Sponsored

The Albuquerque Stripper - Who says a Mustang can't land a kickflip?

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
So, took another pass at Buttonwillow Raceway Park, after I was struck with bad luck and taking things somewhat carefully as I was shaking things down. I took the Friday off of work, and shared the track with 4-5 other people, plenty of time to start playing with the CW13 format in this car, working on the turn-in, turn-out, early and late apex, and getting some repetition in without traffic. Also, not trying to brag, but gosh darn, I'm totally in love with the sounds this f'n thing makes on a cold start.

I'd love to mention the times, but I honestly don't know them, some combination of poor GPS and cell coverage, combined with putting the phone in my pocket, which would often move Track Addict over to segment mode instead of track mode, which would then not have lap times at all :(

img_20200729_164110_441-jpg.jpg

Gentle reminder that you should always double check your stuff, and use something like a chalk pen to line things up, that way you can quickly pop your head under, look to see everything lined up, and continue on your way. Those astute will notice there is something decently important that I didn't chalk up, and if you'll notice, uh, it somewhat backfired, or disconnected on me. I'd guess if you're a Bronco Bro and crawling over rocks, you might disconnect it, but you're doing what, 5-10mph? Not the same when you're going slightly faster.

But yeah, not having a front swaybar on the track is very highly discouraged. Got to know Tom and the crew at 7's Only, took it over and spent some time with it up in the air, checking specs, tolerances, caster, camber, and toe, and all of them were alright and within spec, so good to have another set of eyes on it, better self-assurance that it's not going to explode randomly.

Saturday came around, and it was a hot one, even 8am in the morning. While most major racing circuits are running up North, we generally take a summer break, for those of you not familiar with Southern California, at places like Auto Club and Buttonwillow, it's 105, and 120+ at the deserts containing Chuckwalla and Willow Springs. In fact, if you leave Willow Springs and head north, your next city is named Mojave, perhaps you've heard of it :D From the others I was talking to, they were complaining early, saying they were 3-5 seconds slower than they usually were, which taking the times that I was running and taking 3-5 seconds off of that, put me in a nice acceptable area, and if further discounting 1-2 seconds because I was running nearly bald Nitto NT01's and not something sticky like a competition Slick or Hoosier, it'd be real impressive. Perhaps not their best day, but when was the last time you got a point-by from a McLaren 720s. I was setting up for the inside-pass and ready to intercept the racing line in Sunset anyhow, but, always appreciative of not having that worry about their situational awareness and track attention, also another reason why I'm running straight pipes.

1596229642107-png.png

As the day heated up, so did the track, and my grip started to fade, as evidenced by not one, but TWO offs, in the same session, in the same turn. Looking back at my video, I wonder if somebody left something, because as a Mustang driver, I'm comfortable with letting the end rotate out, but this didn't feel the same. Despite these conditions, I was probably running 8-9/10ths by the end of the day, just trying to get whatever was left out of the tires, and test its consistency, and more importantly how to handle my car when the tires start to go. Despite crossing the tires up, Sunday was pretty much running bald, with the little dots on the tires hard to see everywhere, and so with this being 5 full track days, we say goodbye to the NT-01 tire, which to its name and reputation, ran rather consistent from its first to its last session. All 5 track days were at Buttonwillow, 4 of the 5 on CW13 configuration, and on laps without traffic, the delta between those times were only about 1 second. A-duh, I've still got some room for improvement, most of it is related to the small tires and 3.55's now acting as 3.73's, and my not wanting to shift and/or go past 7500 in a few places which are Type 3 sections. From the videos I've watched of other NASA ST2 racers, assuming that my digital speedo and GPS are accurate, and that their gps/speedo is accurate, I'm right about where I should be, give or take a few mph.

18828468087_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=v6Cs7ScSaoIAX_oB3v4&_nc_ht=scontent.fsan1-2.jpg

Had fun running in the Red group with some other GT350R's with this lowly GT, but we were dispatching pretty much anything that came our way, so anybody who tells you that Mustangs can't track is misinformed, certainly somebody who hasn't been in a high enough group to get their ass whupped by one.

