Sponsored

The EPA sues Ez- link diesel tuning company, get ready for the coming tide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the Epa has been around for a long time but they're cracking down NOW. This will affect what we in the mustang community love to do, make our cars faster. If they decide to go full tilt, it will change our industry drastically. and maybe permanently.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yeah, the Epa has been around for a long time but they're cracking down NOW. This will affect what we in the mustang community love to do, make our cars faster. If they decide to go full tilt, it will change our industry drastically. and maybe permanently.
Yes, it is happening now. It could have happened five years ago or it could have started in 2026. Doesn't matter. It is what it is. Personally i believe the industry will adapt, somehow. Is always has. Remember the mid 80's and our 200HP "performance" cars. Today we are worried about making our 460/480/760HP cars faster.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It’s already affecting Cobb.
They have been pulling tunes, already changing / weakening them for epa

Talked to someone in support at Cobb today. Lets just say I was less than impressed. Even though only 15 states and DC are CARB states, Cobb policy is that all their Maps will always be 100% CARB Compliant. When I asked why the guy why, he blamed the company lawyers. I stated I wasn't too keen on switching to a CARB compliant Map do to the concern that it might lead to a loss of power vs the non-CARB Map. He assured me that there was no loss of power or performance in any of the Maps while making them CARB compliant but also stated they would not publish any dyno graphs to prove that. So I asked what was changed. I was told they did not have that information. I also asked, since I am in a non CARB state if there was a way to get the firmware updates to my AP without the one that forces the CARB compliance. Absolute NO on that one.

Take it for what its worth. There may not be any loss in performance between a CARB map and PreCARB map but I cant say I trust them. I certainly don't trust anything coming from the California Air Resources Board and absolutely do not like living in a non CARB state and being held to CARB standards if I choose to update the firmware. These are things that would have absolutely impacted my decision to by a Cobb AP vs. some other tuner. Overall I cant say I'm real pleased with Cobb. Seems strange that a Texas based company would be giving into demands of CARB and pushing it on all their customers regardless of whether or not they live in a CARB state. If you ask me this a cowardly move by Cobb and a disservice to their customers living outside the CARB states.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
And by the way, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. What’s happening is the enforcement of regulations that have been in effect for over 50 years. You‘re not being forced to remove your current tune or catless headers.
Let's be honest.
If this WAS about the environment, if all this was TRULY about cleaning up vehicle emissions, then all of this would be a MOOT point. Institute a tailpipe test in all states. If a vehicle passes it passes. I'm not talking "visual" inspection.

There are other factors at play here as well. You don't think some major auto manufacturers aren't happy about all this? They WANT older vehicles off the road - it means more car sales. They WANT to make it impossible for people to work on their own cars, it means more money in service. They want stricter controls in place - do you think the bean counters and boards of auto manufacturers care about the environment more than they do their bottom line?

Of course if it was REALLY about the environment, then major corporations couldn't just stroke a check when they exceed pollution limits.....if it's cheaper to pay the fine than it is to retrofit factories....there ya go.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; One way rules get into place is by a legislature made up of elected folks who represent us and we have some small influence by how we vote.

Another way is when government agencies make up rules on their own. There may be some form of legislation in the background that formed the agency, but the public is much further removed from any oversight.

These agencies over time become staffed with career people and can form an agenda. How well they can push these agendas is to have the backing of those in power. During times when the powers in charge do not favor the agendas the enforcement wanes. During times when the powers in charge favor or even actively support the agendas, then enforcement can ramp up a lot.

That some rule or standard has been "on the books" for some time has less to do with how and when things get done. The climate for enforcement matters at any particular time. It seems there is currently a more favorable climate for more strict enforcement. No surprise at all.

While this current climate exists these agencies are likely to push their particular interpretation of a more general piece of legislation. That interpretation may or may not reflect the intended meaning of written legislation and may or may not reflect the wishes of the general public. Not exactly a pseudo forth branch of government as the agencies can be reined in, but such depends on the determination of those in power.

As @svttim states is is hard to discuss these things without becoming overtly political. What I just wrote above is an attempt to do so.

I also agree with @WildHorse. The blatant excess of a few has given the EPA ammunition to crack down and they now have the back up needed from the power above.

Personally after having to be on the highways with diesel pickups blowing clouds of black soot, I can say I do not like the practice. It seems a waste of money for the driver, but that part is their business. It is my having to breathe and smell that stuff which is a bother. I often have to drive thru a tunnel about 3/4 mile long. Getting caught in that tunnel with one of those pickups is bad.
The cat delete business is much less of a personal problem. I do not think the modern engines are very dirty even without the CAT's. Keep in mind I got my license in 1963 so can recall when crankcase fumes were just vented into the atmosphere and driving thru Cincinnati OH would make my eyes water.
A decade or few ago there was a big push to replace coal fired power plants with natural gas. The thinking being natural gas burns cleaner, which is correct. We worked out how to have plenty of natural gas so the cost became much less. Now the goal posts are being changed and the proven natural gas plants are being labeled as the new source of evil emissions.

Right now the agencies are going after the low hanging fruit being those who who are in violation. Not the individuals just yet, but the suppliers. I hope we do not go back to universal individual emission inspections like back in the seventies. I know some places still have those inspections.

I mentioned this in a different thread. I see write ups about how my wood stove is an "environmental evil" now. I installed a wood burner a few years ago after waking up one morning with no power and the temp at five below zero F. I do not burn a fire very often, but like to have it for emergencies. Bottom line is in order to live each individual will contribute to some amount of emissions.

My speculation is these agencies will push us into a "do without" lifestyle if the get the authority. So while I do not think so many are removing the CAT's enough to make much of a difference in total emissions, it becomes part of the first steps.

Enough from me.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Of course if it was REALLY about the environment, then major corporations couldn't just stroke a check when they exceed pollution limits.....if it's cheaper to pay the fine than it is to retrofit factories....there ya go.
Hello; Not sure what it is called now but " carbon credits" and "carbon taxes" come to mind. Various schemes to punish the consumer ultimately. A CORP could "buy" credits and keep on polluting, then pass the cost onto it's customers.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Local utility companies, epa hit them.

They just added fields of solar panels- called pollution diffusers.

Has nothing to do with their current pollution, but the more energy they produce, vs pollution is diffused. So instead of cleaning energy, prob can’t do much more anyway

They added a couple fields of solar panels lol

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Who would of thought that this GREAT Country would go this way of getting rid of pure Americana??! Terrible.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It’s already affecting Cobb.
They have been pulling tunes, already changing / weakening them for epa
Though I think it was wrong for EcoOkc to call them cowardly. Pretty sure if he was the one going to be fined, he might not think it is such a good idea to go up against the EPA.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
As far as diesel tunes go. I'm kinda glad. As an avid bicyclist, I hate those assholes pulling along side of me and smoking me out and laughing.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.