty work, or if they reconnect the module, would all the data then be transmitted?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I read this whole thread, now I've come back ,and haven't read all 330 posts a second time.

My question is, if one disconnects the module in the trunk, does the data not get stored, or is it stored somewhere else and only transmitted through the module? My concern is if you disconnected the module, could the data be accessed by a 3rd party through another means, say taking the car to the dealer for warranty work, or if they reconnect the module, would all the data then be transmitted?
I don't know and im not sure it it is possible to know the answer to that question, unless you happen to be an engineer on the project for Ford.

I don't think there is an infinite data storage device for this purpose and the buffer is probably only large enough to cover temporary gaps in cellular signal. I am not saying with certainty, but my money is on the fact that Ford expects this system to work as advertised and therefore, it would be reasonable to say that there isn't a large storage device to record your data over a long period of time and dump it all every time you drop your car at a dealer. Ford isn't going to spend any more on a system than they have to.

Reactions: JT1

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Prem PP1
Hi folks,
Crazy thread! So I made it through 18 pages. :-)
My goal is to wrap my white roof black, and I have a goofy shark fin. I’m also not interested in BigBrother watching over me. From what I understand, I can buy this used eBay black puck and use it, after swapping the shark fin connector? Simple as that right? :-)
Thanks!
Oh, I’m a 2020 GT Prem if that matters.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293811698769

57A0FB46-D1CE-485E-91F5-02D02E9B41D2.png

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hi folks,
Crazy thread! So I made it through 18 pages. :-)
My goal is to wrap my white roof black, and I have a goofy shark fin. I’m also not interested in BigBrother watching over me. From what I understand, I can buy this used eBay black puck and use it, after swapping the shark fin connector? Simple as that right? :-)
Thanks!
Oh, I’m a 2020 GT Prem if that matters.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293811698769

57A0FB46-D1CE-485E-91F5-02D02E9B41D2.png
Yes, it is that simple. Read my other thread on the subject matter, and no, not a crazy thread..... very real.

213 - Auto Mafia Racing