Sponsored

Takeover culture and the predictable war on car enthusiasts

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Many of us called it. "Takeover" douchery is going to ruin car culture. We initially saw indirect laws in places like California for modified exhaust systems (as an initial salvo to do SOMETHING to target car culture).

Now we're seeing states graduate to more detailed and formal legislation. As you would expect, the result is that many "typical" or "traditional" types of car enthusiast activities and enthusiasts are going to be swept up in the same net.

You can't film cars! Video recording is illegal! West Palm Beach PD @ Cars and Coffee - YouTube

WPB cars and coffee is one of the largest in the nation. The particular combination produces a great venue where you can go out and see everything from offroad vehicles to imports, domestics, exotics, classics, etc. Although C&C "exits" have been frustrating to public agents and problematic for some time, it wasn't until recent legislation was passed (specifically targeting "takeovers") that now LE have very broad (and downright scary) authority to arrest, impound, cite/fine for all manner of vehicular activities.

Here is the Bill Florida passed and active October 1. It's not out of line to speculate other states are pursuing similar laws. template 1..7 (flrules.org)

After reading the new statute, it's unclear as to whether cars leaving a traditional gathering would be considered an "exhibition" or more flimsily a "contest" but it's clear that is what the officers in the video are inducing, and additionally, anyone "spectating" (or filming) is guilty of the misdemeanor outlined in the statute.

So in essence, you take a law that was intended to stop "takeovers", sprinkle in a bunch of broad elements (like street racing, exhibitions, "contests" of any kind, etc) and what you end up with is a law that now makes someone just randomly standing on sidewalk and filming at odds with the criminal statutes.

Some of us recognized early that the modified exhaust laws were just the start.

Reading the statute, it's actually quite scary. They can now impound your car if they firmly believe you're in violation of subsection 2 (takeovers, races, revving your exhaust, etc)

Welcome to the new future where "takeovers" is the straw that broke the camel's back and gave the public the outcry and mandate to pass these broad and sweeping measures.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Mostly I want to see what comes of this thread. Some things have been on my mind for some time. It has been known for many years agencies/states can set up inspection requirements. My question is what happens to post 1968 vehicles which have been modified with say a new LS or Coyote. I figure they could push things so an owner might have to put the engine +emission's back to factory specs or be banned from the road.

More to your point. It may be like the way the EPA (I think) decided bees could be classified as fish so ass to fit them into an existing portion of their authority. So yes, I can see a vaguely worded law or rule twisted to go after car culture. The "war on fossil fuels" will not be limited to new vehicles for sale. The true believers will be after older ICE cars as well.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The cars are just the begging. The are eventually going to come after all of us.

Blue Flame Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 GT 401A Mischievous Purple
As someone who frequents C&C Palm Beach people definitely get crazy at the exits there. The last few times have been rather tame since the police have been there in full force and have stopped people from filming very close to or on the road itself. Of course you will still have the few that go full send. Sadly it's guys like these that will end up ruining it for everyone. The cops being d*cks there doesn't help

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
As someone who frequents C&C Palm Beach people definitely get crazy at the exits there. The last few times have been rather tame since the police have been there in full force and have stopped people from filming very close to or on the road itself. Of course you will still have the few that go full send. Sadly it's guys like these that will end up ruining it for everyone. The cops being d*cks there doesn't help
Agreed. But now it's under force/threat of law. I honestly thought the cop was doing the typical misquote/misunderstanding of the law, then I read it. I'm sure that eventually, it'll be challenged in the courts, but "filming" is largely protected under the 1st amendment in countless cases throughout American history. To say that cars leaving an organized meet is an "exhibition" is a stretch, but giving warnings and threatening citation to someone simply observing is the next level.

It seems when they crafted the law, they were concerned about giving some provisions for LE to be able to have teeth not just for the violators, but passengers, observers, and people simply attending a very wide range of things. So now you can be arrested/jailed/fined/cited for simply being an observer.

