Sponsored

Tesla (S) drivers always want to race me.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Most Teslas that I encounter appear to be driven on "Autopilot" by someone who is either napping or in mortal fear of running out of charge.
Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A Tesla is fast yeah... with all the heart and soul of a toaster.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Most Teslas that I encounter appear to be driven on "Autopilot" by someone who is either napping or in mortal fear of running out of charge.
After 5 minutes on auto drive the Tesla will beep at you till you put your hands on the wheel to make sure you aren't napping. Although if you sleep through it, no clue what the car will do lol. And they aren't silent when you give it the beans. You hear the motors whine and the tires fight to grip whatever they can, meanwhile you're hanging on in pure excitement. It's an amazing piece of tech but I'd also never own one. With all that tech, there isn't a single thing in the back seat area to charge a device or anything else your spoiled brats may want to do. It also wasn't all that comfy inside and left me to wonder if the motors and sensors really cost 130k because the interior was frankly garbage at that price point. I've always told my friends and family that I can't wait for the "powered by Tesla" badges to hit the bigger car manufacturers.

As far as racing and showing off on the streets goes, those days are behind me for the most part. I say most part because there are still those times (maybe once a year or so) that I do fall prey to giving in to something stupid and it's always followed by some berating of myself after the adrenaline wears off. That and the car I have on order falls into my 10 year plan so I can't be trying to force an accident when it'll be hard enough dodging the ever growing number of people on the roads that fail to exhibit the slightest bit of situational awareness or dare I say patience lol

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Pissing on a Tesla (even not on fire) would be like pissing on an electric fence. You never know if it's charged or not. No thanks.
Could be dangerous. An ex friend from grade-school probably still hasn't forgiven me for telling him to piss on the spark plug to shut off a go kart.

Antigravity Batteries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3 RS
I wouldn't piss on a Tesla if it was on fire. Once Porsche and Ford release performance EVs Tesla will be a has been IMO.
I have GT3 RS and just got a Model 3... We'll see about Ford and about Porsche.... they have some BIG ASS shoes to try to fill. This Model 3 is a seriously EXCELLENT car for a 4 door sedan... and it really quick and nice handling.

. I didn't have the mis-aligned production stuff or bad paint... which I know was true, but a bit of over-hype. But the car handles great, and is CRAZY quick. It does 3.2 secs 0-60 but without any drama. You leterally get pushed back into the seat. Trust me I love drama also... the GT3 will do about the same 0-60 but you have to rev the motor with the brake on then release it and it all pretty lame if you just cruising around from light to light, who wants to rev out a motor on a Porsche driving light to light, its not made for that. So if your driving on the Street the Model 3 is a blast, it just rips around town. I have the Performance version.

As for Ford or Porsche catching up.... I will have to see it. Tesla is the one who actually DID IT... meaning they didn't sit back and make lame looking Electric Vehicles like the biggest Auto Marker in the World Toyota did, nor so-so cars like the Bolt like another Monster Manufacturer GM did, and GM subbed most of that out to the Japanese.

So I wouldn't assume it's so easy and about Money... it also about creativity. Bringing something new and different to market. Making it faster than shit just to blow by all those big bags- of-wind that sit following the same trend for the last 100 years. No I'm not a Tesla convert... I still think it just a great car. But I am seriously impressed and I freaking loved just ordering on-line and having it delivered to my house. No haggling or some sales person who adds absolutely NO VALUE to my Purchase of a Car. So it just a new way of doing things and I found it really easy and pleasant, and I'm a massive gear head.

It won't replace the GT3RS in anyway...it not meant to, and its just a different experience, but it much better than most of you might thing. The thing about Souless driving doesn't really come into play when you laugh about how much torque you have pulling out of corners. It just LAUNCHES out of corners, and it pretty damn fun, and there is no sound, or other sensory input except speed and pull.

