PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I might be naive, I don't know, but why do some people blank out their number plates when posting pics of their cars.
Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
I might be naive, I don't know, but why do some people blank out their number plates when posting pics of their cars.
It possibly reduces the chances of a thief tracking down where the car is garaged.

There may be other reasons.

Reactions: PKs

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Here in the states it's very easy to enter a plate number into the DMV database and track down where the car is kept and the owners info.

OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Here in the states it's very easy to enter a plate number into the DMV database and track down where the car is kept and the owners info.
Okay that makes sense. In Australia in order to log into the Transport Department databases security questions and or further identification detail is required.

Sponsored

Scroob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 19' ecoboost
There have been cases where a criminal will have stolen (for example) a red mustang GT, they see your same red mustang GT photos on here showing your plate. That criminal then makes a copy or fake of your plate, knowing that a police detector will match the plate to a red mustang GT (specifically your mustang that isn't reported stolen), avoiding any alarm bells without further inspection.

This becomes an issue for you especially when you start getting speeding fines and toll bills mailed to your address, while the criminal has been on a joy ride in a similar car bearing your (copied) plates. Although this is usually a bigger issue on sites like Carsales where certain car types are searchable, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Okay that makes sense. In Australia in order to log into the Transport Department databases security questions and or further identification detail is required.
That sounds like a much better system.

Fingers

Can't re Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Various Ford vehicles
The idea of keeping modifications and illegal actions (ie speeding and burnouts etc rather than criminal activity) seems like the logical reason to do it, as the plates are in plain sight any time you have your car out and about,
Sponsored