Sponsored

That lazy mechanic! (How I fixed my exhaust drone)

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I recently purchased the Borla S-type. After realizing my Jack stands won't give me enough space to do the installation myself, I took the car and the parts to a shop I trust and paid for installation. After driving with the new exhaust for a few miles, I hugely regretted this upgrade. The car vibrated when idling in gear, especially when AC was on. The exhaust sounded like a fart can at low engine speed, and there was a huge drone at 2200-3000rpm. It sounded so ricey that I felt embarrassed to drive it.
Because I don't find other Borla S-type owners complaining same thing, I thought it was either an installation issue or a defective part I received. Before making a complaint to Borla, I gotta make sure it was installed properly. So I went back to the shop, and let them check the installation. They said all parts were correctly installed. I then asked, did you tighten all the bolts to the torque required by the manual? The mechanic said yes. But that confirmation did not sound very solid to me.
Being skeptical to his word, I jacked up the car this afternoon and got underneath it. NONE of the 8 bolts were tightened to the required torque!!! The manual require 32-35 ft-lbs on the clamps, most of the bolts were not even 30, and there was one bolt so loose like only 20ft-lbs torque was applied. So I re-tightened all the bolts to 34 ft-lbs, in the sequence as instructed by the manual.
After I put down the car and fired it up. MAGIC happened! No vibration at all! When driving it, the noise is day and night difference! The exhaust is quiet under normal driving, and is almost silent when cruising on highway. Exactly as described by other owners and exactly as I wanted. Very little drone happen at 2500rpm, but totally bearable. And consider this exhaust has only 300 miles on it, I expect that minor drone to diminish over time.
Lesson learned here, if you want quality work, it may still be best for you to do it yourself, or at least keep an eye on the mechanic. But for the exhaust installation case, unless you have some tall enough jacks, it is really painful to work in that tiny little space underneath the car. And though my car is just one year old, the stock exhaust is already all rusted. It can be very hard to take it off. It may still worth it to pay for the work, but just make sure they do quality job.
Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Looks like that wont be your trusted muffler shop now. Post a video of your exhaust though.

HDV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 3.7
Congrats man thats awesome! Yeah if you would please post a video of your exhaust. It's so hard for me to choose an exhaust setup I want to put on mine because I REALLY like the stock GT exhaust sound but I also really like the outlaw axel back sound.

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Looks like that wont be your trusted muffler shop now. Post a video of your exhaust though.
Not anymore. He totally ruined the trust I built up over the past two years.

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Congrats man thats awesome! Yeah if you would please post a video of your exhaust. It's so hard for me to choose an exhaust setup I want to put on mine because I REALLY like the stock GT exhaust sound but I also really like the outlaw axel back sound.
Thanks! I would love to post a video if I can figure out a method without a Go-pro while driving. But a video does not really reflect the true sound anyway.

Generally speaking, Borla S-type has the nearly stock part quality, as long as installed properly. The engine is still silky smooth with it. It sounded more exotic under high RPM, rather than muscle. It is very quiet when you want it to. You can still appreciate some soft jazz music when the wife is in the car. But when you are alone driving it aggressively, it can sound very aggressive once passes 3000rpm. Yet still not the attention seeking ricey type sound. The best part is you can hear the sound of backfire when lifting up the throttle. There was one time I downshifted in front of a WRX, and totally irritated the driver just by the sound. He was tailgating me and I just let him hear more NA engine's roaring.
Sponsored