By the way I think Mustangs GT350w are freaking AWESOME looking... Everytimes I see them I want one... wish I had one! Itest drove one before the Tesla. Actually would want one more.. but the Tesla is for Commuting and the self driving in LA Traffic is a life saver because I go into LA 3 times a week.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
As far as Tesla goes, I have no interest at this point in driving a golf cart... that will come eventually at the retirement home...
Did anyone catch the scene in Incredibles2 when mrs. incredible drives the electric motor cycle for the first time? TORQUEEEE
As far as street racing goes.. it usually does not go well. I had my 2016 gt coupe out for a Saturday morning cruise down a major city street filled with stop and go lights... some kid in an old chevy nova (i think) black paint with primer colored spray all over.. and a skull on the hood :giggle: pulls up next to me and slowing lines up.... starts revving.... I'm thinking oh brother..:facepalm:.... I need to talk to this kid... but I can't because I had just gotten the windows tinted and could not drop the passenger side to give him the "Adult wisdom/life lessons" talk. So I just waited until the light turned green watch him peel off and dart through 2 cars in front of him.. seconds later here comes the sirens.... sorry kid.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Soon all electric cars will be cheap as our Mustangs and we will own them just because that's what's in the market. Like a parts-chaser Camry today runs 14 seconds in the quarter quick as yesterday's muscle car while easily outbraking and out turning it. I'll lament the manual control as autonomy also comes. But then I'll probably want robots driving as I age and driving isn't as easy or as fun as it ever was, and then I'll park some self driving appliance next to the classic Mustang.

Autonomous and assisted driving evolves and is packaged along with electric motors, or am I wrong here?

Seems like this won't happen looking at the awesome three way pony car arms race we have going on today but just wait a few short years.

But the top Teslas are quick no doubt about it. I'd get one as a second car in a second if I could afford it.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I have GT3 RS and just got a Model 3... We'll see about Ford and about Porsche.... they have some BIG ASS shoes to try to fill. This Model 3 is a seriously EXCELLENT car for a 4 door sedan... and it really quick and nice handling.

. I didn't have the mis-aligned production stuff or bad paint... which I know was true, but a bit of over-hype. But the car handles great, and is CRAZY quick. It does 3.2 secs 0-60 but without any drama. You leterally get pushed back into the seat. Trust me I love drama also... the GT3 will do about the same 0-60 but you have to rev the motor with the brake on then release it and it all pretty lame if you just cruising around from light to light, who wants to rev out a motor on a Porsche driving light to light, its not made for that. So if your driving on the Street the Model 3 is a blast, it just rips around town. I have the Performance version.

As for Ford or Porsche catching up.... I will have to see it. Tesla is the one who actually DID IT... meaning they didn't sit back and make lame looking Electric Vehicles like the biggest Auto Marker in the World Toyota did, nor so-so cars like the Bolt like another Monster Manufacturer GM did, and GM subbed most of that out to the Japanese.

So I wouldn't assume it's so easy and about Money... it also about creativity. Bringing something new and different to market. Making it faster than shit just to blow by all those big bags- of-wind that sit following the same trend for the last 100 years. No I'm not a Tesla convert... I still think it just a great car. But I am seriously impressed and I freaking loved just ordering on-line and having it delivered to my house. No haggling or some sales person who adds absolutely NO VALUE to my Purchase of a Car. So it just a new way of doing things and I found it really easy and pleasant, and I'm a massive gear head.

It won't replace the GT3RS in anyway...it not meant to, and its just a different experience, but it much better than most of you might thing. The thing about Souless driving doesn't really come into play when you laugh about how much torque you have pulling out of corners. It just LAUNCHES out of corners, and it pretty damn fun, and there is no sound, or other sensory input except speed and pull.

By the way I think Mustangs GT350w are freaking AWESOME looking... Everytimes I see them I want one... wish I had one! Itest drove one before the Tesla. Actually would want one more.. but the Tesla is for Commuting and the self driving in LA Traffic is a life saver because I go into LA 3 times a week.
I just don't think Tesla is going to be able to compete when Porsche and Ford get into performance EVs.

Tesla can go fast in a straight line so they have big shoes to fill? Really? I can buy a Ninja 1000 and hit 60 in under 3 seconds for a lot less than 60k you paid for that Tesla and have a lot more fun.

