Sponsored

The Face of the 2015 Mustang!

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
Some serious skills chazcron.

Pls keep us updated on the progress. Also agree with TT, this may deserve its own thread.

Zquez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT, 2019 5.0
Roofline is going to be really hard to do since its really well covered. I should be able to finish it by tomorrow. By the way I just saw my rendering at the American Muscle fanpage. :headbang:
Too bad it was pretty much universally hated by their fanbase. I thought it was absolutely fantastic! It is really annoying really seeing how so many people hate the streamlined look. Its as if shitty aerodynamics and poor handling have become a hallmark of the Mustang brand. To try and bring it out of the dark ages is borderline blasphemy!

Oblivion/2

Progress teaser:

This includes the awful reminder to save often in Animation Master. I lost two hours of work yesterday.
:hail::hail:

Too bad it was pretty much universally hated by their fanbase. I thought it was absolutely fantastic! It is really annoying really seeing how so many people hate the streamlined look. Its as if shitty aerodynamics and poor handling have become a hallmark of the Mustang brand. To try and bring it out of the dark ages is borderline blasphemy!
Lol nothing good goes unpunished on the internet.

You know Mustang owners are probably the most stuck in their ways / slow to change guys I know. A lot of us pine for the good old days of classic american square & boxy design. It's no wonder the Fox sold so well. but they've been prepping fans for sleeker, curvier and more aerodynamic since 1994. The S550 could be the best realization of that. To me, the s197 was just a necessary stop-over to give purists what they've been waiting decades for. After this, it's open skies for Ford.

When people finally take the wheel and realize how much better it performs I think most will forget all about these initial complaints. For what its worth i think that big open grille and the active grille shutters give us a clue it's going to have great aerodynamics.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Agreed 100%
The people who hold this view and have the narrowest conception of what makes a mustang a mustang tend to ignore the majority of the cars history. It was originally conceived as a car to be orders as mild or wild as you would like... all things to everyone. Go back and find some ads from '65 and they use nearly those exact words.
The mustang will likely be the basis for Ford's highest performance "halo car" for the foreseeable future. It has to evolve or it wont compete with other rwd performance 2+2 sport coupes. Wider appeal and more sales means larger development budget for the performance models.

Sponsored

Zquez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT, 2019 5.0
Agreed 100%
The people who hold this view and have the narrowest conception of what makes a mustang a mustang tend to ignore the majority of the cars history. It was originally conceived as a car to be orders as mild or wild as you would like... all things to everyone. Go back and find some ads from '65 and they use nearly those exact words.
The mustang will likely be the basis for Ford's highest performance "halo car" for the foreseeable future. It has to evolve or it wont compete with other rwd performance 2+2 sport coupes. Wider appeal and more sales means larger development budget for the performance models.
Right.

As you see the performance envelope pushed by other manufacturers, Ford has to do the same to be competitive. That combined with increasing government efficiency regulations and it becomes clear that the status quo is not a feasible plan of attack.

Muscling the car through the air isn't good for performance nor is it efficient - the two things Ford is trying to achieve with the car. I don't understand why the "poor mans" sports car has to look like it. What is so bad about paying $30k for a car that looks like a $200k car.

When I look at the S550, I see a streamlined S197 and that is exactly what I expected from it.

OP
OP
Jarstang

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Looks great so far, chaz.

Thanks for the previews :thumbsup:

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Agreed 100%
From the book "MUSTANG - The AfFordable Sportscar" - by John A. Gunnell

"By the 1940's, American car makers were beginning to form relationships with Italian design firms and Detroit stylists were visiting West Coast "Rod& Custom" shows to see what advanced concepts were "cooking" at such events.

The Ford Mustang was a car that combined many of these diverse influences. Since the 1950's, Ford had negotiated contracts with Italian firms like Pinin Farina, Ghia and a half-dozen others, to work on concept vehicles. Many Ideas reflected in such cars were incorporated into the Mustang's basic "GT" image. At the same time, the Mustang's long list of bolt-on body parts and engine accessories had connections to the modified car hobby/industry. To many young enthusiasts, the Mustang seemed like an AMT 3-in-1 model car kit brought to life. You started with the basic vehicle, and "customized" it with the extras you wanted."

I know times have changed, but it still sounds like a great recipe for success to me...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jarstang

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Thanks to ArtRios87 for these renders. Very nice work, Art :clap2:
2015 mustang s550 gt1.jpg

2015 mustang s550 gt-yellow.jpg

Mriley

Even better than the first version! Nice clean up of the roof too.

Really glad we got those spy pics. You, chaz and all the artists here making quick use of them and I'm really enjoying these.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Better this than some of the more tame renders I have seen. This is nice and aggressive.

I'm surprised Ford is even showing suppliers pics of the car knowing how secretive they have been. Any idea if the supplier list has been finalized already?
Of course the suppliers have seen the car. To produce the parts, the suppliers have to have CAD files to build tooling. My guess is that this far down the line, all the initial suppliers have been set. That doesn't mean that suppliers won't change as time goes on. We've taken on a number or transfer jobs from other suppliers from various reasons. We're just now kicking off tooling on 2015 MY vehicles.

If he wants to consider his future career in that Tier 1 supplier, I'd suggest he doesn't provide any images. Or, if he does, keep them to yourself (as much as that pains me!!!).
I wouldn't risk either of our careers by posting any pictures. But that wouldn't keep me from either making sketches based on those designs or commenting on other people's renderings letting you know which ones are closest to the final design.

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Of course the suppliers have seen the car. To produce the parts, the suppliers have to have CAD files to build tooling. .
Why would they need to see the whole car in order to produce parts from a CAD file? They aren't going to send them files for the whole car, just the parts they are going to produce.

Now, if this supplier made body panels, they could see the shape.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Why would they need to see the whole car in order to produce parts from a CAD file? They aren't going to send them files for the whole car, just the parts they are going to produce.

Now, if this supplier made body panels, they could see the shape.
You're correct, for many of the suppliers of smaller parts, they wouldn't NEED to see the car. But Ford is really good at partnering with their preferred suppliers. This particular customer of ours is world-wide and a very big supplier to Ford. With this partnership comes some pretty nice perks.
Sponsored