Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Fill up and then drive to half a tank and fill up again. Should take roughly half capacity. Just make sure to be consistent at the pump.

Should get you close and won't risk running out.
I calculated it out to 14.08 gallons at fill up after I think about 2 gallon from triple aaa. So I think I did run out and the gauge wasn't accurate from my tire size ecu change mid tank.

Well that makes me feel better. Hopefully I dodnt damage my fuel pump and all is good.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
I have a 2020 Mustang Bullitt. I get the alert as soon as it reads 50 miles to empty and it seems accurate. On a positive note I have taken her on two trips, one to Florida and one to Atlanta Georgia and on both trips I averaged between 26 and 27 MPG. Yes I kind of babied her, just a little over posted speed limits so I would not get pulled over and I drive thru the night, a lot less traffic.

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You can see from this video that my car is a little under half tank and it says 39 miles left and the gas light is on lol. The video was originally posted to show how bad of a startup it is with E85.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have not been having good luck since I bought this beast but I knew going into it it might need some work so been wrenching on it fixing everything I could as I go along.

Anyways it's been running perfectly after few repairs, and maintenance items, and power pack 2 install and at lunch I went to go get some quotes on alignments and camber bolt installs.

My gas was at about a quarter to empty so I checked my distance to empty and it said 35 miles so I started my drive to the gas station. I was almost there and I lost all power and the car started coasting immediately. It was like I ran out of gas but without the engine bucking. Flat road no incline. Pulled it to the side, luckily I wasn't on her freeway since it lost power immediately after a shift. I might not have made it to the side of the road........

So popped the hood checked checked everything I could see nothing's was out of place. Tried to start it a few times and it just cranked strongly but no start. Plenty of battery. Pulled out the obd2 scanner no codes at all.

Called triple AAA to bring me some gas. They only supplied 87 instead of 91. Poured some in the tank and boom started right up........

Dash now reads 74 miles till empty instead of 30. No low fuel indicator and the needle wasn't even close to all the way E.

I'm glad the car started but it's hard to believe I ran out of gas UNLESS the power pack 2 has some kind of safety net to shut the car down if fuel is under a certain level?

Anyways it's still been a blast to drive and mod this car so im not defeated yet just dumbfounded as to what happened.

2015 GT PP1 6SPD, lowered, wheels, powerpack 2, sync 3 are the only upgrades.

Most likely the OP might need to adjust the AFE Bias calibration of the cluster. It's been discussed on here elsewhere as others have found that the S550 MPG readings are not accurate or in some instances not being calculated correctly in both the Analog and Digital clusters. One can confirm this if they did the old fashioned MPG pencil to paper (or Excel sheet) math.

--
To adjust the AFE Bias, you first need to access Engineering Mode; the below links demo how to access EM.

If you have a 2015-2020 with the ANALOG gauge cluster, you should be able to enter the ā€œEngineer Test Modeā€.

Follow this link:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engineering-test-mode.27581/

If you you have a 2018-2020 with the DIGITAL cluster, you should be able to access the same test mode found here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-18-digital-dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Most likely the OP might need to adjust the AFE Bias calibration of the cluster. It's been discussed on here elsewhere as others have found that the S550 MPG readings are not accurate or in some instances not being calculated correctly in both the Analog and Digital clusters. One can confirm this if they did the old fashioned MPG pencil to paper (or Excel sheet) math.

--
To adjust the AFE Bias, you first need to access Engineering Mode; the below links demo how to access EM.

If you have a 2015-2020 with the ANALOG gauge cluster, you should be able to enter the ā€œEngineer Test Modeā€.

Follow this link:

If you you have a 2018-2020 with the DIGITAL cluster, you should be able to access the same test mode found here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-18-digital-dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231/
Interesting, I didnt know you would do that. I will have to search for instructions on what to do after accessing that screen. Thank you

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Forget the MTE. Even if that's off, the fuel gauge must still work, and it should not care about your tyres or driving style. If it shows a quarter tank when it's in fact empty, then something is definitely wrong.
Mine showed just a hair above empty when I had about 1.5 gallons left.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Forget the MTE. Even if that's off, the fuel gauge must still work, and it should not care about your tyres or driving style. If it shows a quarter tank when it's in fact empty, then something is definitely wrong.
Mine showed just a hair above empty when I had about 1.5 gallons left.
Agreed, not sure why everyone is focusing on the dte indicator when it was mentioned the gauge seems to be high. The real issue is with the fuel level indicator. Maybe itā€™s reading higher than actual levels which of course would throw dte off.

The only thing that the dte could throw off is when the fuel light turns on as that would affect whenthe light comes on. Mines pretty inconsistent as I tend to drive harder some days than others and therefore may get it anywhere between a 1/4 and under a 1/2 tank. Whatā€™s always consistent is the gauge though.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, not sure why everyone is focusing on the dte indicator when it was mentioned the gauge seems to be high. The real issue is with the fuel level indicator. Maybe itā€™s reading higher than actual levels which of course would throw dte off.

The only thing that the dte could throw off is when the fuel light turns on as that would affect whenthe light comes on. Mines pretty inconsistent as I tend to drive harder some days than others and therefore may get it anywhere between a 1/4 and under a 1/2 tank. Whatā€™s always consistent is the gauge though.
What would cause the gauge to be off? Nothing i can check unless i pull the pump im assuming right?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

--

Follow this link:

This. Mine was 8% high, adjusted it down and it's still a little high but it's within 1% now.

Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
What would cause the gauge to be off? Nothing i can check unless i pull the pump im assuming right?
the only thing you could check is the gauge to see if itā€™s not bad. I believe you could test it in engineering test mode. Otherwise yeah you would have to pull the pump which I believe is pretty easy since itā€™s under the rear seat.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
I've never, EVER had the fuel light come on. Why?? I never let fuel get below 1/4 tank and DO NOT believe nor trust the DTE/MTE readouts in ANY car. Just old school. Hell...I'm just old.:)

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've never, EVER had the fuel light come on. Why?? I never let fuel get below 1/4 tank
It depends on how you drive. I got the fuel light and the "50 miles to empty" message today at a third of a tank. In its defence, I had just made a three hour's drive in a little over two hours. :giggle:
Besides, never letting it go below 1/4 isn't always easy with such an annoyingly small fuel tank.

Last edited:

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Ha! 200 luxurious miles...Iā€™d kill for that! My GT500 not gonna roll for 200 spirited miles, same size tank as yaz. šŸ˜¹

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Pardon me if I'm misinformed.
I thought there was an alterablle setting in the BCM/PCM/ or some module that calculates the DTE based on a formula/ algorithm that uses the tire size as a variable. Perhaps you're not running a standard size tire or someone has altered the tire size in the computer.
My opinion is that you simply ran out of fuel and that the car's calculation of DTE is off for some reason.
Somewhere else in the forum someone mentioned changing the AFE bias by going into "engineering mode".
Sponsored