Sponsored

The Albuquerque Stripper - Who says a Mustang can't land a kickflip?

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
This was the combo from earlier, do if you don't have enough extensions, you might find this excruciatingly challenging trying to get in that small space on the side between ac lines and the factory header.
IMG_20200420_163330.jpg

I was also rather lucky to have my precat o2 sensor rusted onto the exhaust bung. Let it soak, probably bent my o2 removal socket, definitely stripped it, and spent way too long on it. Respect for those wires pretty solid pressure needed to cut them, but finally get to see the pretty engine.

IMG_20200421_212510.jpg

I'm also thankful that I ran out a day or so before to get the torx e-star sockets to remove those studs, because, at least on my own, I don't know how I would have been able to clear them from underneath facing the clearance issues.
Thought long and hard about whether I want to use the stock gasket and stock studs vs the stock gasket and supplied 14mm bolts vs new gasket and new bolts. Way too long. It was getting late so I just went with the stock gasket, put a few of the studs back in for alignment purposes and put a few upper bolts in again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Having an engine hoist made it go so much faster, longtubes in, and it sounds great, but I've got a slight bias.

These Vorshlag guys have been sending me packages over the last few days, first some Whiteline swaybar links, and now a box with MCS all over it? I mean, sure, I sent them money beforehand, but still. Looks like places are starting to see through the Covid-19 cloud, but even if Josh was nice enough to do so, I don't think I'll be ready to hit Willow Springs in time for Saturday. I've got to swap in the Swaybars, front and rear coilovers, PP 6 piston Brembos, flush out whatever crap was in brakes, flush the tranny, flush the diff, flush the radiator, flush the engine oil, get some CAI, get a tune, get an alignment... oy.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Even if I was going to be ready in time, Willow Springs is booked, which I guess is a blessing in disguise. Worked on the rear, removed the stock swaybar and replaced it with the FRPP Track Pack version, took the factory shocks out and replaced them with Motion Control Systems 2 way adjustables, removed a bunch of dirt from the Lower Control Arm's spring perch area, replaced the rear rotors with a fresher set, and swapped out the rear brake pads with GLock R14's. Unfortunately, their color is a deep green, and with the previous owner deciding to spray paint their calipers, bracket, rotor, shock, and Rear LCA yellow, it looks like I'm a huge Packers fan, which couldn't be any further from the truth. Now that this is done, it should see a nice weight savings from the switch to coilovers, saying goodbye to the big spring, that, and having a pretty quality product there does fit with my "cry once, buy once" approach. Not pictured, I tossed the Apex EC7 and Nitto NT01 on to ensure that they easily clear and have no issues rubbing, not that it was a huge concern with the rear. I would like to have had gotten more work done that day, but it here in San Diego, it was also a nice 97 degrees out, and the way that I have it orientated in the garage now, the rear is in direct sunlight for much of the day, which sucks. At one point, I grabbed for one of my black impact sockets which was sitting in that sunlight, and boy howdy, it felt about the same as that time I accidentally grabbed a brake rotor that was fresh off the track.

Coming up next, I'll move to the front, remove the stock swaybar, replace it with the beefy FRPP version, remove the factory struts on the front, drill out a little more room in the shock tower to get maximum benefit for the Vorshlag CC plates, put in the front MCS struts, and get in the Performance Pack 6 piston Brembos, put on the beautiful Glock R18 brakes and flush out whatever was in the braking system and replace it with some nice race brake fluid.

IMG_20200426_134058.jpg

IMG_20200426_095504.jpg

IMG_20200426_181650.jpg

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Love your project super exiting. Love the MCS 2 way as well.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Car is coming along nicely! What made you want to go with the Motion Control Suspension?

Sponsored

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Love your project super exiting. Love the MCS 2 way as well.
Car is coming along nicely! What made you want to go with the Motion Control Suspension?
Thank you both for the kind words. I've been busy with the day job as I'm fortunate to still be working, so I only get 3-4 hours a night before my clanging and cursing gets to the point where my slightly older neighborhood don't appreciate it. Haven't been brought up by the HOA that I'm aware of, but I'm on pretty good terms with some too. Anyhow, it doesn't look like much progress, but I'be been busy behind the scenes too. Today, I dropped it off for some initial measurements and starting Monday it should getting an 8 point cage built for it with the rest of the safety nets and whatnot. The guy I was talking to was out, but I'll stop by again and check in once or twice during it, but should be 2-3 weeks.

