Sponsored

Talk Me out of a Supercharger/Supercharger Suggestions

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I don't have to worry about emissions testing. So, I got that for me.
That's good to know & another check-box on your list.

Are you saying I would need headers and CAT delete to run a Whipple?
I am suggesting you, anyone considering, any form of boost.
Should ask the suppliers & manufacturers, the hard questions about the long term outcome of fitting their system & using their tunes.

I've learnt, the hard way, the world & his wife is ready to sell you anything to boost your car.

But once you have, if it then transpires you've:
Melted this.
You need that.
These are done, you need replacements.
You should have fitted X,Y,Z.

So ask the supplier about the system they're supplying & whether their system & tune will result in you then having to spend & replace more.

Once you have their answers in an email.
You can decide whether or not to proceed.

I'm good with my Whipple, the performance is astonishing.
I just wish certain suppliers had been more open about the consequences, the hidden costs.

Once you've fully researched & understood the consequences of boosting & know what to expect.

Then get the work done & enjoy a boosted Mustang!
Pretty sure you won't regret it.

:like:
Sponsored

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Oh, heck no. No strut tower brace on this car and the blower more than makes up for whatever loss of stiffness there is in the chassis.

I'm surprised at givemeadollar's experience with cats. Put a combined 100,000 miles on two Terminators with 2.3 Whipples on em making 16# of boost. Never a problem with the cats. Put 5,000 on this car since last year, with the VMP 2.3 already on it, total miles not known, but certainly no trouble with the cats in the time I've owned it.
I do have the the metal brace that goes to the firewall and I got a Steeda K brace to install. I think I am good on losing the strut tower.

I was surprised about the CAT/Header issue too. Hadn't heard that before.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Re the cat melting issue. Was that on an EU spec car? If so, the cat would have the inbuilt GPF resulting in a less free flowing stock cat than the pre 2018 cars and also the US home market post 2018 cars. The cat would therefore be less happy about more hot gasā€™s passing through it due to being boosted.
Ie a stock non GPF cat is within the tolerance for mild boost. A GPF cat is not.

Shawn2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 401A Auto
If warranty is concern, Roush blower will back the 36K warranty. You lose the tower brace though. Superchargers are too fun. You may crash. You may get large traffic tickets. Everyone will want to race you. Your insurance and gas bill will skyrocket. Your tires won't last long. Your drinks will spill.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Re the cat melting issue. Was that on an EU spec car? If so, the cat would have the inbuilt GPF resulting in a less free flowing stock cat than the pre 2018 cars and also the US home market post 2018 cars. The cat would therefore be less happy about more hot gasā€™s passing through it due to being boosted.
Ie a stock non GPF cat is within the tolerance for mild boost. A GPF cat is not.

Yes, correct, I " live " in the U.K., so my 2019 GT has the combined CAT & GPF.

Obviously I do not know whether folk in the U.S. get the GPF combined with the CATs on U.S. Mustangs, especially as I get the impression, not all states have the same emissions requirements??
But I thought it was worth mentioning, to save someone else making the mistake I did.

I might have hoped a U.S. tuner would have known or warned me about this.
But as I posted before, the tuning scene want to sell.

Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Yes, correct, I " live " in the U.K., so my 2019 GT has the combined CAT & GPF.

Obviously I do not know whether folk in the U.S. get the GPF combined with the CATs on U.S. Mustangs, especially as I get the impression, not all states have the same emissions requirements??
But I thought it was worth mentioning, to save someone else making the mistake I did.

I might have hoped a U.S. tuner would have known or warned me about this.
But as I posted before, the tuning scene want to sell.
You are in the UK where I can only imagine emission rules/regs are 100x stricter than the US.

Why can't you find a UK tuner to do your UK emissions?

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Just found this on Kenne Bell's website:

MUSTANG CATALYTIC CONVERTERS.
SHOULD I REMOVE, GUT OR REPLACE WITH HI-FLO CATS?

