The big S550 end of generation thread

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
One thing I don't like about the mustang is how it keeps getting bigger with each generation. It would be great if the next gen was slightly shorter, although I read somewhere it's gonna share its underpinnings with the explorer so it will probably be even bigger than the S550.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford needs to get its suppliers and their own QC BS in line, period.

I’m not just talking minuscule body panel alignments, brake pedal failure that renders the car into limp mode, brake pedal structure assembly failure due to poor supplier QC, the constant aluminum hood rot since 2005, heated/cooled seats where modules burn up or TEDs don’t work as designed, the various interior water leaks, the ongoing various BCM module glitches, the random 5.0 misfire codes for IMRCs or VCTs, the dysfunctional SYNC updates, the A/C EVAP core and compressor fiascos, various Trans spacer plate rattles, MT82 shift fork BS, 10R80 valve body & software prog. BS, deteriorating and cracking paint at upper portion of rear glass on fastbacks, premature axle nut failures, premature wheel hub failures, MT82 reverse lock out failures, deteriorating battery cables, dead digital dash clusters, or the multiple interior annoyances with creaks, squeaks and rattles....

I’m talking the major issues - like the constant engine failures affecting their top tier S550 GT350’s and GT500’s. It’s uncalled for and a total embarrassment to those platforms. Especially when you have Mustang Enthusiasts who are plunking down $65k-$120k for their “Dream Car” with some documented instances that can’t get outside of 200mi after taking delivery with engines that are catastrophically failing.

Hey Farley - you’re such a “car guy”, are you listening?

So yea - let’s reflect, because it’s not and has not been “growing pains” going into now almost 7 years of S550 production; there’s something inherently wrong in the assembly process or supplier chain - figure it out.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I come from the world of BMW (duh) and Porsche and Corvette. OK, forget that last one, but I'm used to German precision in design, quality and assembly precision. Any time I am tempted to complain about the Mustang, I remind myself that it cost anywhere from half to a quarter of what I'm used to.

My car, purchased new off the lot, has no paint or fitment issues. Sure, it's "soft" but everyone is moving to the water-based paints, which are not as durable as the old solvent paints. Yes, the radio sounds like crap, but it's a base system, and I've heard worse (see above, re: BMW & Porsche). It's got some rattles, but hey, it's made of plastic.

Speaking of plastic, if you want to read about poor paint, lousy panel fit and generally lousy assembly and dealer prep, go over to a Corvette forum.

Otherwise, you know, really, no complaints. It's fun to drive, it sounds great, it handles well and the only real let down is the tires, which is easily and inexpensively fixed if you are so inclined.

Every car, every mass produced item in the world really, is a compromise between marketing, engineering and the bean counters. If the car was everything you wanted it to be, you couldn't afford it. If it was the killer track weapon that some wish for, no secretaries would buy it because it's so uncomfortable. The fact that the PP cars are "parts bin" cars is only because some of the good parts from the GT350 et. al. have trickled down a bit. All manufacturers do that to some degree.

Overall, really, I'm happy with the car.
Corvette interior quality was heavily addressed with the C8.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you want a similarly performing coupe, from a handling, and acceleration stand point, with fit and finish, as well as interior build quality, buy a BMW M4. But, you're going to pay $80-100k.

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you want a similarly performing coupe, from a handling, and acceleration stand point, with fit and finish, as well as interior build quality, buy a BMW M4. But, you're going to pay $80-100k.
True, but from someone who's owned 2 M3's an X5 and a 7 series, I'd own a Mustang out of warranty but I'd never own another M3 out of warranty.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....I’m talking the major issues - like the constant engine failures affecting their top tier S550 GT350’s and GT500’s.......
Please, do share your knowledge on this topic. Please share some examples of GT350s and GT500 engines failing I know of only one, and it was a heavily modified GT500.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If it happens once on Youtube, the failure rate must be 100% for all engines :crackup:
That's the one I'm thinking of.