-got a nice set of Conti G6000 slicks from Hoosier to toss on when I burn through the Nittos, and at a smokin' deal which keeps the cost of my consumables low.
-got a new Oxford White hood to replace the one that unexpectedly flapped up when I was rushing over to my buddy's. I'm still rocking the dented one for now, but got the new hood latch, striker, and arm so it'll bling when it's time.
-got a front set of stock fenders and GT350 fenders as well. Will try to work on my fiberglass/carbon skills and make a GT350 to fit the 2018+ facelift, from all I can tell, it's just the tab on the front, and the angle it meets the headlight.
-got a SCT BDX coming early next week.
-got the MAF coming early next week too, and have the harness to wire up where it was cut out. Searching the Ford site for some of those harnesses is quite a pain if you don't have that sweet SnapOn web app they get to use.
-I've lowballed everybody on aftermarket and stock CAIs, I just simply need one at this point.
-I've finished the exhaust and it sounds like a true race car at idle and slight gas, only driven it from the garage to the end of the driveway, and into the shop, a total of maybe 500 feet. So hard to stay off the gas, but it desperately needs that tune.

As for the MCS, that's a good question, I was scouting and researching what people in my intended class are running for their setups, and found a few commonalities -- mainly, the guys who won were good, duh. You're looking at about $1k/corner with all the big names, slightly more if you want remote reservoirs. I was pretty much to a coin toss between this and another, and the final person whom I talked to did it for me. Since most of this has gone pretty smoothly, I have a couple bucks to splurge, so why not buy once, cry once. Honestly, if the shittiest thing on the car is my dumb ass, then that's a good problem, and it's just gas, tires, and fluid changes, who knows, and a lil' luck never hurt. If I can drive this car anywhere close to its capabilities, I should do just fine.

Plenty of compliments on the longtubes and off-road 3" exhaust, sounds like a beast. Also couldn't resist that license plate from my grandpa, expired in April 1989.
IMG_20200501_133222.jpg

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was pretty much to a coin toss between this and another, and the final person whom I talked to did it for me.
What was the other one that you considered ? MCS are used by Vorshlag and Steeda on their racing cars and both are really good cars. So I have no doubt's this is the way to go. However for my build I will go with Ohlins R&T which are 1 way adjustable mostly because they looked as good as the MCS on the Vorshlag car and are better ride on the street and made in Europe which make sourcing them easier for me. I only do Time Attack though. Looks like your car is developing nicely can't wait to see the final product. Did you manage to sell/trade your other Mustang ?

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What was the other one that you considered ? MCS are used by Vorshlag and Steeda on their racing cars and both are really good cars. So I have no doubt's this is the way to go. However for my build I will go with Ohlins R&T which are 1 way adjustable mostly because they looked as good as the MCS on the Vorshlag car and are better ride on the street and made in Europe which make sourcing them easier for me. I only do Time Attack though. Looks like your car is developing nicely can't wait to see the final product. Did you manage to sell/trade your other Mustang ?
Heh, funny you mention that, the Ohlins was the other one. In your situation, if all things are equal, that may sway things for that reason alone. I was figuring with all of the stoppages here lately, if their business is slow, I hoped that I'd get my stuff that much quicker, as the high end kits are usually built to order, and pay their light bill for a few months. Haven't sold the 2019 yet, in fact, the picture above was taken from it. I'm the type who has to see and touch things, so instead of Googling, I can usually just look at the 2019 and figure out what "is normal" when I question the unknown damage or situation, so it's like silly expensive reference manual :) I've also got 3 other cars that do nothing but sit all day, just doesn't make any sense to pay insurance and payments on it, no matter how sexy it is.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Took a trip up north to Long Beach and picked up this beautiful APR GT-250 wing
IMG_20200509_204845.jpg

but for a 2019 Hyundai Kona EV.
IMG_20200509_210140.jpg

Here's hoping I'll find one they make for the 2018 Mustang GT :(

SCT BDX is in, got the MAF, still waiting on the Stock Intake to show up despite numerous calls and e-mails, yapping with Shaun at AED, and in the next day or two should get my first peeps of the cage. In the meantime, go call yo momma, or else I will.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Getting closer, gawhdang this looking nice. But, I'm rather biased, and the idiot footing the bill for the time being.

Stopped by Autopower Industries for a quick check-in and some measurements of where the crossbars need to go for the harnesses.
img_20200513_083837.jpg
img_20200513_084113.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Juggling between here and TMO is like a full time job, in addition to my full time job.

