Sponsored

The 17' sound tube sponge ?

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
I removed the whole sound tube when i installed my Roush CAI. There is a sponge in the end that mounts to the firewall just like the S197 Mustangs. I believe you could grab the sponge with long nose pliers from under the dash. I don't miss any of that plumbing at all.
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Don't remove it! If you have any faith at all in development engineers this is what they say about it. :)

"Mann+Hummel Group, a European parts supplier, is the maker of sound components used in the Mustang and some Jaguars as well as Ford Focus models in Europe. John Baumann, manager for business development at Mann+Hummel, said the sound tube concept comes out of long experience in making very quiet automotive air intake systems."

“We were well-suited for this product because of our experience with acoustics for intake manifolds and air cleaner systems,” he said. “This is one of the few times we allow our engineers to make some noise.”

"Engine sound affects drivers and passengers in other ways, too. Maserati recently publicized the results of a British study that found women who listened to the roar of its sports cars had strong biological responses — specifically, increased hormone levels in their saliva".

Article link here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/automobiles/01NOISE.html
1id34a.jpg

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
When I originally put in the JLT CAI and was sending datalogs into Lund, they were finding knocking happening and said it was coming from false knocking since tried multiple different fuels. They said culprit was usually the exhaust. Well this was when I was too lazy to pull the tube. Once I made sure everything was tight on the exhaust, I was poking around on the intake to see if anything was loose and noticed the sound tube had more play in it. Pulled it right then and there, re-did the datalogging and what do you know, the knock was gone. Good riddance.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I happily threw my sound tube in the garbage the second I got that nut off on the fire wall. Useless junk and clutter in the engine bay. You want sound? Get an intake and exhaust.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' , premium ,10 speed, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
... OK tomorrow I'll see if I can get the one sponge with needle nose pliers.

Sounds like there are no other sponges.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt

I tried looking a while back above the pedals under the dash but it's all sound deadening there ... let me know if you find the exact spot.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well so much for thinking a sponge is underneath that large silver clip, I removed that clamp pulled it apart and there was no sponge. ... That sucks as I was hoping there would be for a little more engine noise.

Last edited:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Might have no choice but to access it from the firewall side in the engine bay.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Might have no choice but to access it from the firewall side in the engine bay.

I looked on someone else's car six months ago and couldn't see it exactly, but it look like the pedals had to be moved, I'm not doing that.

But I'll look again sometime later, not looking forward to it with a sore knee.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
When I install my Velossa after it warms up I'll take a look as per where bjstang suggested.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

From my experience driving with and without ST with stock exhaust - it does not make inside cabin much louder. But it adds some nice sound quality...

Still I decided not to reinstall it - it's kind of cheating, as what you hear inside is not how the car actually sounds. I preffer to hear what others hear.

My advice to you is - do not touch it if you like it. It wad PITA to remove and reinstall would be 2xPITA.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From my experience driving with and without ST with stock exhaust - it does not make inside cabin much louder. But it adds some nice sound quality...

Still I decided not to reinstall it - it's kind of cheating, as what you hear inside is not how the car actually sounds. I preffer to hear what others hear.

My advice to you is - do not touch it if you like it. It wad PITA to remove and reinstall would be 2xPITA.
I don't drive around with my windows open to hear it.

The car sounds good outside as it is... So I'm only looking for a little extra noise inside.

Like I said on the above posts I did this on my 14.... removing two sponges made a big difference. .... It looks like I only have one sponge with my 17 though and it's a pain in the ass to get to.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I don't drive around with my windows open to hear it.

The car sounds good outside as it is... So I'm only looking for a little extra noise inside.

Like I said on the above posts I did this on my 14.... removing two sponges made a big difference. .... It looks like I only have one sponge with my 17 though and it's a pain in the ass to get to.
its up to you. As far as I remember the sponge -it's very thin and does not look like sound deadening thing at all. May be it filters out some frequencies.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
its up to you. As far as I remember the sponge -it's very thin and does not look like sound deadening thing at all. May be it filters out some frequencies.

Each sponge was the size of a cork from a wine bottle almost.... These cars have a lot of sound the Deadning insulation much more than my old 14...

Apparently the one and only sponge on the new Mustang is behind the pedals, and behind the floor insulation... A real PITA to get to.

I looked up top of the hose yesterday and didn't find another one.
Sponsored