Sponsored

Tell me im an idiot for considering this... trade gt350r for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
For me that voodoo motor and tremec transmission is the best part of a gt350. Other than that what makes them so "special"? They aren't a real shelby car afterall. Now, carbon fiber wheels alone are ludicrously expensive enough to warrant not getting rid of but at the same time as expensive as they are i would be affraid to drive with them anywhere other than a race track. I would have a panic attack with every pot hole or rail road track i seen.

Not a jab at the gt350 guys at all, i just dont get why they are worth the price and stealership price gouge on top. Outside of a intoxicating exhaust note and better transmission.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
For me that voodoo motor and tremec transmission is the best part of a gt350. Other than that what makes them so "special"? They aren't a real shelby car afterall. Now, carbon fiber wheels alone are ludicrously expensive enough to warrant not getting rid of but at the same time as expensive as they are i would be affraid to drive with them anywhere other than a race track. I would have a panic attack with every pot hole or rail road track i seen.

Not a jab at the gt350 guys at all, i just dont get why they are worth the price and stealership price gouge on top. Outside of a intoxicating exhaust note and better transmission.
Have you ever driven one? If you havenā€™t you will never understand. And that OK. But you are really missing out.

Deleted member 13861

Nope the 350/R is a keeper. I wouldn't even consider my base 19 for that trade.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever driven one? If you havenā€™t you will never understand. And that OK. But you are really missing out.
Certainly have not driven one or ridden in one. I am Assuming you have a gt350 variant. Can you elaborate on the missed experience? I mean i could listen to that voodoo all damn day with a excrement eating grin on my face. But its certainly not only the motor im missing out on.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Certainly have not driven one or ridden in one. I am Assuming you have a gt350 variant. Can you elaborate on the missed experience? I mean i could listen to that voodoo all damn day with a excrement eating grin on my face. But its certainly not only the motor im missing out on.
Nope I have a California Special. But I have driven both the GT350 and the GT350R. It was worth the pain in my left knee :giggle: . That said there is no way to verbalize it. You have to do it. Then, and only then, will you understand. It may not be a ā€œrealā€ Shelby but Iā€™d swear a piece of Carrollā€˜s soul in each one.

Sponsored

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3

before this degrades into another dumpster fire like that Mach 1 versus GT350 thread, short answer Is that all the components of the GT350/GT350R engineered and tested to work to give unique driving experience, especially on the racetrack. People criticize voodoo 5.2 V8 for lack of torque, but on a racetrack with the tremec transmission, itā€™s magic and the sound adds 20-30 mph to sensation behind the wheel. Also, the carbon fiber wheels, Cup2 tires, magneride suspension tuning, ABS programming, braking system, etc are all tuned together to make the car balanced at the limit on track and inspire a lot of confidence (like porsche does with their GT cars) A- pillar forward, everything bespoke and made to maximize cooling and aerodynamics, and to widen front track to allow for better turn in (Mach 1 uses plastic fender liner extensions). And with the GT350R, front and rear aero that are balanced and wind tunnel tested. The first few years of GT350R production, ford performance offered a ā€œbaseā€ model, with everything removed including sound deadening, for those true track rats, like the original 1960 GT350 R models, thatā€™s special to me and a small but passionate group.

and I agree there is no real ā€œShelbyā€ pedigree to this car. But in my opinion, it most closely follows his original vision of the first mustangs he ever modified, and the fact that the GT350R-C won championship itā€™s first year of competing (2016) adds to this legacy.

Last edited:

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
But in regards to original post, those Roush guys know how to tune factory mustangs and know a thing or too about engines, lol. For a street car, that is maybe even a daily driver, I would choose the Roush stage 3 over my GT350R even. I bet it makes smooth, linear power and sounds and looks amazing !

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Not everyone recognizes and can appreciate an engineered solution..and for those people, I guess they can save a lot of money :)

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

It's hard to describe. In 2018 I had given up on Mustangs and was getting ready to move models entirely after my 2009 GT500. I read a couple of reviews and then saw this article from 2016 talking about the GT350.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-motor-trend-best-drivers-car/

Its best lap was 1:36.11. In 2010, a Ferrari 458 ran 1:36.22. More important, that lap wasn't hard work. "It was putting a smile on my face even though I'm dead serious about trying to turn a good lap time," Pobst said. "That almost never happens."

It's not the fastest car, but it's connection with the driver is incomparable to the standard mustang GT models and that's all down to the engineering of the team at Ford. I'm not some shelby die-hard. In fact I turned down the option to run the SE Shelby region for precisely that reason. If this car was a SVT Cobra or something I'd love it just as much.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's hard to describe. In 2018 I had given up on Mustangs and was getting ready to move models entirely after my 2009 GT500. I read a couple of reviews and then saw this article from 2016 talking about the GT350.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-motor-trend-best-drivers-car/

Its best lap was 1:36.11. In 2010, a Ferrari 458 ran 1:36.22. More important, that lap wasn't hard work. "It was putting a smile on my face even though I'm dead serious about trying to turn a good lap time," Pobst said. "That almost never happens."

It's not the fastest car, but it's connection with the driver is incomparable to the standard mustang GT models and that's all down to the engineering of the team at Ford. I'm not some shelby die-hard. In fact I turned down the option to run the SE Shelby region for precisely that reason. If this car was a SVT Cobra or something I'd love it just as much.
When this car was first hinted at, without a public name - I SO hoped it would be a new SVT Cobra.

I think Ford can still push out another Mustang drivers car before EV takes over - I was thinking it would be a Boss - but thinking SVT Cobra would be even better!

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
Nope I have a California Special. But I have driven both the GT350 and the GT350R. It was worth the pain in my left knee :giggle: . That said there is no way to verbalize it. You have to do it. Then, and only then, will you understand. It may not be a ā€œrealā€ Shelby but Iā€™d swear a piece of Carrollā€˜s soul in each one.
When this car was first hinted at, without a public name - I SO hoped it would be a new SVT Cobra.

I think Ford can still push out another Mustang drivers car before EV takes over - I was thinking it would be a Boss - but thinking SVT Cobra would be even better!
The terminator guys would flip out, lol.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The GT350 is more in line with the ethos of the 2000 Cobra R than the terminators.
I agree - but remember the 93-99+01 was a solid OEM+ car, NA with some brake and suspension updates. THe 03-04 with it's IRS maybe wasn't intended to be the bolt-on monster that they became known for. Still, I think you're on to something - they should just make one car - the 20xx SVT Cobra R.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.