I do think that the GT350 motor pioneered the welded (arc-welding or something??) cylinder liners, didn't they?

I also went to our GT350 sub-forum, didn't see a sticky for "The Official GT350 Engine Failure Thread".

ETA; "... Plasma Transferred Wire Arc process – PTWA for short ".

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The Gen3 Coyote uses the same tech now as well. That's why it's actually a 307, and as a result the first "5.0" from Ford to actually displace 5 liters.
Absolutely. I was worried about that tech when I got my car. But all seems fine.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
True, but from someone who's owned 2 M3's an X5 and a 7 series, I'd own a Mustang out of warranty but I'd never own another M3 out of warranty.
You don't buy BMW's you lease them ;)

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I know a few GT350 owners. One has had engine failures in two of them. He now has a GT500 so hopefully his luck will get better. :) Another guy is having his engine rebuilt since Ford wouldn't replace it. This gives me a bad impression but it's a small sample size so probably not representative.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I do think that the GT350 motor pioneered the welded (arc-welding or something??) cylinder liners, didn't they?
Actually the first use of the PTWA was on the Trinity engine or the 5.8 used in the 13-14 GT 500's

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Ford needs to get its suppliers and their own QC BS in line, period.

I’m not just talking minuscule body panel alignments, brake pedal failure that renders the car into limp mode, brake pedal structure assembly failure due to poor supplier QC, the constant aluminum hood rot since 2005, heated/cooled seats where modules burn up or TEDs don’t work as designed, the various interior water leaks, the ongoing various BCM module glitches, the random 5.0 misfire codes for IMRCs or VCTs, the dysfunctional SYNC updates, the A/C EVAP core and compressor fiascos, various Trans spacer plate rattles, MT82 shift fork BS, 10R80 valve body & software prog. BS, deteriorating and cracking paint at upper portion of rear glass on fastbacks, premature axle nut failures, premature wheel hub failures, MT82 reverse lock out failures, deteriorating battery cables, dead digital dash clusters, or the multiple interior annoyances with creaks, squeaks and rattles....

I’m talking the major issues - like the constant engine failures affecting their top tier S550 GT350’s and GT500’s. It’s uncalled for and a total embarrassment to those platforms. Especially when you have Mustang Enthusiasts who are plunking down $65k-$120k for their “Dream Car” with some documented instances that can’t get outside of 200mi after taking delivery with engines that are catastrophically failing.

Hey Farley - you’re such a “car guy”, are you listening?

So yea - let’s reflect, because it’s not and has not been “growing pains” going into now almost 7 years of S550 production; there’s something inherently wrong in the assembly process or supplier chain - figure it out.
Can't argue with that. I own a '14 GT, and while it's been generally solid, the front suspension creak (that a new lower A-arm didn't fix) and the classic hood rot, have bothered me.
The Voodoo engine failures have been a real drag. And teh BBQ tick.

Corvette interior quality was heavily addressed with the C8.
About damn time, seriously. I sat in a 2017 or so Grand Sport and it was a total piece of shit.
I have driven a C6, and it drove great, I'm sure a C7 is much better, but the interior was the pits, man.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
When the S550 first came out, I did not like it, but did not hate it.
At the time, I had a 2013 Shelby GT500 and really liked it.
But I got a chance to drive an S550 Roush RS3, which I really liked the suspension and felt lighter than my Shelby.
A year past, and i found the S550 RS3 that would be , The One.
A Grabber Blue 2017 RS3, automatic trans.
I really like this generation and I think i will be keeping this one for a while.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Actually the first use of the PTWA was on the Trinity engine or the 5.8 used in the 13-14 GT 500's
Actually, the first use of PTWA was on the Nissan GTR R35, but I believe they bought the rights to use the technology from Ford. The GT500 had PTWA beginning in 2011.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I was talking about ford specifically, but I did not know about the 11's having the PWTA
Sponsored