Sponsored

The Fate on the ICE

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's an article claiming that 5 cruise ships generate as much CO2 as cars for the entire continent of Europe:
and "if true" (tm) the whole EV exercise is completely and totally ineffective and has ZERO merit by every metric known to man. China and India are not so STUPID as to sacrifice their GDP for some self-important and clueless wankers from northern Europe.

The entire 1st world could go EV overnight and it wouldn't make a drop in the ocean's difference as long as China and India continued on their current pace, let alone anticipated trajectory.

The solution to all problems is liberty and wealth. Not regulation, not gov't, and not masturbating to EV fantasies. You could cover every piece of ground in the USA with solar panels or windmills and we wouldn't be able to produce enough electricity to run the country at today's needs.
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
285,600,000 - Registered ICE vehicles in the USA in 2020 (99.5% of all registered vehicles)

1,300,000 - Registered electric vehicles in the USA in 2020 (0.5% of all registered vehicles).

111,000 - Gas stations in the USA in 2020 (99.3% of all stations).

800 - Electric charging stations in the USA in 2020 (0.7% of all stations).

I think we’re good for awhile.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Except Co2 is not a pollutant. Plants need it to live.
Sorry, mistype. I meant to write sulfur dioxide as referenced by the article. CO2 is absolutely a pollutant though.

EDIT: Again, I'm not going to sacrifice myself on the hill of 'we need EVs to save the environment' because yea it's not the major source of pollution in the world today. For some people that will absolutely be the reason they switch, but for the majority of mankind, myself included, it will be the cost savings/reliability.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I think we are good for a while. Tesla obviously got somewhat of a head start on the others but as GM, Ford and other companies overseas catch up with their bigger infrastructure I’m wondering if their pricing will outmatch Tesla. I obviously know what batteries are but I am by far no expert. I’m wondering if they can get 1000 miles on these batteries but just won’t so they can charge you to charge your car. No pun intended.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
CO2 is absolutely a pollutant though.
Get rid of Co2 and all life on the surface of this planet and most of the oceans will cease. It is not a pollutant.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Get rid of Co2 and all life on the surface of this planet and most of the oceans will cease. It is not a pollutant.
That's a fallacious argument. You could try the reverse- if the atmosphere was 100% CO2, would life still be possible? What about other gasses? 100% oxygen? 100% nitrogen?

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to fall into a "Is global warming real" argument because that's not why I come to these forums.

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
How many of you truly believe the US Government will be the death of the internal combustion engine? I feel like the Rush song Red Barchetta. I don't care how fast electric cars become they have no soul. Do you think we will be able to buy gas for the next 50 years? Not trying to start a political debate. Just wondering how many of you will drive an ICE until you just can't.
Will keep driving my Mustang until I can't anymore! The gov can kiss my a$$!

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
285,600,000 - Registered ICE vehicles in the USA in 2020 (99.5% of all registered vehicles)

1,300,000 - Registered electric vehicles in the USA in 2020 (0.5% of all registered vehicles).

111,000 - Gas stations in the USA in 2020 (99.3% of all stations).

800 - Electric charging stations in the USA in 2020 (0.7% of all stations).

I think we’re good for awhile.
Not sure where you got your facts from but there are way more than 800 charging stations in the US, hell I have at least 10 within 20 miles of me and I live in a rural area. More than 40,000 is more like it and that does not count home chargers. I have plenty of clients that leverage solar and wind to generate their own electricity to heat and cool their homes as well as charge their electric cars. We are in the snow belt and face cold winters and these people have no issue traveling 2+ hours driving from the city to here (and back again).... the time is coming and coming fast.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Nothing but a money grab. cuz if it was about clean air, every county in the usa would have emission inspections on vehicles 15 year old or newer that makes up 90% of the national fleet, yet more than 65% of the country have zero testing. It isn't about clean air. it is about fleecing peoples wallets.
Just to reinforce what you said, in Ohio we have 88 counties, but only 7 require emissions testing. And they are the ones around the Cleveland/Akron metro area. The other 81 counties can do whatever they want with their cars as there is nothing to keep them compliant.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Not sure where you got your facts from but there are way more than 800 charging stations in the US, hell I have at least 10 within 20 miles of me and I live in a rural area. More than 40,000 is more like it and that does not count home chargers. I have plenty of clients that leverage solar and wind to generate their own electricity to heat and cool their homes as well as charge their electric cars. We are in the snow belt and face cold winters and these people have no issue traveling 2+ hours driving from the city to here (and back again).... the time is coming and coming fast.
Maybe in coastal states, but go inland and public use charging stations are few and far between. Most full EV adopters around my area have their own charging stations, as there are very few public places to get charged

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I won't buy an electric car yet cause I think they still have too many shortcomings that would bother me. Short range, long charge times, and lack of charge stations especially in rural areas. But these things will likely be resolved in the not too distant future, and at that time why wouldn't I switch to electric? Why hang on to a dying technology if there's a superior alternative? I'll probably miss the rumble of my Mustang's V8 but noise alone isn't a good enough reason to keep it.

What concerns me is what will happen to motorcycles. Motorcycling is my #1 hobby. Due to their size and shape it's unlikely electric bikes will ever become viable unless there is a major breakthrough in battery technology. The current existing electric bikes have pitiful range that makes them impractical except in a city.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Maybe in coastal states, but go inland and public use charging stations are few and far between. Most full EV adopters around my area have their own charging stations, as there are very few public places to get charged
Makes sense though, I'm sure when gas/diesel cars became popular/affordable and the interstate highway was born that new stations popped up along the major roads and along the coasts where there is a high density of people.

Rilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019 PP1
I decided I'm going to buy both. But the V8 will be around for a long time. I think Ford will come out with the hybrid version to ease us into it.

I'm 40 years old, I think we'll always have the V8 until I'm off this Earth.

I can't say the same for the very young.
Sponsored