The clutch is so much different than the s197 IMO

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I've had a few manual cars in my day...and I'll agree that the G35 had the worst. I really like the GTs 6MT...but the GT350/Mach 1 was fantastic. Wish it was an option for the GT.

As for the assists, I noticed the added throttle while in line for fast food one day and feathering the clutch...weird feeling for sure, but I like it. Hill assist is fantastic, just have to overcome the brake, which took some getting used to. Only stalled once so far, but it's only been 1k miles and years since I've had the 3rd pedal.

Because of this thread, I looked up the helper spring on Steeda and bought the 35lb one. Hoping it makes engagement even better.

Last edited:

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
The clutch is lighter on my '18 than on my '08 by quite a bit. The clutch in my '68 is significantly lighter than either of them (diaphragm style). I grew up with nearly everything being manual, so I'm used to things feeling different from one vehicle to another. Right now my daily driver is an '09 Focus with a 5-speed. The clutch on that one is lighter and closer to the floor than the '18. I definitely grew up in the age of carburetors and manual transmissions. There's a difference in how you apply the throttle when you're dealing with an accelerator pump. It's especially noticeable when the car is cold and your choke isn't hooked up. At this point about the only carbureted vehicles I still end up driving are a couple of old mid 70's Ford dump trucks (391/4V/manual) and my Cougar (289/4V/manual).

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch is lighter on my '18 than on my '08 by quite a bit. The clutch in my '68 is significantly lighter than either of them (diaphragm style). I grew up with nearly everything being manual, so I'm used to things feeling different from one vehicle to another. Right now my daily driver is an '09 Focus with a 5-speed. The clutch on that one is lighter and closer to the floor than the '18. I definitely grew up in the age of carburetors and manual transmissions. There's a difference in how you apply the throttle when you're dealing with an accelerator pump. It's especially noticeable when the car is cold and your choke isn't hooked up. At this point about the only carbureted vehicles I still end up driving are a couple of old mid 70's Ford dump trucks (391/4V/manual) and my Cougar (289/4V/manual).
We still have the 1969 351W for our 68 fastback project. Will likely switch to an Holley efi system and modern ignition

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
We still have the 1969 351W for our 68 fastback project. Will likely switch to an Holley efi system and modern ignition
That ought to be a nice ride. I switched almost immediately from the points system to a Duraspark system when I got the 68 running. I eventually took the next step of using an ignition box (Crane HI-6) in place of the Duraspark controls. It's worked very well for a long time. The points are a pain and I don't think I'd ever use them again unless I was doing a concourse restoration on something. I've contemplated going to an EFI system on it and may at some point, but for now I'll stick with the old Holley 4 barrel. I haven't been driving it enough to justify the cost.

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - I've been driving manual tranny cars since the '50s and clutches and shifters have gotten progressively better over the years. Depressing the clutches are easier, shifters are smoother and the rev matching feature on my Bullitt makes down shifting easier than ever. I feel the same about automatic trannys. I like hill assist on automatics, but not on my Bullitt, so I disabled it. I'm not hard on cars so I've never had to replace a clutch, shifter or transmission and I keep cars for many years. This spring I sold my '65 GTO with a Hurst 4-speed and that was getting hard my old left knee, while shifting the Bullitt was not a problem. I miss the nostalgia of the GTO, but that's about it, except for maybe the side vent windows. Yes, like plate says, this is probably my last toy... Bruce

P.S. Just for clarification, I'll be 80 in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
anyone else feel the same? I mean yeah my 2014 was a v6 but this feels like it just does different stuff thatā€™s all computer based. Like how when you start letting off the clutch it automatically gives it higher rpmā€™s to prevent from stalling. Thats taking getting used to. Itā€™s odd. And sometimes going into like 2nd it feels like it holds the clutch slightly to give it a smoother shift rather than just bumping it into gear when it might make the car bump more if it isnā€™t a perfect shift, even though youā€™ve let the clutch out completely. It just seems like itā€™s all such weird computer assisted stuff. Does anyone else notice that? I mean I donā€™t mind it, just taking getting used to!!
Have an S550, Gen 3. Turned off rev matching and changed the clutch pedal spring. Don't know if you can but it makes the engage point more noticable.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I don't notice anything weird with the clutch on my 2015 GT PP. I put in a lighter pedal return spring but I like how it feels. They only change I would like is for the clutch pedal to feel stiffer.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Yes, it did. Both my 2016 Focus ST and my '17 GT have the hill-holder and accelerator bump feature. After driving my "old fashioned" 1985 GT, it was a bit startling the first time I experienced the hill-holder feature. Just Ford attempting to allay the fears of newbies purchasing their first mostly manual transmissions. I get it...

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The hill launch assist is useful with an automatic. Not so much with a manual (unless you're a beginner, that is). I've had it in three automatic cars and loved it, it worked really fine, but in the Mustang (manual) I hated it. To me it felt just like those instances when the hand brake is stuck, and you have to force it, and it pops free. Couldn't stand it. It's a good thing it can be turned off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
The hill launch assist is useful with an automatic. Not so much with a manual (unless you're a beginner, that is). I've had it in three automatic cars and loved it, it worked really fine, but in the Mustang (manual) I hated it. To me it felt just like those instances when the hand brake is stuck, and you have to force it, and it pops free. Couldn't stand it. It's a good thing it can be turned off.
With how this car idles at 5mph when you let off the clutch, why is hill assist in an auto even relevant? Foot off the brake, you wonā€™t roll back. Iā€™ve never rolled back in my f150 on a steep incline and thats the 2.7. If anything, the engine holds it in place on a hill with foot off the brake. It makes sense in a manual, not an auto.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
With how this car idles at 5mph when you let off the clutch, why is hill assist in an auto even relevant? Foot off the brake, you wonā€™t roll back. Iā€™ve never rolled back in my f150 on a steep incline and thats the 2.7. If anything, the engine holds it in place on a hill with foot off the brake. It makes sense in a manual, not an auto.
I guess it depends on how much torque your engine has, and how the gearbox and torque converter are set up. I've driven many times up slopes so steep that my Mondeo and my wife's Kuga wanted to roll backwards. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
I guess it depends on how much torque your engine has, and how the gearbox and torque converter are set up. I've driven many times up slopes so steep that my Mondeo and my wife's Kuga wanted to roll backwards. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.
Hmm. I bet the 10r80 is fine in the stang. I think thatā€™s the same tranny thats in my 150 too