85092959669_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=mRdO20odRy0AX-8rVsv&_nc_ht=scontent.fsan1-2.jpg

Auto Club Speedway is coming up in a few weekends from now, which I hope goes through. Not only is it my home track, but it's a power track favoring cars such as this, and has 3 straightaways per lap. I thought I had a pretty fast time on my newly departed 2019 GT, and hoping to further improve on that. Fingers crossed, trying to not jinx it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, since we last spoke, a few things have happened.

I got me some more datanerding devices, like a Race Capture Pro from AutoSportLabs, which allows me to pull and analyze more data. Since that's kinda related to what pays my bills, I'm confident in my abilities to figure all that out. I'm not going to show you all my datas, at least, not without dinner and a movie.

116017111_709606663165861_6231299256936184462_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.jpg

(Yes, I'm quite aware that mounting it in the engine bay is the wrong place to mount it.)

I also got some toys from SPL, which helped me shave like 20 pounds off the front.

117171830_112211203798885_9079305332453893911_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.jpg

I also got them dialed in by Will Wattanawongkiri.

117583316_169481284671745_2053518113656893107_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.jpg

Anybody who tells you that Mustangs are heavy pigs has not yet met me IN my car. Sure, you can go lighter, but you're playing with cool expensive things like Docol R8 and some custom tube frame work, whereas this is still mostly from the factory, well, with an 8 point cage too. So with 190 pounds of dumbbells in the seat, it weighs 3580. Take those out, and that's right, the Stripper lives up to its name, coming in under 3400 pounds, almost in full weight trim.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, now almost caught up, that brings us up to this previous weekend at Auto Club Speedway.

If you've been following along, we had a shakedown run at Buttonwillow, which had me say goodbye to my rear bumper on the back straight in the CW25 configuration. Was maybe 5-7/10ths pace there, first time on the e85 race tune, first time on the Nitto NT01's, first time taking the motor above 40mph, and first time the transmission went through the gears, except for 6th, I don't even think I'll ever end up using that thing. Certainly not on a race tra-- anyhow, back to the story. Second time out, I went back to Buttonwillow, Friday on my own, broke the Swaybar End Links off, melted the beautiful Apex center caps, and spent Saturday and Sunday with Speed Ventures in their Red Group and did alright, pushing the pace up a bit higher, gained some confidence on CW13 and made some people happy and more people deaf. Don't get me wrong, I like Buttonwillow, but it's a small, and technical track, but I really like Auto Club Speedway, which is arguably the fastest track in California, three straightaways, brutal on the braking, lots of high speed stuffs, exactly what this car was designed for.

Showed up Friday, dropped it off and spent the night trying to repair one of the plastic bumper tabs that was coming off. If you've been reading my stuff for a while now, you already know what the Stripper is going to do to this young boy's parts, don't you... yeah, she gonna break them.

Wood you say I saw this coming? Yeah, knowing this car, yeah, you probably wood see this coming.

MEME TIME!

upload_2020-8-18_19-51-16.png

Carl's right, I wood.

117426914_134982734942020_7714703305385274037_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.jpg

117651452_2413583295601991_3415004266654685833_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.jpg

and what wood you know, it worked.

... a little too good.

upload_2020-8-18_19-57-11.png

Despite it being 115 degrees outside, ambient air temps well above that, track getting greasy, my bumper held on by wood, and an untalented schmuck behind the wheel, well, we still found our way into the sub-1:50 club, with that 1:49.237. Only one faster was a full decked out Nissan GT-R R35 Racecar running a friggin' 1:40.

Still making some mistakes, if you look at how I came out of 12/13 kinda slowly, and could have taken my usual 120+ line through 7/8, but it's been almost a year since I've been at that track, and with a whole new car, that's a great start. As the day went on, the heat claimed more and more victims, which slowed everybody and everything down with flags and stoppages, and that heatsoak is no joke.

No thread of mine would be complete without something stupid happening, right? So, I'm a madman through this quick left right section, which I still somewhat treat as a straightaway, and hit the inner kerb a little harder than I usually do, and with the compression/rebound as I had it, did an elbow drop on the right kerb, square right on it, dead even. I was doing my checkdown list of what could have happened in my head, but, well, take a look for yourself.

So yeah, THAT happened.

I'm not screwing around when I say I hit the apex hard.

shortnamesexypic.jpg

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Car looks amazing it's handling like a race car. What you mean you melted the Apex caps ?

