Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Dear Members,

As mentioned earlier, Mustang6G will no longer be supporting Tapatalk from today forward.

This decision has not been made lightly as I understand it affects more than a few members. However, we, along with a growing number of other forums feel that over the past years Tapatalk has become increasingly more intrusive, ignored member privacy, provided poor technical and customer support and engaged in several dubious business practices.

Why have we decided to drop the application?

Unfortunately, over the years the company's business practices and the development direction they have taken have been to the disadvantage of not only webmasters and forum hosts, but also forum members.

• Tapatalk has in the past opened several possible security holes without alerting webmasters of the vulnerability for months. This vulnerability could have allowed attackers to gain access to members' credentials.
  • By default, Tapatalk uploads images to their own servers, hijacking ownership of the content from the forums where they rightfully belong.
  • All external links clicked on by members passes through Tapatalk's proxy servers instead of directly to the destination URL. This opens the possibility to track and analyze your activity.
  • Tapatalk seems to be keeping a copy of each forum's content in cache on their servers. They have not asked permission for this and we do not condone it.
  • Tapatalk started to divert users to login through their own instead of the forum's login function.
  • Forum registration via Tapatalk (turned on by default) bypasses the forum's spam filters and is a potential gateway for spammers.
  • Tapatalk keeps removing/disregarding usergroup permissions.
  • Tapatalk keeps adding annoying popups to the site which have to be taken care of after each upgrade.
  • Tapatalk support is poor and slow. Critical threads on their own support forum are frequently ignored, closed or deleted.
  • Updates are inconvenient, infrequent and paid versions have shown with Tapatalk's own advertising content.
  • Many site features (iTrader, Pictures and Albums, Social Groups, Calendar/Events, Wiki, MOTM, etc) can not be accessed through Tapatalk.
  • Tapatalk is owned by a Chinese parent company that (as rumored) previously partnered with the Chinese Government. Most of their employees are based in China and they have a satellite office in the U.S. While this in and of itself is not a deal breaker, we recently discovered that we blocked the company's IP address years ago on Mustang6G due to suspicious activity. We only discovered the IP address was Tapatalk's own offices when they requested it be unblocked in order to assist with a technical issue.
  • Over the years Tapatalk has transformed from a pure forum reader to an app geared towards piggybacking on the investment of site owners (even inserting their own content), marketing to our membership base, diverting traffic away from the forums, funneling discussion and content onto their own servers and adding intrusive/invasive features, many of which serve to dilute the forum's branding and independence, all without prior consent from the site owners.
So how can we access the forum via mobile devices?

The full site is completely functional in all mobile browsers. We have also added a new Mobile Style that automatically adapts to the screen size of the device used. We will continue to make refinements and improvements to both the desktop and mobile versions of the site.

For all those that use Tapatalk, the reason we have removed it is due to the security and privacy concerns the application poses and the company's questionable practices which are well documented. All of the above info can easily be found through an online search and is reflected by their app's low user ratings and negative feedback from other webmasters.

Downside

The only potential downside of removing Tapatalk is the lack of instant push notifications. The forum does send out notification emails, however, they are not always instant. If this is a concern to some of our current users we shall be glad to look into the possibility of installing add-ons that allow us to send out push notifications.
Sponsored

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That is a shame. I resisted Tapatalk on forums when it first came out. But quickly found it was the best way to surf forums on a phone or tablet.

I am glad to see the site at least made the changes to make the forum more mobile friendly. But there is still a lot of info to load with every page. With the banner, advertisements and so on. It also takes up screen space. Is there a way we might get a stripped down version of the site? A true mobile site? m.mustang6g.com.

Thank you to the moderators and administrators for working on the site. I am sure I am not alone in thanking you for your efforts.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like the right move.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
:thumbsup:Thanks for looking out for us and the heads up.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I've always avoided it. I'm glad the annoying popups will be gone when trying to hit the site by mobile without it.

Sponsored

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white
guess i found my reason it wouldnt work at lunch today lol, do have one question tho. now that tapatalk isnt supported, how do i send a pic through a private message? lol

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I am a strictly TapTalk user so this hits people like me the hardest. I appreciate the looking out, really I do but I think the end user experience is going to suffer greatly for a lot of us.

Now, a true mobile site or an exclusive 6g app and instant notifications option would really make this decision a lot easier.

I will be patiently hoping one or all of these mentioned options become a reality.

Jaime

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Thanks for the update, now I know why I couldn't log in a few minutes ago.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
M6G android app would be amazeballs

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Now, a true mobile site or an exclusive 6g app and instant notifications option would really make this decision a lot easier.

I will be patiently hoping one or all of these mentioned options become a reality.
I vote 10,000 times against an exclusive app unless it supports the BEST phone OS (Windows). Been there at a forum that dropped Tapatalk for a dedicated app that was described as basically a customized Tapatalk but chose to support iOS and Android only.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I support your decision based on the information provided. Love this forum, so although Tapatalk was what I used to access it I will just use broswer now. No biggie.

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS
Being a moderator for over a decade now on another mustang site, tapatalk sucks let me tell you. Good call!

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Wow this sucks. So much easier to manage my forums. Can you look into Garage Talk app? Its what F150forum runs and it seems pretty good. What would it take to get in with them?

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I vote 10,000 times against an exclusive app unless it supports the BEST phone OS (Windows). Been there at a forum that dropped Tapatalk for a dedicated app that was described as basically a customized Tapatalk but chose to support iOS and Android only.
Windows phones are like the Mopar of the phone world. :D ;)

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Subscribed to see if there will be any future app support. The mobile version is less than desirable to use. Especially with the strategically placed adds towards the bottom that you have to pay attention to avoid touching while scrolling or it opens the ad...and the one always docked at the bottom of the screen...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.