Sponsored

The 5.0 stranded me on the side of the road today

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Somewhere else in the forum someone mentioned changing the AFE bias by going into "engineering mode".
Upwards… post #20.
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
When I fill up, my trip meter gives me a hair over 200 miles of range on the full tank of 91. Of course I've been driving it a bit on the spirited side, but 200 miles?
It's a 16 gallon tank. Is that really that small? It's larger than most cars for sure. You bought a car that drinks the gas man lol.

I drive all city, only get about 220 per tank average. 300ish if I do some highway driving. 400+ on a road trip.

You are being very heavy on the gas. 🥳 I am too.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Well finally got to half a tank. Filled up with 7.689 gallons at this point which is about 16.9 mpg. Confirmed with gps speed my tire settings are close enough.

Not sure I want to chance going super low again but maybe my gauge is now accurate. Guess I wont find out lol

20210512_145541.jpg

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
With tire wear, tire pressure, tire manufacturing differences and some even change tires differing from stock sizes, why bother caring what the MTE say? All of these affects your miles driven. The car is not using GPS to determine how far you drove but rather the number of tire revolutions. As you deviate from perfect, your miles driven will change.

You have the real tank level. I just keep it no lower than a 1/4 of a tank. Sure, that means I am leaving some miles on the table but I never run out.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
why bother caring what the MTE say?
I've noticed MTE to be very accurate on all my cars for 15+ years now, so I trust it.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I've noticed MTE to be very accurate on all my cars for 15+ years now, so I trust it.
then you drive in a location and manner with the right equipment that maps to what the engineers expected. I have never had the gas mileage map to what the engineers estimate. Too many lights, tons of stop signs and traffic on Long Island prevents it. Very little highway with short ramps and all. You tend to need to do jackrabbit driving just to get up to speed to merge safely.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
then you drive in a location and manner with the right equipment that maps to what the engineers expected. I have never had the gas mileage map to what the engineers estimate. Too many lights, tons of stop signs and traffic on Long Island prevents it. Very little highway with short ramps and all. You tend to need to do jackrabbit driving just to get up to speed to merge safely.
Cleveland, and pretty much all city. I get about 220 to a tank. If I take a little highway drive it goes up to 240.

BMW, Mercedes, Lincoln, Dodge and Ford all managed to tell me accurately how many miles I have left. My first car with MTE display was a Lincoln LS, and that car sucked at a lot of things, but at least it got the MTE right and that was back in 2003.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
then you drive in a location and manner with the right equipment that maps to what the engineers expected. I have never had the gas mileage map to what the engineers estimate.
It's not necessarily about what the engineers expect, but rather about how you've driven in the very recent past - the last few minutes, or the last few miles, or something like that. If you continue to drive exactly the same, then there's no reason for the estimated MTE to be inaccurate (though it usually won't be accurate down to an actual zero MTE, but to a safe point arbitrarily designated as zero).
I've yet to see a car in which 0 MTE means that your engine will actually stop right now. There's usually a buffer included intentionally in the algorithm, just in case. But other than that, taking that buffer out of the equation, the rest of the estimation should be accurate enough as long as the driving conditions don't change. Of course, if they change from one minute to the next, then all bets are off.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
on a long enough timeline the average works out just fine. Now if you go from trundling around town and the highway at 20-23mpg and then go visit a road course where you're now getting 8mpg then yeah the calculations will take a bit to catch up. 'zero' should still leave you with about 1/4 of a gallon. Do what we motorcyclists do - run it like you always do, then calculate how many miles past 'zero' till your engine quits. Back into how much recoverable fuel was actually left. Call a tow truck (or, you were carrying 2 gallon can in the trunk, right?) and fill up. Now you know.

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
I typically get about 310 miles a tank and over the 48,000 miles I’ve driven I’ve averaged 18.1 mpg. Of course having a 19 gallon tank helps. :wink:

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
My car has an issue where when it's under 1/4 tank it will at some point suddenly drop to 0 miles to E and fuel gauge will go deep into the E. When I fill up at this point it still has 2-3 gallons in the tank. First couple times it happened it scared the crap out of me but now I'm aware I have some fuel left. Strange thing is after this happens if I power down the car and restart it will show the correct fuel level and miles to E. Probably a faulty fuel level sending unit in my case.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
My car has an issue where when it's under 1/4 tank it will at some point suddenly drop to 0 miles to E and fuel gauge will go deep into the E. When I fill up at this point it still has 2-3 gallons in the tank. First couple times it happened it scared the crap out of me but now I'm aware I have some fuel left. Strange thing is after this happens if I power down the car and restart it will show the correct fuel level and miles to E. Probably a faulty fuel level sending unit in my case.
Have you tried pulling the pump to take a look? I wonder if something is bent

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
Have you tried pulling the pump to take a look? I wonder if something is bent
Nah it hasn't bothered me enough to go through all that. I usually just fill up before I get to a 1/4 tank anyways.
Sponsored