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Car looks amazing it's handling like a race car. What you mean you melted the Apex caps ?
Thank you very much, it'll look even better shortly, still working on that thing behind the scenes. It really does feel like it's handling like a race car though, now I just have to better guide it.

And melted, well, I meant it as in it was 105f out, and as it is, I brake heavily on the front which makes the rotors and wheels really, really hot, and leaving them in there will just melt them down.

115616626_837024990161463_4259752176681392711_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The last Sunday of the trackday wasn't too entertaining. As we fixed up the passenger side, one would think that the driver side would follow behind it, if the same things that led to its demise attack the other weak link, and yeah, that's exactly what happened.

... but we were prepared with more wood.

914488271_n-jpg-_nc_ht-instagram-fsan1-1-fna-fbcdn-jpg.jpg

Sooo stupid, but, I gotta get those laps in, man! So, after my second run it gave up, and I ran out once again to Home Depot and got some more screws to make that messy contraption. I also broke my habit, where after a run I'll cool down, check some temps, do a post inspection, and gas up. For my third session, well, I went out and had about 1/3 a tank, which is fine on most tracks, but not on this, as the last turn leads to a long straightaway and two big 14 degree banked turns, and that big left lean will have you starving, and embarrassing yourself. Sucks too, they switch the order of the sessions around, and all my friends were up in the stands and were going to get me roaring by full blast, but I was putt-putting around. I led the outlap at a decent pace, and just ... ugh, limped around. Got off the track under my power just fine, coasting around 110 or so, and put another 5 gallon jug in, and made it back through to go out. Dropped the hammer coming out of the pit, and caught something as I was coming back underneath the apron that destroyed and punctured my tire. Thankfully it wasn't a full blowout, but I could feel the pressure rapidly dropping off, and was able to make it into the pits without too much drama.

001950202_n-jpg-_nc_ht-instagram-fsan1-2-fna-fbcdn-jpg.jpg

So, that ended my day and weekend, but after all that, I was pretty happy that despite it being hot as hell, I took 6 seconds off my PB, and there's plenty more time left in there when I shake some cobwebs off, and put another 10-20mph onto the banked speeds with some proper aero holding me down. I think it was good for 3rd fastest of the weekend, which felt nice. Fastest one was nearly 10 seconds faster, full race GTR35 that was doing like 175+, not sure what class that'd be in, certainly not mine.

I still chuckle about the wood stuff, because who does this kinda crap?
535427414_n-jpg-_nc_ht-instagram-fsan1-1-fna-fbcdn-jpg.jpg

Well, I do. I do this crap.

Had my friends help it back on the trailer, as the flat tire made it really low and not clearing things, and just tossed one of my other race rims when I got home to unload it easily, so no drama there.

Picked up an Amazon Fire Tablet on sale this last week, and spent a little time hacking around on it, and playing more with the Race Capture, but at this point, I'm still getting comfy with all of the data acquisition elements, and will script up some various thresholds and whatnot, can't wait.

118212099_338847623904001_6398989399750845789_n-jpg.jpg

Thinking I'll ditch the front console/dashboard at some point, but need more time with this to see if it'll fully suffice and if it's capable of replacing things.

Also grabbed a nice Sparco wheel and now that the GT350 knockoff bumper is trashed, going back to the original bumper that came with it, including the holes and slits for the Roush corner covers. Thanks to @Sik19GT for the upper, with that in there, it already feels more solid than the GT350 one previously did, and I'd assume that the lower chin, splitter, and even the turn signals would keep it from flexing. Kinda don't want to put the turn signal/fogs in because they're decently heavy, so will have to keep on the lookout for some knockoff LCD ones, or just put some plastic in its place, as they're not actually required.

img_20200823_181613-jpg.jpg

It's just so dang hot out lately, and with back to back events in October, might take a lil' vacay from tracking and try to do something super cool to this, but this is one of those situations where the narrator knows something the reader doesn't. Those of you following my IG probably have an idea what's coming.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Thank you very much, it'll look even better shortly, still working on that thing behind the scenes. It really does feel like it's handling like a race car though, now I just have to better guide it.

And melted, well, I meant it as in it was 105f out, and as it is, I brake heavily on the front which makes the rotors and wheels really, really hot, and leaving them in there will just melt them down.

