I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
And here I was irritated for being 10 degree's over ambient at a red light the day before yesterday...

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Trust me, I don't enjoy living on the surface of the sun. I'm getting out of here as soon as I can.

I have been making an effort to avoid any stupid driving under those conditions; in fact I baby it like crazy when sitting in traffic.

As far as what I'm running, currently on 93 but I'll be back on e85 within a week hopefully so that should help a tad.
How is the coolant temp? Are you lugging the engine around at low RPMs? I am in Phoenix where it gets just as hot and I can't recall my CHT ever getting above 220F unless I was doing some spirited driving. I have noticed that when I short shift and load the engine at low RPMs the temp will creep up but if I down shift and rev it a bit more it will hover around 200F. IAT will increase up to around 150F if the car is heatsoaked and not moving.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Just an update

After a mesh grill install (which looks fantastic btw) and coolant/water mixture top off (it was like a whole inch below the minimum line), I saw lower temps even with the heat index at 105-110 today. CHT never went above 216 and IATs never went above 135 while idling or driving outside (although I was never in traffic, I did some data logging today and that required a 3-5 minute idle). I did see IATs of like 150 when I would start the car after parking it for an hour or two. I guess the engine bay heat kind of gets sealed in, but once I start moving it starts dropping quickly.

I think it's definitely progress but I still think I need a new tstat.

Any other ideas? CHT temps still seem slightly high but not sure what else it could be.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yikes those hot air intakes :eek:

CHT temps shouldn’t be that high though

Gman

Gman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Mustang
Don't worry about it we're just in the heat wave here in Texas right now got to love this 112 weather, Vegas heat but with humidity LOL

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I wouldn't worry as much about the IAT since it always raises when moving slowly/idle. The CHT is pretty high though. 230F is the highest I consider "safe" and even that is rare to see. If you see temps like that again I would see about changing to the 170F thermostat. Remember that you have to get your tune changed for the thermostat though or it wont do much good.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
If your coolant was considerably low you got a leak somewhere, or was never topped off correctly after changing thermostat. at 105° Mine runs 195-200 cht, 125 tops iat idling as long as you want. Dangerously high CHT's at 260 tells me you prob have air pockets trapped in the motor. As far as the iat's, well gt350 intake... nuff said.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it's still there
With mt JLT never seen anything higher then 122*f, cyl. head temps never seen above 208*f and that's with a stock thermostat,
oil temps never more than a third from cold. Pressure test your cooling system.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
If your coolant was considerably low you got a leak somewhere, or was never topped off correctly after changing thermostat. at 105° Mine runs 195-200 cht, 125 tops iat idling as long as you want. Dangerously high CHT's at 260 tells me you prob have air pockets trapped in the motor. As far as the iat's, well gt350 intake... nuff said.
What remedies do you suggest?

With mt JLT never seen anything higher then 122*f, cyl. head temps never seen above 208*f and that's with a stock thermostat,
I'm keeping an eye on the coolant levels. If they start dropping again, it seems pretty clear to me that I have a leak. I'll get them pressure tested if that happens.

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
My area is back in a heat wave so I have a better comparison. Today temps was 111. I let the car Idle at work for 10 mins before leaving. IAT's came down from 128 as soon as I started driving. On the freeway my temps came down to 118 and held for the 8 mile drive. 2 mile on street it was coming down to 118 once I hit 45 mph. The last time we had temps like this I was at 135 Iat's on the freeway. 155 on the streets the heat soak was real. I know my velossa rams are doing their job. I have a PMAS which is known for high IAT's even worse I have the heat shield which is not even half a heat shield the whole front of the intake is open to the radiator. My Cht's were normal 192 today last time the were at 210. I do have a 170T but I also drive a base with the smaller radiator. So you would probably benefit from the 170 t stat. Pretty cheap mod as they are only like 50 bucks.

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
You are in Canada though how hot does it get there? I'm not sure what the weather is up there but do you reach 108+ degree days?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You are in Canada though how hot does it get there? I'm not sure what the weather is up there but do you reach 108+ degree days?
Once in a blue moon we can hit the 100*f+ mark. We had three weeks of 95*f-97*f temps. Regardless.. the oil / coolant and cylinder heads temps stabilize at whatever the gonna be no matter what the ambient temps in summer are.
Sponsored