The Death of Sync has come.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
And I feel the same way about Apple.....will NOT allow anything of theirs in my household (Steve Jobs was an AWFUL human being and he or his progeny will not get 1 penny from me). So it swings both ways....
The irony is that while we're all consumed with hatred for one or the other, both of them are thriving and couldn't care less about our opinion, or about whether we use their products or not. For each person who hates Apple there's another who hates Google. In the end it balances out quite nicely for them. So we might as well use whatever product we like, because refraining from using it just for moral reasons won't make a jot of difference to them.
I know Steve Jobs was a despicable person, but I'll be damned if I let this keep me from enjoying my iPhone or my Mac. They are the best products for me, and not using them would hurt me more than it would hurt him or his company.
Sponsored

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Bottom line is what we think doesn't really matter. People will buy the cars regardless of what the OS is for the entertainment system. This is a non-starter if you already have a vehicle and don't plan to buy one in the "new" future....doesn't affect you......as most likely you won't be able to upgrade to the new OS.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
No bad thing from a usability perspective, voice recognition etc. But the privacy implications are staggering.
Your car already knows everything you do.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
It will be using Android OS to replace Blackberry QNX, which replaced Microsoft in Sync2

It will not be an Android interface, but whatever Ford want.

Don't be surprised if it is called Sync 5 !

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sync 2 was generally ok-ish, but astnonishingly slow. I can't think of any electronic device I've seen in the past twenty years that was as slow as that.
And its user interface had been clearly designed by someone who had experience with computers, but not with cars. Every single action took an awful lot of clicks, going from one sub-menu to the next, and to the next, and to the next. That's OK when you're running Windows on your desk computer, using a mouse, but definitely not when you're driving, struggling with a barely responsive resistive touch screen.

Sync 3 is generally ok-ish, but it offers absolutely no customization at all, and it lacks some very basic features which, ironically, Sync 2 had. Heck, even the pre-Sync systems in older Fords had them. And it was full of bugs for a long time. Only recently did they manage to fix them all - or almost all. Not to mention the update procedure which after so many years still isn't 100% reliable.

So, there's still room for improvement.

Last edited:

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
(Steve Jobs was an AWFUL human being and he or his progeny will not get 1 penny from me)
Henry Ford was way worse. But here we are buying Ford's.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
It will be using Android OS to replace Blackberry QNX, which replaced Microsoft in Sync2

It will not be an Android interface, but whatever Ford want.

Don't be surprised if it is called Sync 5 !
Exactly. Reading into it, Ford is basically replacing Qnx with Android as the base OS. That means their custom UI will likely still look very much like Sync 4 (maybe with some upgraded animations and such). The big benefit to me would be support for native applications like google maps and streaming music apps and finally being able to ditch the useless applink. My guess is this will be an upgrade to any current Sync 4 unit when complete.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
My guess is this will be an upgrade to any current Sync 4 unit when complete.
I think that is probably unlikely, as was the case moving from Sync2 to 3 / 4. It would be a huge step to install a different OS to existing hardware and never worth the hassle.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I think that is probably unlikely, as was the case moving from Sync2 to 3 / 4. It would be a huge step to install a different OS to existing hardware and never worth the hassle.
Well the reason I say that is due to the fact that they are JUST rolling out Sync 4 so my thought would be that the head unit hardware should be capable since it should also be relatively new/current. Sync 2 to 3 included a jump in screen resolution and a move from resistive to capacitive touch screen to name a few.... I don’t see that massive of a hardware change happening from 4 to whatever they call this Android based system.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Well the reason I say that is due to the fact that they are JUST rolling out Sync 4 so my thought would be that the head unit hardware should be capable since it should also be relatively new/current. Sync 2 to 3 included a jump in screen resolution and a move from resistive to capacitive touch screen to name a few.... I don’t see that massive of a hardware change happening from 4 to whatever they call this Android based system.
But Sync 5 (if that is what it is) is still 2 years away so I'm sure there will be hardware changes by then.

Changing OS will almost certainly require repartitioning and formatting the storage - the chances of that going wrong, even if it is possible, would be high.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)