115616626_837024990161463_4259752176681392711_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.jpg
Funny the same thing happened on an unusually cool 90° day at Thunderhill. I was coaching and a guy with a S197 had a couple melted caps.

On a separate note, nice thread and development of the car you have here. You're definitely putting in some work on and off the track! :like:

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Funny the same thing happened on an unusually cool 90° day at Thunderhill. I was coaching and a guy with a S197 had a couple melted caps.

On a separate note, nice thread and development of the car you have here. You're definitely putting in some work on and off the track! :like:
I keep meaning to make it up there one of these days, it's just a long haul from all the way down here, that, and some of those with sound limits make it a little more challenging. Thanks for the kind words, despite all the crazy things that this year has brought into our lives, I guess it's my ray of sunshine, yes, even despite all the dumb things... that's just racing right? I've been watching yours off and on as well through the various local/track FB groups, looks great, and you've got some real cojones to run something that nice around pieces of junk like mine :)

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I keep meaning to make it up there one of these days, it's just a long haul from all the way down here, that, and some of those with sound limits make it a little more challenging. Thanks for the kind words, despite all the crazy things that this year has brought into our lives, I guess it's my ray of sunshine, yes, even despite all the dumb things... that's just racing right? I've been watching yours off and on as well through the various local/track FB groups, looks great, and you've got some real cojones to run something that nice around pieces of junk like mine :)
Yeah it's pretty far for you. I'm in the same boat, I've been meaning to get out to Buttonwillow, SoW/Willowsprings and AutoClub. I've just had a hiccup with work and the current situation.

Thank you as well! It's always nice to meet a fellow driver that's not afraid to push it. :like:

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And with my 100th reply, I'd like to start off with a thanks. Let's be honest, I could have done this without you all, I mean, it's my money and time, but having a sounding board is nice. Having this thread to look back to makes it nice, there's plenty more in store, unfortunately they're all decently expensive as I've done most of the cheap wins.

On the subject of cheap, I'm giving away a set of Hawk Street Performance rear brake pads on my Instagram, all you have to do is follow and comment what part of the Stripper you think needs the most attention next, simple as that. I grabbed them from a local shop trying to keep his doors open, and will ship them by USPS, assuming they haven't been dismantled in two weeks' time.

For more info, offering, not pressuring.

On the subject of dismantling, I recently took out the stock steering wheel to put in my quick discconect hub and new-to-me Sparco wheel. Unfortunately, when you have no stereo, and you have no stock steering wheel, how do you make those annoying nag messages go away that you have to click Ok to? You could certainly ignore them, but it's nice to have things like the temps, your Digital Speedo, or the G-forces, right? Well, if you're me, you get creative and you start breaking things.

What you don't see is me spending waaaaay too long trying to trace the pinouts back, and through the clockspring, before I realized I didn't want to just shove wires into the steering column's female connectors, and I'd worry about driving the way I do and one or more of them coming out, and ... well, the easier thing to do is just disassemble the clockspring hub, and cut that unique harness off the steering wheel. The screws come out with M20-Torq bits, and the clips easily disconnect with your fingers or a flathead. I snipped the main harness from the steering wheel, and with the right arrow pad going through a couple of cable merges, it's a one-way signal, and the left side does the same thing. I cleaned it up a bit by pulling out the other wires from the harness, and if you'll notice in my hand, both wires go into the pin, so don't try to yank just one of them. Also do yourself a favor, and either disconnect the harness so you can easily work on it, or have the battery disconnected. The single white wire when touching a black will honk the horn, and continue honking if they continue to make contact, which I found hilarious at 11pm, but the neighbors probably not so much.

IMG_20200901_103444.jpg

From that, I clipped out and stripped the wires coming out of the green harness on the back of the right arrow pad, and since I work with computers, I got a bunch of old ethernet cables laying around, which are nicely both long, and well insulated/guarded, so I can easily fish it through and then just use some shrink-wrap tunnels on both sides of them.

