Sponsored

The Albuquerque Stripper - Who says a Mustang can't land a kickflip?

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
What a stressful week it's been, still not able to get my baby to turnover.

Changed out the rear fuel pump assembly that's in the tank.
Changed out the fuel pump controller module that powers the pump.
Changed out the high pressure fuel injection pump that's right next to the engine.

Still can't start.

Did finally get a code on my latest DTC code sweep, P00C6, for the fuel rail pressure being too low.
  • Fuel filter plugged or dirty
  • Fuel supply line restricted
  • Damaged fuel pump module
  • Damaged fuel injection pump

Alright, so I went down to my local Ford dealer, and grabbed a fuel filter for a 2018 Mustang GT. For some reason I couldn't find it on the catalog, but a quick google says it's FG1152. Apparently that part is out of stock, but the guy does some quick work, and comes up with another part number that should work just the same, score! ... some of you that follow me might have an idea where this is going, if so, big brownie points to you.

So since the car is in the street because I can't power it up the slanted driveway and into the garage with no power, I'm burning my ass and back on the pavement where the jackstands are barely holding onto. Smart guy I am, I made some wooden tire stands a few weekends prior just for moments like this. So I get under there, twist off those painful screw/tab things, pop the cover under the driver side and ...

202588830_1141599066320200_943806384116513110_n.jpg

Uhm. That's awkward.

If you look at the subframe, you'll see they've got a square surrounded by two holes, which is where it would mount to for a GT350. So yeah, the dealership sold me a fuel filter for a car that DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ONE*

So, I guess we're down to one.
So, looks like I'm down to one. Thinking of cool ways to purge the lines without wasting a ton of e85 and y'know, setting myself on fire in the street so all my neighbors can complain that somebody set themselves on fire in the street, right after I told them that I didn't actually work on cars on the street.

Hopefully your weekend is going better. Onward and upward.

* Technically, it does, it's like a sock on the hose in the fuel tank that would prevent things from being sucked through. I don't know what the micron rating is and whatnot, but so yeah, technically we have fuel filters, but they're not what's thought of when you think of as a fuel filter.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What a stressful week it's been, still not able to get my baby to turnover.

Changed out the rear fuel pump assembly that's in the tank.
Changed out the fuel pump controller module that powers the pump.
Changed out the high pressure fuel injection pump that's right next to the engine.

Still can't start.

Did finally get a code on my latest DTC code sweep, P00C6, for the fuel rail pressure being too low.

Alright, so I went down to my local Ford dealer, and grabbed a fuel filter for a 2018 Mustang GT. For some reason I couldn't find it on the catalog, but a quick google says it's FG1152. Apparently that part is out of stock, but the guy does some quick work, and comes up with another part number that should work just the same, score! ... some of you that follow me might have an idea where this is going, if so, big brownie points to you.

So since the car is in the street because I can't power it up the slanted driveway and into the garage with no power, I'm burning my ass and back on the pavement where the jackstands are barely holding onto. Smart guy I am, I made some wooden tire stands a few weekends prior just for moments like this. So I get under there, twist off those painful screw/tab things, pop the cover under the driver side and ...

202588830_1141599066320200_943806384116513110_n.jpg

Uhm. That's awkward.

If you look at the subframe, you'll see they've got a square surrounded by two holes, which is where it would mount to for a GT350. So yeah, the dealership sold me a fuel filter for a car that DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ONE*

So, I guess we're down to one.
So, looks like I'm down to one. Thinking of cool ways to purge the lines without wasting a ton of e85 and y'know, setting myself on fire in the street so all my neighbors can complain that somebody set themselves on fire in the street, right after I told them that I didn't actually work on cars on the street.

Hopefully your weekend is going better. Onward and upward.

* Technically, it does, it's like a sock on the hose in the fuel tank that would prevent things from being sucked through. I don't know what the micron rating is and whatnot, but so yeah, technically we have fuel filters, but they're not what's thought of when you think of as a fuel filter.
Pretty sure the fuel filter is integrated into the fuel pump assembly or the tank somewhere.

I'd also add "wiped cam lobe" to the list of possibilities if you go through everything else with no luck.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the fuel filter is integrated into the fuel pump assembly or the tank somewhere.

I'd also add "wiped cam lobe" to the list of possibilities if you go through everything else with no luck.
The basket has a little nipple that connects to another line, and that draws it into the inner basket, which I'm assuming is its way to fight fuel sloshing around, and yeah, the fuel filter is somewhat like a fuzzy stick of gum, where the blanket would stay wet and suck fuel through it, leaving the bad stuff on the outside. e85 is supposedly terrible for the system, but it looked pretty clean from what I could see.

I think I'm running out of possibilities, but drawing closer to what it really is. Today I had work interrupting me what seemed like every time I could get right to the point where things would happen, but, I pulled the hose off from the tank, and then played with some hoses, and a bike pump to push air from the back, all the way through the lines, and disconnected the high pressure pump, and set the ends up with water bottles on both lines to catch any fuel that came out, and hoping that we could get particulates and gunk, inspecting what sludge came out. Yeah, no, there was none that I could see, and without building up much pressure, the gas came right out. Perplexed, I talked aloud, as by now, I've exhausted all of my 4 troubleshooting steps. So, back to fundamentals I went. I went through the fuses and relays but last time, I only pulled and tested the ones related to the fuel and ignition systems, but came across one in position 44 that was dead. On a GT350, it'd be the ignition coils, and on everything else, it's "vehicle power 4" ... which leads me to believe that yeah, it's not the GT350 ignition coils, but it's potentially things in that vicinity or function. Grabbed a few fuses before the store closed, but because of how f'n loud my car is, trying to give it a test fire at 9pm would just get letters written to the HOA after I've been such a good boy. We'll see tomorrow.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The basket has a little nipple that connects to another line, and that draws it into the inner basket, which I'm assuming is its way to fight fuel sloshing around, and yeah, the fuel filter is somewhat like a fuzzy stick of gum, where the blanket would stay wet and suck fuel through it, leaving the bad stuff on the outside. e85 is supposedly terrible for the system, but it looked pretty clean from what I could see.

