Sponsored

Terrible factory seam sealer, or crash repair?

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
20211007_154755.jpg
so this is my 2020 that I purchased new with 4 miles on it. Getting ready to dynamite the trunk, and holy sheet. Does anyone else's car look like this? The dealer has not returned my calls, and Ford customer service said they couldn't help at all. Robot was hungover, or jim-bobs body shop repair?
Im sure you will having lookin great with dynamite and won't notice the Home depot diy looking mess the factory left behind .

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's no secret that new cars get damaged in transit and that individual dealers can make repairs and not disclose this.
Do both sides look like this? Are there areas that don't have the same appearance? Are there any areas of overspray on the undercarriage, window trim, anywhere?
It could just be sloppy work from the factory or it could be something else. In either case I'm not sure what, if anything, Ford will be willing to do.

OP
OP

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
It's no secret that new cars get damaged in transit and that individual dealers can make repairs and not disclose this.
Do both sides look like this? Are there areas that don't have the same appearance? Are there any areas of overspray on the undercarriage, window trim, anywhere?
It could just be sloppy work from the factory or it could be something else. In either case I'm not sure what, if anything, Ford will be willing to do.
Just the one area, other side and underneath are perfect. No other seams, overspray, etc.

20211007_155934.jpg

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
This area in particular is why I think it’s from the factory. The sealer goes under the other material that’s applied. No body shop is going to go to that trouble, especially if they do work that looks like this. I suspect they noted a leak or poor seal in that area before the sound dampening was applied and it was spot repaired by a person (who needs a little more training!) before moving on down the assembly line.
69225721-088E-4DDA-B7A6-FD4A8521EA87.png

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
20211007_154755.jpg
so this is my 2020 that I purchased new with 4 miles on it. Getting ready to dynamite the trunk, and holy sheet. Does anyone else's car look like this? The dealer has not returned my calls, and Ford customer service said they couldn't help at all. Robot was hungover, or jim-bobs body shop repair?
First, THAT seam sealer was applied well after body paint…. Most, if not all seam sealer is usually applied before the paint process. The paint process will coat the seam sealer the same color as the body paint. Also seam sealer would not be over top of or on any wiring harnesses, as the body harnesses are laid into the vehicle after paint and further down the assembly line.

Second, if it was applied after the paint process, it’s anyone’s guess as to why IF it was applied on the Ford assembly line.

Third, yes, there is truth and facts into new vehicles being damaged while in transit, offloaded or while sitting on Dealer’s lots. Those vehicles can be fixed within reason and still sold as brand new if never registered/titled from an actual sale. Body damages, fender replacements, bumper cover replacements, etc all are common allowed repairs per the Ford Warranty and Policy Manual.

Forth, if you’re not getting traction from your Selling Dealership, post your images and facts online on BOTH their and Ford’s Social Media platforms (Facecrap, Instacrap, Twatter, etc). You will get a response. In fact, if you have received an emailed survey from your Selling Dealer, fill it out with all negative responses - you will get a response and/or call asking the “why”, then you can lay it down.

Best of luck - that shit (which it is) is not normal.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
What is the gray stuff? Sound deadening?

Screenshot_20211012-152611_Chrome.jpg

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Stock. I had goobered up sealer under my back seat like that. Had to chisel it away to install the roll cage. PITA.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Stock. I had goobered up sealer under my back seat like that. Had to chisel it away to install the roll cage. PITA.
Maybe They put extra in the convertible's to make them heavier and more safe .hold it together.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What is the gray stuff? Sound deadening?

Screenshot_20211012-152611_Chrome.jpg
It has 2 purposes:
1) Sound deadener

2) Elimination of harmonic frequencies of thin sheet metal or where sheet metal has the ability to flex/vibrate under certain conditions.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Maybe They put extra in the convertible's to make them heavier and more safe .hold it together.
This sticky stuff has absolutely nothing to do with structural integrity or "adding weight" haha
Sponsored