In our opinion NO, NO and NO! Removing the cats is illegal in all 50 States as doing so pollutes our environment. Ever close your garage doors and smell exhaust without cats. You wonā€™t like it. All because some ā€œthinkā€ thereā€™s big HP gains in them.
Most important, weā€™ve seen ā€œ0ā€ HP gain even at 775RWHP (387.5HP per cat) with our own ā€˜05 Mustang test car. See ā€œHeader, Cat, X Pipe & Exhaust Testsā€ in Ford Tech section.
EARLā€™S AUTOMOTIVE
Also ā€œ0ā€ HP (stock vs. gutted) Earlā€™s Kenne Bell supercharged 700HP ā€œFirst Cobra in the 9ā€™s.ā€
ST MOTORSPORTS
Ran back to back tests at 600HP and 700HP. Gutted cats vs. stock was ā€œ0ā€ HP on their ā€˜06 Mustang.
KARLā€™S EAST COAST SPEED
827HP Shelby. Headers, 3ā€ x pipe and no cats. 2HP!
ā€œHi Floā€ cats? Really? Show us your flow tests. HP tests. Our 1000HP air flow bench reads 407 cfm stock and 549 cfm gutted and no HP gain at 775RWHP. Besides turning on your engine light, gutting or removing cats has another drawback ā€“ the exhaust gets raspy (noisy).
Still want to gut those cats ā€“ or buy some ā€œHi Floā€™s?ā€ We welcome any magazine to come to Kenne Bell and test back to back on any Mustang ā€“ ours or theirs. Weā€™ll hook up the data logger and record back pressure, air flow, temperature, etc. and, of course, HP with and without cats. All at no cost ā€“ IF itā€™s printed in a magazine. And we promise the tests wonā€™t be skewed by changing ignition timing, AF ratio, pulley (boost), x pipe, headers, exhaust etc. to increase HP. You know how that can go. ā€œCats and a tune,ā€ Cats and a pulley,ā€ ā€œCats and cat back . . . ā€œ Just a typical Kenne Bell back to back cat test.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
You are in the UK where I can only imagine emission rules/regs are 100x stricter than the US.

Why can't you find a UK tuner to do your UK emissions?
You might be forgiven for thinking we have strict emissions laws here.
Technically, we may do.
But you'd soon change your mind if you saw how many crappy old diesel, shit boxes, chug around here, with visible black smoke, coming from the exhaust pipe.
How they get through the annual MoT test, is a mystery to me.

I'm not aware if any U.K. tuners who don't go to U.S. tuners for the tune, whether they tell you or not.
Furthermore, I don't think the V8 tuning scene in the U.K. is as sophisticated and experienced as in the U.S. After all, the U.S. tuners have been doing it for longer, for a larger market.

@Stang55
Thanks! That's a very interesting find.
:like:

I wonder what KB would say about these new GPF/OPF with respect to longevity of them Vs power from being boosted.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I think the US tuners shy away from tuning gpf cars as they donā€™t have them locally to do the in depth leaning on the dyno and computer. U.K. tuners are not well versed on the coyote and the common power adders. MAP in Hull (I think) has a reasonable go, but I hear people say AED and PBD tunes are nicer to drive on the road. If you donā€™t have any mates at Cosworth then you are a bit out of luck . Donā€™t take the GPF cats off as it will fail the mot. You could look at kooks green headers for every day driving and have a local exhaust shop mate up the original stock cats to some custom link pipes then swap them in once a yr for the mot, if you can be bothered with the faff. In that set up you are just asking a US tuner for a US based tune on green headers and SC. They should have that combo well known.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I think the US tuners shy away from tuning gpf cars as they donā€™t have them locally to do the in depth leaning on the dyno and computer.
You might like to hope so, but that has not been my experience with U.S. tuners.

I have a GPF car & the U.S. tuner I paid, seems not to know how to tune for GPF & more importantly, does not seem to care. So when the tune roasted my CATs & GPF, their response was like:

" Hey buddy, you need LTH now! "
Hahaha!

So, as I've suggested before.
I would check what your exhaust based emissions controls are, to start with, ie, just CATs or CATs+GPF.

Then chat with the manufacturer of your preferred FI system, regarding the CATs & if you have them, GPFs, etc.

Then discuss all of that with a reputable tuner.

Then & only then, would I suggest you're in a position to decide whether or not to pull the trigger & go FI.

Do the research, chat to the FI manufacturer & a tuner.

Then go-boost & smile!
:rockon:
Sponsored