Sponsored

Tear in Frame

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I personally would not want a dealer to make that repair.
Understandable, especially if it isn't covered under warranty. To me it's mainly cosmetic, so I don't see safety issues. The biggest issue is whether it comes back, so you'd want a repair with a warranty.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
OP
OP
rolfe.oliver

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
I could be wrong but in this picture, do you see 3 more voids? 2 at the tab and 1 in the corner of the radius straight above the tab?
I thought I saw two more pin holes closer to the rear of the seam.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rolfe.oliver

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
I personally would not want a dealer to make that repair.
I tend to agree, but at the least I think I will let Ford take a look at it first. This seems like a bizarre material defect.

OP
OP
rolfe.oliver

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
As Biggus Dickus pointed out, I am attaching these pictures where it looks like more failure in the same corner.
IMG_5722.jpeg
IMG_5723.jpeg

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
As Biggus Dickus pointed out, I am attaching these pictures where it looks like more failure in the same corner.
IMG_5722.jpeg
IMG_5723.jpeg
Just for comparison, can you share what the driver side looks like? Would be interesting to compare the two sides…

OP
OP
rolfe.oliver

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Just for comparison, can you share what the driver side looks like? Would be interesting to compare the two sides…
Looks like I didn't take a pic of that side, I will get one, but I saw no pitting, tearing, or holes on driver side.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Looks like I didn't take a pic of that side, I will get one, but I saw no pitting, tearing, or holes on driver side.
It could be possible that the pass side quarter could have been replaced if the driver side is much cleaner. I looked at mine and it's substantially cleaner (in terms of install) than your pass side. Pull the pass tail light and see if there is remnants of a repair.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rolfe.oliver

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
It could be possible that the pass side quarter could have been replaced if the driver side is much cleaner. I looked at mine and it's substantially cleaner (in terms of install) than your pass side. Pull the pass tail light and see if there is remnants of a repair.
pain in the ass to pull? What would I be looking for?

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I could be wrong but in this picture, do you see 3 more voids? 2 at the tab and 1 in the corner of the radius straight above the tab?
This does not look like "Factory Original" to me. The voids, crack and paint quality look more like a repair has been performed in the past IMHO.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
As bad as the panel work and factory paint can be, nothing in those last two pictures looks factory to me. Even the paintwork on the outside surfaces shown in your pics looks off.

I‘d consider paying a high end body shop a few bucks to tell you if it’s been repaired. Looks like it was finished with 60 grit sandpaper and a brush.

805CarGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT 5.0/AT, '02 Explorer, '49 International KB2
If you take it to a body shop they will likely remove the paint down to bare metal in the area, add a fillet weld to reinforce and fill the gap, then prime and paint. Luckily the repair will be out of sight, hidden by the trunk when closed. If you get this repaired, ask if they can spray rust proofing behind the repair area to prevent corrosion. The protective coating on the back side of the metal will get burned off during welding.
I'm with StangTime on this one, as a former body shop employee. While the simple route would be joint sealer and touch-up and the extensive solution would be a whole new quarter grafted in... a professional tig weld repair with blended respray is most ideal. And as StangTime stated, thankfully this is located in an inconspicuous location. Just my two pence.

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
I thought I saw two more pin holes closer to the rear of the seam.
This does not look like "Factory Original" to me. The voids, crack and paint quality look more like a repair has been performed in the past IMHO.
That's what I was thinking. I hope that's not the case because unreported issues like that should be punishable.
Sponsored