Sponsored

The American Addiction to Speeding

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I contend that most people speeding have little to no idea how much longer it takes to stop. Also, whatever their reaction time is, they're covering considerably more distance during the time it takes them to react, and it's doubtful they've adjusted their following distance to account for that.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I’m not giving in and speeding. I care too much about obeying the speed limit and no tickets. I hold my right hand lane, they can suck it if they want to go around. It’s my lane at the correct limit.
You should look into Waze.

Also having driven from Atlanta to Detroit at least twice a year for the past 35 years, is avoidance of tickets why most people in OH drive so slow in the left lane? Is I-75 patrolled that much? From my experience it doesn't seem so compared to any other random interstate.

I get 26-27 on the highway as well.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Well my 450 HP mustang averaged 27.6 Mpg.
thats crazy. my Ecoboost also got like 34mpg at 70mpg with double the hp. technology is quite amazing. on a track is different than a street though. thats racing, not going point a to b

edit for above-

BEFORE covid, they had drones in the air, at all times, they would troopers like every 2-3 miles, slapping people left and right, all day everyday. it is NO joke in dayton i70/75 area. but now, they backed off hard. occasionally I see one getting a semi, but I see zero cars getting hit anymore.

since covid, my area is gone rogue, people running stop lights, red lights. t boning each other, going 50-60 down 25mph city streets. its really terrible, I hate it so much. I just t boned a chic this summer, she didnt feel like stopping at stop sign, then tried to go left out or right turn instead of waiting,

then after I wrecked dat ass. she then got out, said I could of stopped, called me racist she had her passenger get out, gave a false witness report as another car/driver, etc she got caught, but still, no fraud charges put against her, terrible. said she had no insurance to me, dont call cops etc.. I called cops. she had insurance, tried to get out of everything. im currently suing her insurance. (currently sitting at 18k medical bills) her insurance is only offering medical bills + 25% for my lawyer leaving me not a penny. her phone flew out the window when I smashed her lol.

taking it to trial. they had a chance to play nice! they gonna eat that big weenie. the point of above is, I was going the speed limit, doing my own thing, and people are blatantly blowing through these signs with no regard for anyone else. I hit her, and she went off saying its my fault. thank god, I had 5 witnesses sitting there to go left to back me up.

Last edited:

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Staying with the flow of traffic is the safest way to drive. You can be as smug as you want. Any State trooper or driving school instructor will agree.

There is a reason experienced drivers are not grouped with novices on road courses. Speed differential causes accidents, not speed in and of itself.
But in real life, we're driving in mixed company. The vehicles all have varying capabilities, due to type and condition, and driver skills also vary considerably (and some are distracted). Sorry, but I'm not comfortable joining the pack. I assure you, however, that I am not a hazard.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Just plain wrong.
Yah, all the research says otherwise. Significant speed differences are dangerous. If you are the slow driver and everyone is blowing by you, you are the dangerous driver, not everyone else. You could argue it would be safer if everyone slowed down, but absent a magic wand speeding up is safer for everyone. Statistically going slightly faster (3-5moh) than traffic is the safest speed.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yah, all the research says otherwise. Significant speed differences are dangerous. If you are the slow driver and everyone is blowing by you, you are the dangerous driver, not everyone else. You could argue it would be safer if everyone slowed down, but absent a magic wand speeding up is safer for everyone. Statistically going slightly faster (3-5moh) than traffic is the safest speed.
but legally, if I am going 65mph and someone is going 90mph, or others and wreck from me going my limit, trying to pass or hit me. they are at fault. not me, so with that, I am confident in what im doing is correct. legally speaking you cant make me "at fault" by following the law. and the law is what matters. if others wreck from themselves speeding, thats their own accountability.

even in my mustang, I drove slow, and it benefits because you aren't constantly driving up on people, and can avoid rock chips by not tailgating anyone just get in right hand lane, put distance, hit cruise sit back listen to music and enjoy the ride! as others rip on by

this is my opinion/view point.

I have never had a moving violation or any type of ticket. lol im boring

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If I were a State trooper and avg traffic is going 90 and you are going 65 causing people to slam on their brakes and take evasive maneuvers to get around you, I would pull you over.

This goes back to speed, unless deemed reckless, is not a crime. It is a violation and is at officer discretion on whether to cite or not. There is a thing called too slow for conditions.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If I were a State trooper and avg traffic is going 90 and you are going 65 causing people to slam on their brakes and take evasive maneuvers to get around you, I would pull you over.

This goes back to speed, unless deemed reckless, is not a crime. It is a violation and is at officer discretion on whether to cite or not. There is a thing called too slow for conditions.
you wont win in court. the law will always aid to the legal posted speed limit and safety.- give the ticket out, but it will not stand in court

I read about a case years ago where lady was driving limit, and everyone was doing what you said, it was all thrown out, and he actually had got a ton of negative press over it. the courts sided that she had every right to follow her legal limit even if others was passing. he cited her for too slow/impeding traffic even though she was following 100% speed limit.

that case also solidified my choice to not speed. not today satan. im gonna hold my speed no matter what.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I didn't say I would cite, I would do a "safety" check on your well being.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
but legally, if I am going 65mph and someone is going 90mph, or others and wreck from me going my limit, trying to pass or hit me. they are at fault. not me, so with that, I am confident in what im doing is correct. legally speaking you cant make me "at fault" by following the law. and the law is what matters. if others wreck from themselves speeding, thats their own accountability.
There are laws about obstructing the flow of traffic etc too. You can easily be ticketed for driving the speed limit. They just are rarely enforced. I wouldn’t be smug about avoiding liability.

Either way, the accident data shows driving out of the flow of traffic is unsafe.

tbh i don’t really blame people who just want to follow the law. I blame the administrators who refuse to set speed limits to engineering guidelines. Often they see it as a revenue source. Id be much happier with a realistic limit that would get all drivers on the same page.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't say I would cite, I would do a "safety" check on your well being.
I was just about to edit, he would probably say a verbal thing, but a verbal encouragement to speed I would ignore. im not changing my speeds, to lose mpg, and to break the speed limit to where I know I cant be cited.

its a big feeling, worrying about getting a ticket, I wont do it. you cant persuade me to feel like getting out of my comfort zone. I pay 20 dollars a month in insurance, and I pay 80 a year for my mtoorcylcles, 3 bucks a month per motorcycle.

cant pay me to speed, I wont risk my record and risk getting dinged to my rates.
better believe I would fight a ticket for "impeding traffic" and make as much fuss as I could about it. you cant reward those speeding, and punish the person doing the right thing. im sorry. its wrong and I wont give in. id fight tooth and nail.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Still disagree, and I'm betting my life on it. Y'all can do it your own way.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Still disagree, and I'm betting my life on it. Y'all can do it your own way.
I agree. id rather just not break the law and do the posted speeds lol. its really that simple. I feel better about myself doing the right thing too.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
but a verbal encouragement to speed I would ignore.
I would not encourage you to speed, just point out you are a hazzard and I would strongly encourage you to get off the freeway and find a more suitable route.
Sponsored