Sponsored

The gripe thread (Mach 1 vs GT350, GT, etc)

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
there were no less than 5 GT350R being offered for $7000 below MSRP in NoVA back in 2019. I should have bought one had I knowed how this was going to play out. I just couldn't swallow 65,000 for a bloody Mustang.
And R’s especially are being treated these days like an original Cobra or something. There’s a “Prices are on the rise” thread in the GT350 forum that appears to be people who consider R’s to be an investment opportunity like fine art or gold bullion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
And R’s especially are being treated these days like an original Cobra or something. There’s a “Prices are on the rise” thread in the GT350 forum that appears to be people who consider R’s to be an investment opportunity like fine art or gold bullion.
I keep saying, though I know it's not something people, especially GT350 owners want to hear, that prices are eventually going to come back down. That goes doubly for cars that are actually driven (to clarify, I strongly support driving the cars you own).

Anyway, all that means is if you aren't trying to flip the car, you are gonna eat a shitload of depreciation assuming you buy a GT350 at current inflated prices and sell it in like 5 years. Which OK, I get the saying about not buying cars for resale value & I agree with it, but there are limits to everything, and eating an additional $15k in depreciation isn't something I for one want to experience.

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I was really contemplating getting a GT350 instead of the Mach especially after reading all the rave carmag reviews for the GT350 and all the, "Well the Mach 1 is great and all, but it will never be the Shelby GT350" reviews. Luckily I went to the forums and saw all the exploding engine threads. I started thinking "yeah, but what are the chances it will happen to mine, though?" Then I remembered why I just sold my focus RS. There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
^^^^ exactly why i just bought a mach1 over a gt350 for track use and sunday driving. Cant trust that poodoo engine
Well, from mine and some friend experience, the Coyote is not faring any better when used on track
We run out cars hard but we don’t beat on them
Both are 17, mine with a PP2, his with a PP3 and between both of us we had 4 engines replaced and quite a few factory clutches until we went aftermarket
My car has 25k miles and his 45k
80% are track miles
We are both very experienced drivers/racers

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Well, from mine and some friend experience, the Coyote is not faring any better when used on track
We run out cars hard but we don’t beat on them
Both are 17, mine with a PP2, his with a PP3 and between both of us we had 4 engines replaced
My car has 25k miles and his 45k
80% are track miles
The coyote was never intended to live that many miles on track. Neither was the voodoo for that matter.
The difference is the number of voodoos that have apparently blown up driving on the street or at least consuming lots of oil.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The coyote was never intended to live that many miles on track. Neither was the voodoo for that matter.
The difference is the number of voodoos that have apparently blown up driving on the street or at least consuming lots of oil.
Well, I see plenty of vipers, camaro, corvettes. BMW, S2000, etc, with over 50k track miles without their engines blowing up…seriously….
I do love my Mustang, but basically the engine is a consumable part…

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
This thread needs a theme song 🤣

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
not to mention the out of warranty cost of replacing a vodoo versus the coyote. Imagine holding on to the car for 20 years and trying to find replacement 5.2 parts….

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Well, I see plenty of vipers, camaro, corvettes. BMW, S2000, etc, with over 50k track miles without their engines blowing up…seriously….
I do love my Mustang, but basically the engine is a consumable part…
50k miles and 50k track miles are not the same thing. Are all those cars you saw on their original engines?

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
50k miles and 50k track miles are not the same thing. Are all those cars you saw on their original engines?
Yes. Those are cars and drivers that I have known for years (some of them are fellow instructors) and that I see all the times at the various tracks in NorCal

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Former GT350 owner here: this is something that the folks over in the GT350 forums wouldn’t want to hear - but there is definitely something up with those voodoo engines, despite what people claim.
Although I am super anal about maintenance, broke in the engine as recommended and changed the oil at 1k - My engine nuked itself while idling at a red light. My service advisor at the dealer said that mine was the 4th GT350 that came into their dealership with a blown engine since the start of this year (this was back in May).
Although I haven’t driven a Mach, I’ve sat in a HP one while it was being driven hard and I gotta say it sounds pretty good, and it felt like it handled pretty similar to a 350.
Even though the voodoo is special and the 350 is probably the best car I have driven, you cannot put a price on reliability and peace of mind.
All this is to say: be happy with your Mach 1s. They’re great cars.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The coyote was never intended to live that many miles on track.
why the hell not? Is Ford Engine slacking off, while their GM and German counterparts actually DO spend the time and effort to get a engine RIGHT? (not to say they havnt' f'ked up hear and there). The Coyote has 15 years of so-called "development" behind it. It should be as reliable as a M1 tank (ok, probably not a good comparison - I don't know the metrics on that powerplant)

Oiling issues on Cyl 7/8? Heat issues on Cyl 7/8? What the hell has Ford been playing at for over a decade?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Both are 17, mine with a PP2, his with a PP3 and between both of us we had 4 engines replaced and quite a few factory clutches until we went aftermarket
if you could elaborate on what clutches you now use that would be swell.

pappagray

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 PP1
The engine failure on 5.0's do we have any indication why that failure is happening? oil starvation? First ive heard of it, and I track my car along side other 5.0 mustangs frequently.
Sponsored