I've also got an Auto-BLiP that just came in the other day, and it's not that I can't heel and toe, I've been doing it this whole time, but it's probably the feature I notice and miss the most between my 2018 and 2019 GT's. Should my wiring or the device go kaput, I'm still good, but some of the dumbest guys I know drive the fastest, and I'm guessing it's probably because they simply aren't thinking about very much, just feeling and acting when pushing the car to the limits. I can safely put that tidbit here, because they're not smart enough to use the internet, or figure out that Paddy is how my family says my real name :)

More stuff in the works, will save those for another update, but might take this month off from the track, and since I think the setup is pretty good (thanks to Will) I can work on some other little custom projects, like getting that Amazon Fire Tablet I've got mounted up, perhaps pull the dashboard, fix the front bumper/under tray to fix the frontend aero that made the hood jump like crazy, and other lil' nagging issues. I've got another weekend planned at AutoClub in the first weekend of October, and then the following weekend I'll be taking it all the way back up to Buttonwillow with NASA, so might concentrate on those.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hey Paddy,

I saw your IG post. While reading your last post I was reminded of this cool mod that @LAPTIMZ did a while back. I'm thinking I'll do the same someday.

Bezel.jpg

Good luck on your list of mods, Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Paddy,

I saw your IG post. While reading your last post I was reminded of this cool mod that @LAPTIMZ did a while back. I'm thinking I'll do the same someday.

Bezel.jpg

Good luck on your list of mods, Looking forward to seeing it all come together!
Dang, beaten to it. Oh well, I guess that was bound to happen since it's been out for like 5 years now. Thanks for that heads up!

Also interesting that it's on the left side, which I'm assuming was the right arrow pad, and he then flipped it upside down and switched/removed+rotated the OK button, or with the GT350's, is it really on the left? All I've ever had was base models, so I'm going to assume those are magneride controls for the stiffness/mode, along with the electronic steering mode, and is that a ride height adjustment on the far side rocker? I'll admit, that's a pretty good spot, and thankfully there's a low penalty for accidental contact, at worst, it'd go over/up a menu and be a slight nagging nuisance.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, beaten to it. Oh well, I guess that was bound to happen since it's been out for like 5 years now. Thanks for that heads up!

Also interesting that it's on the left side, which I'm assuming was the right arrow pad, and he then flipped it upside down and switched/removed+rotated the OK button, or with the GT350's, is it really on the left? All I've ever had was base models, so I'm going to assume those are magneride controls for the stiffness/mode, along with the electronic steering mode, and is that a ride height adjustment on the far side rocker? I'll admit, that's a pretty good spot, and thankfully there's a low penalty for accidental contact, at worst, it'd go over/up a menu and be a slight nagging nuisance.
The 350 and the regular GT steering wheel controls are flipped....not sure as to why but just know that they are.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 350 and the regular GT steering wheel controls are flipped....not sure as to why but just know that they are.
So not that I entirely know why, but I'd guess that they're sending messages instead of a simple signal across those wires, so in a way, it doesn't really matter. If you disassemble (not that you have to) your steering wheel, the connector is the same on both the left and right upper set of controls, same pinouts and colors, whereas in most of the other analog ones, they have slight variations all throughout, and weird color combos. As the upper and lower sides meet, they join the common colors together, and then make their way to the big grey harness clip, and then join the common ones together there as well. So perhaps each unique PCB board would then say something like increment steering mode, and then that center console display would be your way of knowing. My 2019GT was a 400A (non-LCD) which had the flip switches, so I could move between Normal, Sport, Track, Drag, and Snow/Ice, whereas my 2018GT is a 300A, so it's just a traction control push button on/off with a long hold for the full AdvanceTrac off, but I get the steering mode selector for normal, comfort, and sport/track.

It's that fear of not knowing that prevents me from removing the dash entirely, but I'll do some CAN tracing soon to pass that information onto the ASL Race Capture Pro that I've got that should share that same information just the same, so I'll probably keep that as a secondary validation that the logic/math is correct.

I've connected/disconnected the battery a few times now, don't know if the steering response mode is remembered, but I know for fact that the driving mode control does not persist, would always have to remember to tab up 3 times to get it into track before I went into the engine bay and disconnected that altogether with that wire on the fender by the stock airbox.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
2015-2017 GT's have the controls for the stereo on the left. While 2018+ have them on the right. It's really annoying that they are moving it my Fiesta have the stereo on the right as well. So it's really hard to control your music when switching between different Ford cars ...
Sponsored