I think I'm running out of possibilities, but drawing closer to what it really is. Today I had work interrupting me what seemed like every time I could get right to the point where things would happen, but, I pulled the hose off from the tank, and then played with some hoses, and a bike pump to push air from the back, all the way through the lines, and disconnected the high pressure pump, and set the ends up with water bottles on both lines to catch any fuel that came out, and hoping that we could get particulates and gunk, inspecting what sludge came out. Yeah, no, there was none that I could see, and without building up much pressure, the gas came right out. Perplexed, I talked aloud, as by now, I've exhausted all of my 4 troubleshooting steps. So, back to fundamentals I went. I went through the fuses and relays but last time, I only pulled and tested the ones related to the fuel and ignition systems, but came across one in position 44 that was dead. On a GT350, it'd be the ignition coils, and on everything else, it's "vehicle power 4" ... which leads me to believe that yeah, it's not the GT350 ignition coils, but it's potentially things in that vicinity or function. Grabbed a few fuses before the store closed, but because of how f'n loud my car is, trying to give it a test fire at 9pm would just get letters written to the HOA after I've been such a good boy. We'll see tomorrow.
The fundamentals are always what gets ya, lol. Good catch. Will probably fire right up tomorrow. I too do not like drawing the ire of my neighbors, so no cold starts after 9pm for me.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Never been so happy and angry at the same exact time. Took a touch to fill the line that I had blown the fuel out of. It was indeed the 15a fuse in position 44, vehicle power 4. Missed a NASA race that I would have done rather well at, all because I didn't check EVERY -- SINGLE -- FUSE. Instead, I replaced a fuel pump, made a 4 hour roundtrip drive to go pick up the FPCM and borrow a trailer, then another 4 hour round trip to return the trailer, bought a high pressure fuel pump, and now have to fix one of the studs that I broke from over-torquing it. So, what $1000 wasted on what, a $1 part? Awh man.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Patrick, that sounds about normal. But look at it this way. Now you know your car so much better.
Describe "better" :D

This weekend didn't exactly go as well as I had expected it to, to say the least.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
OMG this sucks to see glad you're okay. Hope the repairs go easier than expected.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So sorry to hear about this man. Did you torque the new HPFP to spec? Or just wing it? I'm wondering if those bolts are 1 time use TTY style, since it seems that it snapped for no apparent reason during the run.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So sorry to hear about this man. Did you torque the new HPFP to spec? Or just wing it? I'm wondering if those bolts are 1 time use TTY style, since it seems that it snapped for no apparent reason during the run.
They're actually miniature studs with these unique-ish nuts on them. I did torque to the listed spec, but instead of 180 in/#, I did 15 ft/#, and given that it's on the low end of accuracy for a 10-150 ft# wrench, it could have been anywhere from who knows, 120-240# (10-20 ft/#). Hard to say, but definitely not the place for an ugga ugga.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm about 1/3 of the way through, because I have neighbors that hate me and that doesn't work all that well with limited skill and even less ability.

I think I'm just about done in the engine bay, but noticed this being odd.

1627561374267.png

To those of you unfamiliar with stock s550 Mustangs (AND WHY SHOULD YOU) that's the lower half of the stock airbox, right above it is the air filter, the maf, and all those other engine thingies. Chatting with my buddy Hanno about it the other night, trying to figure out what that's worth. My thinking is that it doesn't show anything on a dyno, as we're not at speed, and it drawing in air from the engine bay isn't too bad. As we're at speed though, it losing some of that velocity as air would blow right through the lower pressure escape hole, and if not, it's going to suck up hot engine air instead of cooler ambient or slightly above ambient air. If it's bleeding air out left and right, then I guess that's the best option, because if not, it's sucking in 10-20 degree hotter air and helping aid the heat soak, which shouldn't be enough to change the air charge density too badly, but probably right around what a typical 3rd/4th dyno run would see with the heat soak, intake/CHT being 10-20 degrees higher than it was over the first run. I dunno, sounded smart at the time.

Disconnected the main electrical engine harness, the fuel lines, heater hoses, disconnected the radiator and its hoses, and even took the radiator out, and got to sit in the engine bay like a big shot. Made removing the intake manifold a little easier, and man, that extinguisher stuff got everywhere. Didn't help that the upper heater hose burst and helped it get into additional nooks and crannies.

1627561399943.png

Looking at the intake, this fella took the heat, and melted some of the harnesses on it, but if I can cleanly get that off, I think I could make some IMRC lockout.

1627561422404.png

had I led off with the lower intake manifold, you probably wouldn't have suspected anything even happened. #7 and #8 closest to it look just fine with no real signs of warping.

1627561446714.png

I ran out of shop towels, but I'll continue to clean some of that up as we get closer to the weekend. Hoping I can get time tomorrow night to get underneath it and do the exhaust, shifter, and start getting it up and out on the weekend.

Last edited:

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
^^The pictures aren't showing up.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^^The pictures aren't showing up.
Seems they were cached on my side, but not on the server side. Good lookin' out.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Just got up-to-date. Hate to hear you missed the last race to a blown fuse. Seems you need to update your troubleshooting guide to add checking all associated fuses...

Any plans on reworking some new aero on the mustang during the down time?
Sponsored