Sponsored

The beginning of the end for the Mustang?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
How long do you suppose it'll take from the time EVs own almost all of the new vehicle market before the high performance potential that exists today (currently the big selling point toward "car enthusiasts") gets refined out of them in the name of energy conservation?
I think that is the ultimate goal.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
i think the mach-e is likely to be a marketting failure like the Harley davidson live-wire... I think Ford's misunderstanding the market and its gonna bite them.
Not to be argumentative :blush: but I disagree. If this vehicle lives up to the hype it will be a winner. The market "is" cute CUV's and an electric Mustang inspired one should be a hit. For our sakes we better hope so.

The fuel drinking, clutch burning muscle car head is Who buys a mustang these guys aren't going to buy a mach-e...
Ray this car is not for us. It's for my wife. She has already said we will give it a serious look when it comes time to replace her Escape.

Electric cars are for nerdy techy vanilla chai latte, kinda sorta car guy types... These people are gonna buy teslas...they made this car a SUV but are trying to market it as a "performance" vehicle... i don't understand who exactly they're targeting.
That was true in the beginning but not today. My "Car Guy" friend bought a Model 3 dual motor and loves it. Mustang inspired doesn't mean performance although we hope it will have it. And the answer to your question is "my wife". And the thousands of other wives, moms, and sisters of Mustangs and other Ford owners.

We are all so butt hurt about Ford using the Mustang name that we cannot see the forrest through the trees. It's happening, like it or not, so deal with it. I'm not thrilled about it either but...............

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The mach e is targeted at Millennials who are Climate Huggers but want a suv but don't want to feel guilty buying a ICE powered suv.
Thanks Ecovert.....I told my wife she is a millennial and she hasn't stopped laughing.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The problem isn't with EVs becoming commonplace. It's concern for the further downstream possibility where there might not be any alternative. Where you'd be stuck driving what other people want you to be driving, and paying for the "privilege".

How long do you suppose it'll take from the time EVs own almost all of the new vehicle market before the high performance potential that exists today (currently the big selling point toward "car enthusiasts") gets refined out of them in the name of energy conservation?
Norm, for better or worse, I do not think either of us will be around when that happens. This, right now, is the golden age for performance cars. Let's enjoy for as ever long as it lasts.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Ecovert.....I told my wife she is a millennial and she hasn't stopped laughing.
Seriously though in a couple of years we may look at the Mach e as a replacement for the wifes 18 Edge. She likes the Edge but at a consistent 19 MPG and as much as she drives it could be a viable alternative.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Instead of people having to pay for all the safety stuff we have, like 40 airbags, lane keep, auto braking and sensors keeping up with other cars. Ya know, stuff that I have to pay extra for, just to turn off because OTHER people on the road are unable to properly drive...

I don't get why we never made drivers tests harder. In the US our test is so weak that its a joke compared to other countries. Why do we not have to re-test ever 4yrs when we need to renew? Why do we not find a way to FORCE the police to do their job ticketing illegal moves on the road? Every day I see people cutting lanes, no signals, swerving, literally in front of police, only for them to ONLY pull over the loud cars or people doing WELL over the speed limit. Never mind the lady doing make-up while on a cellphone.

I utterly hate that I am forced to pay more just because we never looked into a way to FORCE idiots to be smart or be off the roads.

That's just an issue I have with America over all. We enable idiots, at the expense of others. Then wonder why so many people are fucking stupid. We allow them to be.
Social media and smart phones were the worst things that ever happened to civilization. People can't put their damn phones down while they drive, so they need a car that drives for them.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Social media and smart phones were the worst things that ever happened to civilization. People can't put their damn phones down while they drive, so they need a car that drives for them.
I mean it made it worse, but it was a problem well before social media was popular.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Blah, blah, blah.......Ford will always have a Mustang, Chevy will always have a “Vette”, they are brand icons, regardless of the media hype.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Blah, blah, blah.......Ford will always have a Mustang, Chevy will always have a “Vette”, they are brand icons, regardless of the media hype.
And that's what the camaro crowd said about the camaro and its been canceled for the second time.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
And that's what the camaro crowd said about the camaro and its been canceled for the second time.
I figured some one would bring up that up, but if you think about it, it makes sense that Chevy would cut it from production and mainline the Vette at a more affordable price. It’s actually very smart of Chevy, since those that are brand loyal will make purchases of the new Vette, and they will also sway a few Mustang people over.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I see this as Ford halo EV performance car.
All the other EV cars will not be based on performance, but other aspects, but this is clearly aimed at performance market.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Go ahead and build the ford electric version of an Aztec.
Just don't call it a Mustang. I have been a Ford guy for years.
I have been in love with Mustangs since I was a kid.

If Ford does this, they lose what Mustang means,
2 seater pony car that has become legendary.
That leaves us to go to Ferrari or Porsche for a true sports car.

Ford is welcome to build anything they want, but leave Mustang name alone.
I know it will change my view on an icon.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
it makes sense that Chevy would cut it from production and mainline the Vette at a more affordable price.
I've never equated the words Corvette and mainstream together. The Corvette will remain a $70K-100K car after the first year marketing campaign is over. Base GT's start in the high $30K's and go just North of $50K. Mustang owners replacing their cars with Corvette's? Some maybe but not enough to warrant cancellation of the Camaro.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Just don't call it a Mustang.
They're not, as least this one. I sure hope they keep it that way.

If Ford does this, they lose what Mustang means,
2 seater pony car that has become legendary.
That leaves us to go to Ferrari or Porsche for a true sports car.
I understand that you currently own the cream of the Mustang crop but most of us don't. Our Mustangs are 2+2 Pony cars and not true "sports" cars. Going from a Mustang to a Ferrari or a Porsche (I presume you mean a 911 series) is way to large of a leap for many of us.

I know it will change my view on an icon.
Why? We have 55 years of history of "our" Mustang. Let Ford do what they want (whose going to stop them). My wife had a 65' Stang. I waited 50 years to get my 15' and now my 19' Nothing Ford does is going to change what happened. Or take the smile off my face when I start that Coyote.

Deleted member 35786

The problem isn't with EVs becoming commonplace. It's concern for the further downstream possibility where there might not be any alternative. Where you'd be stuck driving what other people want you to be driving, and paying for the "privilege".

Norm
It is simple economics. Sport car sales are somewhat strong at the moment for some brands/models. But when the EV's start rolling out in mass and it begins to appeal to everyone the sales will die off. And the manufactures will cancel them when they no longer become profitable.
Sponsored