How many races, outside of red light racing on city streets has Tesla won? Any racing pedigree? How does Tesla perform on Nurburgring? For a car with ludicrous speed the Tesla sucks ass around a track.

Ford and Porsche will blow the doors off Tesla around a race track and will match Tesla ludicrous speed in a straight line once they release their performance EVs.

The whole is.greater than the sum of its parts...

Ford and Porsche have serious racing pedigree that will translate into superior electric vehicles IMO.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I can buy a Ninja 1000 and hit 60 in under 3 seconds for a lot less than 60k you paid for that Tesla and have a lot more fun.
Yeah, that's a real relevant point. Most Tesla owners were torn between getting a liter bike or a model S. Definitely apples to apples.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
But I am seriously impressed and I freaking loved just ordering on-line and having it delivered to my house. No haggling or some sales person who adds absolutely NO VALUE to my Purchase of a Car. So it just a new way of doing things and I found it really easy and pleasant, and I'm a massive gear head.
This is one of the big things I like about the Tesla ordering - Sure maybe the only cons were you'd loose out on gettting A GREAT ONE TIME ONLY DEAL ON THIS 2018 MODEL YEAR VEHICLE!! COME IN TODAY!! But I'm honestly in the mind of convenience and yeah, easy. I'd even consider paying slightly more to get a new vehicle delivered - how I want it built - to my house rather than go hunt one down. Going around looking for what you want, trying to get a good deal with potential swampy sales people - extended warranties - etc.. etc.. it cuts all the effort out imo.

That said, I'm definitely not sold on getting a Tesla soon, their production is 'oof' right now it seems, although orders are catching up I presume. I'm really interested honestly in what Fords going to do. I hope they'll look at the performance of the Tesla's and be like "We can make an EV Mustang that'll blow the doors off those guys." And I'm sure Porsche is too.

I'll continue to sit back and let EVs develop. Maybe when I'm more in the mid to late stages of my career I'll then start looking at an EV. I'm not completely sure on maintenance, but perhaps they're a little easier on maintenance costs. Not sure.

Though, I don't think I'll ever not like hearing a nice combustion engine roaring away as you shift through it on some nice curvy road somewhere. Just nothing like it.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be dangerous. An ex friend from grade-school probably still hasn't forgiven me for telling him to piss on the spark plug to shut off a go kart.
Tommy boy!

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that's a real relevant point. Most Tesla owners were torn between getting a liter bike or a model S. Definitely apples to apples.
Well, what do we have here a fu#$+ng comedian.

0-60 is 0-60,. Apples to apples....that is all Tesla owners talk about is how fast they are to 60. BFD,

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Well I liked the S, think the 3 is pretty ugly...thats just my opinion. I looked at the 3 for the wife after turning in in our fusion Energi but at 58K for a car with less room in it I just couldn’t do it. I do think like others that once Porsche, Ford, and others get going on this that Tesla will be in trouble.

Be aware of a couple things, maintenance is a nightmare to get done and getting rid of the battery itself if it does fail, some have, is like getting rid of a barrel of nuke waste. If you get in an accident,.......well my buddy did and didnt see his S for 8 months all the while having to pay his payment.

I think the idea is great, I would like to see it where the batteries get us further than they can now, a typical denver - vegas trip takes 4 hours longer in a Tesla than a fusion engeri getting 40MPH. There is no more free charging for new vehicles either.

Again dont get my comments wrong, I think the Tesla is a great car for what it is, but there are flaws all around. Lets not even get into “we are saving the earth” or its cheaper, because thats a bunch of bullshit.

My brother has the S and its awesome, super fast in a straight line and not bad in the turns, but his 13 Boss wil smoke it in the turns.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Well, what do we have here a fu#$+ng comedian.

0-60 is 0-60,. Apples to apples....that is all Tesla owners talk about is how fast they are to 60. BFD,
Hey, my Hayabusa is faster than your Tesla! My name is Captain Obvious!
Sponsored