So, updates, I got it back, looks fantastic, didn't paint it yet because I was thinking about doing a racing fuel cell which would probably have me close off the trunk, and then have me notch that covering so the pipe can clear and all that stuff. Back to the drawing board for a touch, even at 95% completion, it's going to be a world stronger and stiffer than what I had before. Also gutted the doors, took out the motors, glass, covering, and got some NASCAR-esque door bars that swing out to give me a lil' more elbow room. Other things like the window net and 6 point harness make it feel like a real race car. Got a little more homework to do about removing the console display stuff and installing the required switches as well.

IMG_20200518_164749.jpg

I know USPS is busting their tail during all the Covid-19, but I wish I could say I was further along, because a package they promised by Tuesday night still isn't here on Friday. I really hope they didn't lose it, but since the very beginning I've been waiting for a stock air intake box, and a place to mount the MAF. I've got a replacement MAF harness and the wiring, and a MAF, I just need something to f'n plug it to, and so yeah, trying to keep cool about it. That means I can't really put in a baseline tune, and certainly can't go to the dyno that I had to reschedule twice. I also like a f'n dope rented a U-Haul, assuming it'd arrive by Thursday. Big nope there. I honestly would have driven up to Los Angeles to grab it if they'd let me, something like how FedEx/UPS lets you pick up at the hub if they can't deliver... but considering that it's been in LA since 3:24am on Tuesday, if they can't find the package for their normal delivery, I doubt they'll find it when I'm on site, if I'm even allowed to.

Anyhow, rant done, I decided I'd toss on the APR GT-250 wing to complete the look, and despite not having instructions because the APR Manuals page is busted, I figured it out after using a hex to remove the bolts, and pretty much slid it around the trunk until it looked good. I'm probably off by a degree, but no worse than others who had the instructions would have, I suppose. Still, looks good and should help me plant the rear when trying to do ACS's turn 1 and 2. Previously I'd get 115-120 on it, but here's hoping I can get a little more planting and get it up to 130-135. Considering that there aren't any other sections of the track that I could do 20mph faster, and with that whole embanked turn being, what, 20-30 seconds worth, I figure that's good for 5-8 seconds with the right aero and camber adjustments.

IMG_20200520_210855.jpg

More stuff coming, but just a few weeks away from the shakedown run at Auto Club Speedway on June 6 + 7, and so I really need that CAI to get in the safety tune as I have yet to take this above 40mph and drive it for more than a few minutes. Here's hoping it shows :/

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Car looks great! I'm enjoying the progress. (Super jealous of the wing!!)

I would just stick to TMO. The mass majority of M6G members only want "dope rims" and then call it a day. The small handful of technical people on here are also on TMO anyway.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Car looks great! I'm enjoying the progress. (Super jealous of the wing!!)

I would just stick to TMO. The mass majority of M6G members only want "dope rims" and then call it a day. The small handful of technical people on here are also on TMO anyway.
Thanks for the kind words, and yeah, perhaps you're right. Superchargers are all good, but I don't see too many full-time track cars, whereas over there... f'n PAE is like, oh yeah, here's our 9x national champion that was crushing all you broke dicks.

I guess only saving grace is that they put a lot more money into their rides (and it shows) so, bang buck champion right here.

CAI FINALLY SHOWED TODAY. So, yeah, work productivity ruined, off to playing I go. Anyhow, thanks for the kind words, see you at ACS? 2 weeks away from this shakedown run, supposing things keep going the way they are.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
More stuff coming, but just a few weeks away from the shakedown run at Auto Club Speedway on June 6 + 7, and so I really need that CAI to get in the safety tune as I have yet to take this above 40mph and drive it for more than a few minutes. Here's hoping it shows :/
My first track day for the season is June 5 so we have similar date to aim for.
Did the package arrived ?

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They finally did, mid afternoon, after promising Tuesday night. Bummed that I couldn't make the dyno, I went and ordered a new front knuckle with the long R Spec studs and 27mm spacers to get the 315's out enough to not rub the nice coilovers, and once I get those in, I'll put on the Brembo 6 pistons, and on these AP rotors some G-Loc R12's for me to get it back up to speed, before tossing on some R16's when I get a little more familiar with the setup. With the majority of the front suspension and braking coming from my 2019, I've got a little faith and familiarity with how it acts.
IMG_20200522_155706.jpg

IMG_20200523_153821.jpg

The one thing that I found somewhat annoying is, the sizes of the PCV tubes is not the same, which makes it hard to put a regular tube onto it. Since the 2018+ are direct injection, it does make sense to get a PCV catch can, but that stock PCV tube is like $26 and a special order.
Sponsored