Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
No.. I don't want to remove the sound tube, I want to use it..

So far it sounds like one sponge can come out.
Then i'd suggest using it as is. Taking the nut off with a stubby ratcheting wrench is easy just takes time due to the long stud. You will get some scrapes and indents on your arm. Its a tight squeeze getting your arm down there but not impossible.

The tube fits into the firewall kind of like a grommet so even with the nut off it will still stay there. It will be a royal pain to get it back in one you pull it out, but go ahead and try it :) I bet you'll get that part removed and end up removing the whole thing due to PITA getting it back in.
Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Yes, there is a sponge in the tube at the end right where it goes through the firewall. Of you get down in the floorboard and can reach up to you should be able to pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers or a pair of tweezers.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' , premium ,10 speed, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Then i'd suggest using it as is. Taking the nut off with a stubby ratcheting wrench is easy just takes time due to the long stud. You will get some scrapes and indents on your arm. Its a tight squeeze getting your arm down there but not impossible.

The tube fits into the firewall kind of like a grommet so even with the nut off it will still stay there. It will be a royal pain to get it back in one you pull it out, but go ahead and try it :) I bet you'll get that part removed and end up removing the whole thing due to PITA getting it back in.

I'll probably take a peek underneath those two silver clamps to see if there's a sponge around that area before I go for the one behind the pedals...

I would prefer getting a little extra noise out of the car from the sound tube it's possible. ... I'll tinker with it this weekend

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, there is a sponge in the tube at the end right where it goes through the firewall. Of you get down in the floorboard and can reach up to you should be able to pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers or a pair of tweezers.

I thought of that also but I wasn't sure if that was possible.... I was also avoiding that as I twisted my knee cap.... Slowly getting better. LOL

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I'll probably take a peek underneath those two silver clamps to see if there's a sponge around that area before I go for the one behind the pedals...I would prefer getting a little extra noise out of the car from the sound tube it's possible. ... I'll tinker with it this weekend
If you pull it apart at the metal bands don't plan on getting it back together, they are crimped. You might get it back together but you might have to replace the crimped bands with hose clamps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you pull it apart at the metal bands don't plan on getting it back together, they are crimped. You might get it back together but you might have to replace the crimped bands with hose clamps.
I should be able to pull them apart.... Twist that shit back together.

I'll dick around with it Saturday.. After a car show. ... First car show around here in Connecticut "called cabin fever car show" ... Something like that... When I get home I'll tinker around with it.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
There is no point in removing the sponge. I know acoustics, and if you hear a difference it is imagined.

The air essentially vibrates the sponge, and well as the air in its cells, so acoustically it is as though the sponge is not there.

I suspect the purpose of the sponge is about EPA regs.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is no point in removing the sponge. I know acoustics, and if you hear a difference it is imagined.

The air essentially vibrates the sponge, and well as the air in its cells, so acoustically it is as though the sponge is not there.

I suspect the purpose of the sponge is about EPA regs.
Totally wrong... It was definitely noticeable in my 14 GT, it had three sponges, taking three out sounded horrible, leaving one in was good.

It's definitely noticeable

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
The air definitely does not vibrate the sponge. The part that vibrates is a membrane that's in side the bigger round part on the side of the engine.

Here's a pic off an older ST ... the orange part is the membrane.

https://goo.gl/images/CSpiMW

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The air definitely does not vibrate the sponge. The part that vibrates is a membrane that's in side the bigger round part on the side of the engine.

Here's a pic off an older ST ... the orange part is the membrane.

https://goo.gl/images/CSpiMW
Nobody said the air vibrates the sponge.

Where are aware of the membrane vibrating.... My original question was how many sponges are in the sound to if any. ... So far it sounds like just one.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
It's like that one episode of Seinfeld everyone's looking for the sponge in here just like Elaine

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
Rip the sound tube out. It's junk and the only thing it does is clutter up the engine bay.

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
There is a sponge where it connects to the firewall for sure, I remember this when i removed mine.

FWIW the only sound tube threads should be "how do i remove this abortion"
So you're saying the contraption is not sponge-worthy? Should get the tube tied?

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
Don't remove it! If you have any faith at all in development engineers this is what they say about it. :)

"Mann+Hummel Group, a European parts supplier, is the maker of sound components used in the Mustang and some Jaguars as well as Ford Focus models in Europe. John Baumann, manager for business development at Mann+Hummel, said the sound tube concept comes out of long experience in making very quiet automotive air intake systems."

“We were well-suited for this product because of our experience with acoustics for intake manifolds and air cleaner systems,” he said. “This is one of the few times we allow our engineers to make some noise.”

"Engine sound affects drivers and passengers in other ways, too. Maserati recently publicized the results of a British study that found women who listened to the roar of its sports cars had strong biological responses — specifically, increased hormone levels in their saliva".

Article link here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/automobiles/01NOISE.html
giphy.gif
Sponsored