Sponsored

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I cant wait to see real dynos of the Z if the engine really is unchanged the auto it should be almost 380-390WHP with about 400-410wtq. A simple plug on tool will add 3-4PSI and make that well over 400WHP and about 450wtq.

The new Z is the only RWD car I'd even consider trading my Mustang in on right now. Though very unlikely.
Oh yeah, a simple tune on a factory turbo car makes so much difference. I'm excited to see how it does with E85.

And I completely agree. If I HAD to get rid of my Mustang, I'd go for the Z. But all these reviews haven't convinced me it's worth purchasing new to replace the Mustang at this point.
Sponsored

gottasrt4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium and '05 Neon SRT4
yea, I was totally like, "wtf kind of comparison is this!?" until they lined up the price points, as well! thank you, Conman1138, for those excellent details: it was dead even with an '18 PP1.

god the Z's square-as-hell-grill is ugly af; ah, I'm seeing a small resemblance to the '72 Wingnutzz shared, but in this case bigger is not better. if they would've added some angles to the edges it could've actually looked good.

yup: Z's way under tire-ed. and wow! I didn't know the Mach 1 had 300's all around! 💪

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I actually got curious about how it compared to the GT and looked at C&D's review of the 2018 GT PP1. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a14500071/2018-ford-mustang-gt-manual-test-review/

The Mustang pulled slightly higher Gs on the skidpad (0.96 vs the Z's 0.93) and stopped just a couple feet shorter from 70 mph (164 ft vs the Z's 166 ft), all within margin of error/conditions. And considering the nearly identical 0-60 times, it looks like the Z and GT PP1 are dead even in performance. They are very very close in price, too. I think the decision between the two cars really comes down to non-performance preferences.

I like the new Z, a lot, and it's a good bang for your buck, but I wouldn't expect it to be "spanking" regular GTs on the street. With better tires and brakes, maybe it would have an edge? But that's more money on top of an already pricey package. I think a good track test would tell us more.

I was thinking a lot about getting a new Z, but I'm not seeing a compelling reason to trade my Mustang for it from a performance perspective. The aftermarket will turn this car into a beast. But completely stock, I see it as a really good Japanese alternative to the Mustang GT.
I think the Z is posting faster laps tho

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
One day, I'd love to get either

Someone should (re)test the Z later on with sticker tires, since that's the first thing people are going to change. I'm curious how it'd do with something more optimal for it

Sponsored

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
Streets of Willow, Randy Pobst Driving:

2018 Mustang GT, PP1 (MANUAL): 1:23.97
Source:

2023 Nissan Z, Performance Trim (MANUAL): 1:25.32
(AUTO): 1:24.76
Source(Lap times at 10:42):

The Z might fare better on a much tighter track where its weight advantage can come into play, but it is still held back by those tires.

Last edited:

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Honestly I think one of the biggest draws for me that lots of people share with my opinion is the sound of the V8 and exhaust notes on these cars. Even have a hardcore dodge fan friend who absolutely loves my Mach 1 and especially how good it sounds. I will say that my car is probably the best sounding car I've heard so far and still in stock form. Still eventually will get the x-pipe put on sometime soon here but don't think that will change it a whole lot.

Last edited:

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
that's plenty close enough
Absolutely! They have virtually identical performance on paper. A decision between these two will be up to interior, exterior design, and which one you find more fun to drive. Can't go wrong with either choice, in my opinion.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
They have virtually identical performance on paper...
...But in the real world, could the Z car carry a 3rd person, in a pinch?

Better still, could I have brought home this cat furniture in a Z? :giggle:
2022-6-23  cat castle pic1.jpg

2022-6-23  cat castle pic2.jpg

My “Meowstang” would seem to be the more practical car. 😺

The 400Z is technically a hatchback, but the trunk is really shallow, like the 350 and 370Z before it (and unlike my 240SX). I'm not putting much more thought into the Z; I've already got the right car. 😁

Last edited:

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Twenty4/7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 RR GT500
13.1 @ 108 is hilarious

my 20 pp1 ran 12.2 @ 118 on a bare backroad bone stock

the mach 1 just went 12.1 @ 120 in hagertys youtube test on the dusty ass main straight at willow springs

mach 1 handling pack is the ultimate track/street car atm.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
yup: Z's way under tire-ed. and wow! I didn't know the Mach 1 had 300's all around! 💪
Only the Handling Pack gives you those 300s. The base Mach 1 comes with the same tires as PP GTs (though those 255/275 PS4s are still more than enough for every buyer that doesn't go to the track, and even many who do).

In these specs? Where have you seen that? All things being equal, I'm 99.9% certain that the Z has zero chance on just about any track. Hell, I very much doubt it has a shot against even a "base" Mach 1 (no handling pack) or a PP GT, but with a simple tire upgrade, it probably would.

Last edited:

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
Would that require upgraded fuel system?
A quick search tells me that LP/HP pumps and injectors are needed for E85 on a Q60 Red Sport, so I would assume the same upgrades are needed in the Z. That's a bit of a bummer.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
A quick search tells me that LP/HP pumps and injectors are needed for E85 on a Q60 Red Sport, so I would assume the same upgrades are needed in the Z. That's a bit of a bummer.
most of the benefits can be achieved with E30/E40 no? Stock fuel system on the Mustang can handle that, even the EB and gen2 Coyote.
Sponsored