Sponsored

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The Nissan Z is under-tire'd — sounds about like what i've heard in just about every review. The Mach 1 numbers they tested on there are lower than the old ones though. I wonder if that's 2022 emissions having nerfed it a bit or if it was the weather?

I was super surprised to read that C&D thought the Mustang interior was better put together than the new Z interior though, not going to lie.

Mach 1 is still my pick just for the V8 and extra practicality.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
1/4 mile in 13.1 WTF!!! Right off the bat this test is worthless. Get someone who can drive a manual. Thats a problem with a lot of the testers out there. They are so used to driving auto's they can't row their own gears anymore. These times are way off of what a 2018 Mustang GT with manual and a PP2 car ran. They got a PP2 car to run a 0-60 in 4.1 and it did the 1320 in 12.5@114mph. The Mach1 has the better ratios out of the Tremec. They need to post 60ft. times, it could be the track was just slippery as hell.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The Nissan Z is under-tire'd — sounds about like what i've heard in just about every review. The Mach 1 numbers they tested on there are lower than the old ones though. I wonder if that's 2022 emissions having nerfed it a bit or if it was the weather?

I was super surprised to read that C&D thought the Mustang interior was better put together than the new Z interior though, not going to lie.

Mach 1 is still my pick just for the V8 and extra practicality.
The article said it was a 2021 Mach1

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
108mph out of the Mach 1 is highly disappointing.

My 2018 10r80 car went 115 mph bone stock down to the air filter and rear tires.

Sponsored

RoyalCrimsonBill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Car and Driver always underperforms their mustangs in comparison tests. It would take a first timer at the drag strip to run a gen 1 coyote time in a gen 3. I ran 11.9 @ 120 on my 2018 3.15 gear GT, with nothing but the SAME kit in the mach one that gives it extra power, which is the ford performance pack for 2018+ mutsangs. AND I was on all season 275 tires. lol. It was a 10r80 though. But still, trapping that low in the 6 speed can only be done if the let off or spun half track.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Wonder what the test would have looked like against a GT since that is close to the price of the Z. Had hoped for more from the Z in way of materials in cockpit and handling.
As has been said the choice of tires hurts the performance so thought about the Z to GT

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
1/4 mile in 13.1 WTF!!! Right off the bat this test is worthless. Get someone who can drive a manual. Thats a problem with a lot of the testers out there. They are so used to driving auto's they can't row their own gears anymore. These times are way off of what a 2018 Mustang GT with manual and a PP2 car ran. They got a PP2 car to run a 0-60 in 4.1 and it did the 1320 in 12.5@114mph. The Mach1 has the better ratios out of the Tremec. They need to post 60ft. times, it could be the track was just slippery as hell.
The trap speed is way off. They usually correct for conditions but regardless the Z they tested at the same time is right about on target, trap speed wise.

I think they got a particularly weak car. They’ve tested 4 gen 3 GT manuals (trapping at 115, 114, 114 and 114), two Bullitts (115 and 115) and one other M1 (115). This car is the lightest of all of those, surprisingly. 108 is way out of family…

Kevin70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Scion xA, Mitsubishi 3000GT
The Nissan Z would look nice if not for that oversized perfect rectangle grill. Only thing rhe Z has on the Mach 1 is that it is lighter. It is still a pig at over 3500 pounds though.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Nissan Z would look nice if not for that oversized perfect rectangle grill. Only thing rhe Z has on the Mach 1 is that it is lighter. It is still a pig at over 3500 pounds though.
why bother if you're not going to do it right...

And yet another "worthless" C&D comparo. Come on guys, you can't compare a Cup2 car with something that's not remotely in the same league. What, you couldn't get Ford to give you a standard Mach 1 with it's skinny-ass PS4S or Pirelli tires to make it a fair fight?

alas the perfect rectangle hole is one of those "design language" elements designers are infatuated with. No, Nissan design department, nobody gives a damn about your 80's throw-back shapes because it was cheap to make back in the day. Try something that looks good for once.

But if you're going to do it, AT LEAST tie the headlights together with the rectangle like you did 40 years ago, not put it way low and doubled in height.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
That mach sitting next to that Z....the Z looks like a damn corolla man. I know it's subjective but those Z's are just so boring.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Considering the Z is cheaper, the Nissan actually wins since it's a tenth or two slower.

Still waiting for the die hards to eat their words as this Z spanks regular GTs.

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
Considering the Z is cheaper, the Nissan actually wins since it's a tenth or two slower.

Still waiting for the die hards to eat their words as this Z spanks regular GTs.
I actually got curious about how it compared to the GT and looked at C&D's review of the 2018 GT PP1. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a14500071/2018-ford-mustang-gt-manual-test-review/

The Mustang pulled slightly higher Gs on the skidpad (0.96 vs the Z's 0.93) and stopped just a couple feet shorter from 70 mph (164 ft vs the Z's 166 ft), all within margin of error/conditions. And considering the nearly identical 0-60 times, it looks like the Z and GT PP1 are dead even in performance. They are very very close in price, too. I think the decision between the two cars really comes down to non-performance preferences.

I like the new Z, a lot, and it's a good bang for your buck, but I wouldn't expect it to be "spanking" regular GTs on the street. With better tires and brakes, maybe it would have an edge? But that's more money on top of an already pricey package. I think a good track test would tell us more.

I was thinking a lot about getting a new Z, but I'm not seeing a compelling reason to trade my Mustang for it from a performance perspective. The aftermarket will turn this car into a beast. But completely stock, I see it as a really good Japanese alternative to the Mustang GT.

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I actually got curious about how it compared to the GT and looked at C&D's review of the 2018 GT PP1. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a14500071/2018-ford-mustang-gt-manual-test-review/

The Mustang pulled slightly higher Gs on the skidpad (0.96 vs the Z's 0.93) and stopped just a couple feet shorter from 70 mph (164 ft vs the Z's 166 ft), all within margin of error/conditions. And considering the nearly identical 0-60 times, it looks like the Z and GT PP1 are dead even in performance. They are very very close in price, too. I think the decision between the two cars really comes down to non-performance preferences.

I like the new Z, a lot, and it's a good bang for your buck, but I wouldn't expect it to be "spanking" regular GTs on the street. With better tires and brakes, maybe it would have an edge? But that's more money on top of an already pricey package. I think a good track test would tell us more.

I was thinking a lot about getting a new Z, but I'm not seeing a compelling reason to trade my Mustang for it from a performance perspective. The aftermarket will turn this car into a beast. But completely stock, I see it as a really good Japanese alternative to the Mustang GT.
I cant wait to see real dynos of the Z if the engine really is unchanged the auto it should be almost 380-390WHP with about 400-410wtq. A simple plug on tool will add 3-4PSI and make that well over 400WHP and about 450wtq.

The new Z is the only RWD car I'd even consider trading my Mustang in on right now. Though very unlikely.
Sponsored