Sponsored

The 25 year, 500,000 Mile Bullitt - What should I do and How Should I Plan?

CF-105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
Yup, I’m thinking of keeping my 2019 Bullitt for at least 25 years and 500,000 miles. Aside from maintaining the crap Out of it, what else should i plan for? How long will the electronics last? Should I put few of those fancy screens on the shelf? A set of magnaride shocks?

‘Yes, I know this is crystal balling. And we can’t know ahead of time what parts will fail early or often. But, I do believe some planning will help to get over some of the biggest problems.

I’m open to suggestions.
Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I wonder if you can get gasoline in 25 years?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Quite the challenge you set yourself there. How do you even know you will like it in 5 years, let alone 25?

At this point, not much planning needs to be done. Parts will still be readily available for it for many many years. You don't need stuff on the shelf today.

Maybe after 8-10 years you should start stockpiling a few of every single part on the car.

OP
OP

CF-105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
Quite the challenge you set yourself there. How do you even know you will like it in 5 years, let alone 25?

At this point, not much planning needs to be done. Parts will still be readily available for it for many many years. You don't need stuff on the shelf today.

Maybe after 8-10 years you should start stockpiling a few of every single part on the car.
I’ve liked it for 3 years, and I can’t imagine what I would prefer over it on the market now or in the foreseeable future. I’m not crazy about the S650, but I I’d have bought that instead of the S550 if that had been available at the time. But certainly don’t prefer it enough to “upgrade”.

I can’t imagine needing a few of every part. But, the hard to replace ones, or common failures, certainly. Thankfully, the Mustang has always enjoyed enthusiastic aftermarket support.

Sponsored

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
It's fun to dream, isn't it? (I'm not being snarky here; I love to dream myself). First, do you live in the rust belt like I do? If so, you may want to rustproof the hell out of it. What kind of space do you have? Room for whole parts cars? And they wouldn't have to be Bullits (lotsa interchangeable parts). One comment was plenty of spare parts will be available in years to come. Probably true. I would concentrate of Bullit specific parts (badges, upholstery, wheels, etc.) Another comment referenced gasoline availability. One way to kill off ICE cars is to simply outlaw gas (or make it as unavailable as they can). You may want to consider parts to upgrade your fuel system to handle a different fuel? You could make alcohol from grass clippings (just sayin').
I'd even consider spare engines and transmissions, just in case they try to make rebuilding those items impossible. Sorry my memory is bad (I don't remember specifics), but I was reading a thread yesterday from someone asking about a replacement intake manifold that apparently Ford no longer makes. How do you feel about not keeping the Bullitt original? Bottom line: there's no problem money and space can't solve. Unless no Mustangs go to the junkyard....

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
This is my plan too. Doubt I’ll ever hit 500k miles with only summer driving but I plan on keeping it and maintaining it as long as I can.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you're true and really going to keep it as you say - then stock up on anything that is Bullitt specific, period. The unique Bullitt items will be what can't be had in the future - they call it unobtainium. If you don't get those parts now at a reasonable price, trust me - you won't be able to touch them in the future for a reasonable price.

I'm not just talking an item that has "Bullitt" scripted on it, but anything that is unique to the engine, dash, etc. because those small parts won't be available. Ford Parts starts to discontinue vehicle parts 10 years after their production cycle.

Maintenance is key and you could most likely get 500k out of it without ever having to open the engine - if it's maintained properly.

Wear items - again if they are only specific to the Bullitt, stock up what you can.

As far as the electronics - it's like anything else, usually with circuit boards the concern is the solder joints, then it's resistors or capacitors failing IF they are an integral part to certain modules.

If the Bullitt PCM is specific to the Bullitt, BUY ONE NOW ... like I said, it's stuff like that which you won't be able to touch for a good price years later.

OP
OP

CF-105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
How many miles so far?
Covid screwed up my ability to rack up miles. Pre-Covid, I put 53,000 km, which is about 33,000 miles in 7 months. Just over 20,000 km since then. But the world is opening up again, so hopefully, I can start racking up the miles.

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
My advice, for what it’s worth, is don’t worry about it. Just drive and enjoy it. Maintain it regularly and just deal with issues if and when they arise. Who the f… knows what the future holds for any of us.
this…times eleventy 😬👍🏼

OP
OP

CF-105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
My advice, for what it’s worth, is don’t worry about it. Just drive and enjoy it. Maintain it regularly and just deal with issues if and when they arise. Who the f… knows what the future holds for any of us.
I’m not worrying about it in the least. And I am maintaining it well, and driving it a lot. But, there is a big difference between worrying and planning.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
If you're true and really going to keep it as you say - then stock up on anything that is Bullitt specific, period.
This, +1. Turn it into something of a scavenger hunt. Right now, the bits are probably somewhat expensive. But over time you'll find sources and opportunities for good pricing, before the market turns yet again and things become rare.

Junkyards and the aftermarket should be able to continue to support more "regular" parts.

Otherwise, do like most: document everything well and keep the car as original as possible.

Above all, enjoy it.
Sponsored