Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Raise the speedlimit.
I donā€™t want to go faster than 65-70 I will just hog the right lane. I get best efficiency at the current limits. This chart does make sense, follows what Iā€™ve seen entirely.

add in that like 90% of people are texting. I donā€™t want faster deadlier wrecks. When Iā€™m in my car Iā€™m almost hit by not paying attention people daily, and on motorcycle even more so because they donā€™t really notice bikes when they are just looking around periodically while playing on phone

I really donā€™t want higher speed limits. Absolutely dangerous, add in non paying attention driver, texting higher speeds more wrecks and less mpgā€™
1E06DE03-00C8-4610-8623-7427E12E3754.jpeg

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What Iā€™ve observed in South Florida:

County cops: bumblebee. Yes, itā€™s a bee, yes it can sting you but it probably has other bee stuff to do. Also not very cognizant of observing the traffic laws theyā€™re out enforcing.

City cops: worker bees, ready to defend the hive if provoked

FL staties: red wasps, aggressive, always making their presence known. Sometimes you get stung for no apparent reason. You could just be something they decide to f-up that day.

GA staties on I95 between FL and SC: MURDER HORNETS.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If traffic is going 40 + Mph faster than you, you are a road hazzard.
You mean, other drivers are creating a potential hazard by aparoching a vehicle ahead of them at a speed that is inappropriate, as dictated by the sign on the side of the road.

This is like trying to blame the car ahead of you for ā€œbraking too hardā€ after youā€˜ve crashed into them.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
If traffic is going 40 + Mph faster than you, you are a road hazzard.
I agree to certain point.

Problem is some people are VERY slow mentally. You don't want them driving... let alone going faster than the speed limit. 90-year-old grandma/grandpa, for example, probably shouldn't be going down the interstate at 90 mph.

While I'm sure your reaction time is fine think about the mentally slow people... let them stay in the far right-hand lane and get through life. :cool:

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
While I'm sure your reaction time is fine think about the mentally slow people... let them stay in the far right-hand lane and get through life.
The problem is they rarely stay in the right lane. They park in the left lane and block traffic.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
The problem is they rarely stay in the right lane. They park in the left lane and block traffic.
Happened to me today... I'm in the left lane and guy in a white very small toyota came over to left. The other lanes were free!!!!!

I went around him... on his left - not something I wanted to do.

I swear most people who drive slow are also mentally slow. I feel sorry for them.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to me today... I'm in the left lane and guy in a white very small toyota came over to left. The other lanes were free!!!!!

I went around him... on his left - not something I wanted to do.

I swear most people who drive slow are also mentally slow. I feel sorry for them.
We just donā€™t feel the need to rush everywhere. I enjoy my drive comfortably and economically, I leave few mins early and always arrive on time.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s probably true. However, thereā€™s a LOT of people who drive at speeds that donā€™t even vaguely reflect their ability.

I sat in a room of nearly 50 people a while back, listening to a crash scene investigator tell his stories. The idea being that he shows us the basic process of how easily people can die in a crash, the court process, the lives of those involved after the crash etc.

By secret ballot, he asked people to rate their driving from 1-5.
1 being well below average, 3 average, 5 well above average.
80% of the people rated themselves as above average, 10% well above average, 10% average.
Clearly that doesnā€™t work.
Worse than that, Iā€™ve been in a vehicle with most of those people and Iā€™m here to tell you that at least half of them are FAR from what I would describe as ā€œgoodā€. Several I would rate as ā€œbarely competentā€ yet strangely they failed to report that in the ballotā€¦.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Thatā€™s probably true. However, thereā€™s a LOT of people who drive at speeds that donā€™t even vaguely reflect their ability.

I sat in a room of nearly 50 people a while back, listening to a crash scene investigator tell his stories. The idea being that he shows us the basic process of how easily people can die in a crash, the court process, the lives of those involved after the crash etc.

By secret ballot, he asked people to rate their driving from 1-5.
1 being well below average, 3 average, 5 well above average.
80% of the people rated themselves as above average, 10% well above average, 10% average.
Clearly that doesnā€™t work.
Worse than that, Iā€™ve been in a vehicle with most of those people and Iā€™m here to tell you that at least half of them are FAR from what I would describe as ā€œgoodā€. Several I would rate as ā€œbarely competentā€ yet strangely they failed to report that in the ballotā€¦.
That's kind of the point I was trying to make earlier - we drive in "mixed company" - drivers of varying ability. I am sure that many, if not most, drivers do not understand the PHYSICS of driving and how their particular car will react in different situations. Simply applying the brakes is a vastly different experience at 90 vs 50 mph. Speed limits need to take all of this into account, too.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That makes you the dangerous driver.
Your honor, why should I be punished for shooting someone when they shouldn't have got in front of my gun.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ages as well, some places like retirement areas have older aged average vs younger in others, so their responses are probably slower.

fine if they have smart cars doing all the braking/etc for them. but hell, half of them I see driving around with maps up in the windshield, (real) when I lived in Florida, half of the older tourist would be driving up on sidewalks and crap because they have maps up infront of windshield.

I mean, who uses a map anymore?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If it was not safe people would not drive 80 to 85 on the freeways. The limits are set low for one reason, revenue.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
My wife is easily in the bottom quintile. Driving with her is terrifying. I think the issue is people confuse "good" with "safe" A lot of the worst drivers I know are the type the their bumpers look like someone took an angle grinder to them because they bump into stuff in parking lots so much, yet love to claim they have never been in an 'accident'. By virtue of that they are 'good' drivers. OTOH I know people from SCCA stuff that will take off ramps without lifting etc. I don't think anyone would call them safe drivers, but they certain know how to control their car way better. Average Joe would be off the road trying to keep up.
Sponsored