The American Addiction to Speeding

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It certainly is. I find speed limits around here are very unrealistic and often make no sense. We have divided, 4 lane boulevards in light traffic areas with speed limits of 25, 35, 40 and 50 mph, depending on the municipality. We have sections of freeway that change between 55 and 70 mph depending on the county they are in.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Maybe the goverment should pay us not to speed.

Maybe pay us with those fresh $100 bills they print day and night.

Just maybe

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I do not speed. I’m basically a robot. I see a number and that’s how fast I go. But I’ve never had a ticket or anything lol

People blow past me + 40mph all day. I see people in rear view mirror panicking shouting raising hands and fist etc when behind me

like no impulse control and they like try to hit anyone they can to get around me. Hardcore road ragers

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I do not speed. I’m basically a robot. I see a number and that’s how fast I go. But I’ve never had a ticket or anything lol

People blow past me + 40mph all day. I see people in rear view mirror panicking shouting raising hands and fist etc when behind me

like no impulse control and they like try to hit anyone they can to get around me. Hardcore road ragers
It depends on where you live I guess. Maybe they pay more attention to that kind of thing there. Here in California if you’re not going 80 people are flying by you. I don’t like it but with the car I drive I’ll take it.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That makes you the dangerous driver.
I’m not giving in and speeding. I care too much about obeying the speed limit and no tickets. I hold my right hand lane, they can suck it if they want to go around. It’s my lane at the correct limit.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The other half of that is if avg traffic is going that much faster than the posted limit, the limit is set to low.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The other half of that is if avg traffic is going that much faster than the posted limit, the limit is set to low.
its 65/70 for my highways, i75/70 and people are averaging 85-90+ not even and in the 55mph over dayton area, people go 70-90 as routine traffic. joking. people used to be fear speeding, ohio state troopers was every mile slapping them down. now, you see one a week. just sitting there, as traffic blares past. im actually disappointed that they aren't cracking down on the enforcement of traffic laws anymore. truly disappointed. I personally hold my speed, and just let them rip on by, but ive had people, flash at me, honk at me, they fly around me and try and brake check me.

its crazy. I think its kind of funny though. in mirrors I will see half the people behind me, (going 50 in 50 or 55 in 55) and they cant get around me due to traffic flying past me and unable to get around, they will be hitting their steering wheels, flipping out, shouting/screaming you can see them having a break down in mirrors.

makes me laugh. people have zero impulse control anymore on the road. at 55-60mph (the speed limits) my Scion tC gets 38mpg, then once I get to 65mph, I get like 34, then at 70mph, I get 30-32. hell no I dont speed. my car only has like 170hp, speeding in my car is no economical and I dont wanna strain it on top of it lol

in many areas, we've had "construction" zones for like YEARS, never ever finished, but still, the signs say go 50mph, I do not speed because they really do work there, albeit behind concrete barriers. but people here dgaf. they ripping through them just like steady regular speed of 70-75. thats the sketchiest stuff to me, I saw a worker get hit by a car many years ago, I dont play around. I know it wont happen, but I dont put myself at any possible risk. plus, it infuriates the speeders so I just hold my own.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Speed limits are set to low. I just got back from Fl. I set my cruise at 84 and was constantly being passed.

The 70 Mph speed limit was set in the 1950's. The freeways were deemed to be safe at 70 for the avg driver with 1940's automobiles. Today that number is more like 90 for cars built in the 2000's.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Rationalize all you want; you're still wrong. Driving at the limit and keeping right makes him safer.
Staying with the flow of traffic is the safest way to drive. You can be as smug as you want. Any State trooper or driving school instructor will agree.

There is a reason experienced drivers are not grouped with novices on road courses. Speed differential causes accidents, not speed in and of itself.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Speed limits are set to low. I just got back from Fl. I set my cruise at 84 and was constantly being passed.

The 70 Mph speed limit was set in the 1950's. The freeways were deemed to be safe at 70 for the avg driver with 1940's automobiles. Today that number is more like 90 for cars built in the 2000's.
see, where you went, I wouldn't go a hair over 70mph. I max go 4mph, and hit cruise. but the faster you go, the less mpg you get due to drag, (atleast for my cars that ive owned gear to speed ratios) anything over 65-70mph, the mpg just drops off heavily. I dont care about saving minutes to sacrifice dollars in gas.

last night my gf and me left Indiana sep cars, shes a speeder, she goes 80+ she got home just a few minutes before my slow ass going 70. I did so not breaking the laws. and she did so with the possibility of getting a speeding ticket if she was to be pulled over (they wont) but still. I dont like the feeling of not being in the right.

as long as I stay in my furthest right lane, im 100% justified in following the posted limits and im perfectly content there. dont mind me, just gonna hang w the semi's lol. good thing about them though, is they must be on cruise control, because im never having to gas up or slow down, they set their speed and pretty much stick with it.
Sponsored