I personally think without the "takeover" nonsense, a bill like this is unlikely to ever make it through.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Like most things in life, the douchbags force the powers that be to have to react. In the hobby we love so much those douchbags get people killed or directly kill them. I put most of it on the real scurge in society which is social media. Social media has take the look at me itis to such a level its unreal. Sadly, the cats out of the bag so to speak and it’ll never go back.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2018 golf r
Thank you for posting my video! The more recognition the better. I can't stand that I've been going to this car show for many years and this is what it has come down to. It's simply a shame what's going on. Appreciate you guys!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Like most things in life, the douchbags force the powers that be to have to react. In the hobby we love so much those douchbags get people killed or directly kill them. I put most of it on the real scurge in society which is social media. Social media has take the look at me itis to such a level its unreal. Sadly, the cats out of the bag so to speak and it’ll never go back.
Yep, the losers that can't or won't accomplish anything in life turn to social media to get people to watch their clown act.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Many of us called it. "Takeover" douchery is going to ruin car culture. We initially saw indirect laws in places like California for modified exhaust systems (as an initial salvo to do SOMETHING to target car culture).

Now we're seeing states graduate to more detailed and formal legislation. As you would expect, the result is that many "typical" or "traditional" types of car enthusiast activities and enthusiasts are going to be swept up in the same net.

You can't film cars! Video recording is illegal! West Palm Beach PD @ Cars and Coffee - YouTube

WPB cars and coffee is one of the largest in the nation. The particular combination produces a great venue where you can go out and see everything from offroad vehicles to imports, domestics, exotics, classics, etc. Although C&C "exits" have been frustrating to public agents and problematic for some time, it wasn't until recent legislation was passed (specifically targeting "takeovers") that now LE have very broad (and downright scary) authority to arrest, impound, cite/fine for all manner of vehicular activities.

Here is the Bill Florida passed and active October 1. It's not out of line to speculate other states are pursuing similar laws. template 1..7 (flrules.org)

After reading the new statute, it's unclear as to whether cars leaving a traditional gathering would be considered an "exhibition" or more flimsily a "contest" but it's clear that is what the officers in the video are inducing, and additionally, anyone "spectating" (or filming) is guilty of the misdemeanor outlined in the statute.

So in essence, you take a law that was intended to stop "takeovers", sprinkle in a bunch of broad elements (like street racing, exhibitions, "contests" of any kind, etc) and what you end up with is a law that now makes someone just randomly standing on sidewalk and filming at odds with the criminal statutes.

Some of us recognized early that the modified exhaust laws were just the start.

Reading the statute, it's actually quite scary. They can now impound your car if they firmly believe you're in violation of subsection 2 (takeovers, races, revving your exhaust, etc)

Welcome to the new future where "takeovers" is the straw that broke the camel's back and gave the public the outcry and mandate to pass these broad and sweeping measures.
Granted legislations similar to the linked have been passed in some States, there is still "just cause" that the Police need to have in order to make enforcement of citations or impounds. They can't just see a car gathering and start flagging everyone.

The problem with these "takeovers" are the assholes (yes, assholes) who get on certain social media platforms, "recruit" other "assholes" to go to venue XYZ to disrupt traffic, local events so they can perform their douche moves AND get their Social Media counts/thumbs ups/YT cash outs...

This just happened at a Sept. event here in NJ - where the location of the event has a great history of traditional Classic car gathering. Some online "clan" with bad seeds decided it was going to do the "takeover". Well, that ended in multiple crashes, multiple injuries and the (2) fatalities of innocent people.

So due to the "assholes" who thought it would be cool to do what they did - MORE laws will be implemented - not only more laws, BUT venues that have had positive influence and traditional car gathering history will most likely be canceled because now it's going to be deemed a liability to towns/cities to have such a venue with mass turnout.

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/09/mor...nues-after-deadly-weekend.html?outputType=amp

It's disgusting and IMO, anyone showboating in these "takeovers" should have their vehicle impounded, crushed and the book thrown at them - because they are nothing more than a danger to the public - and are ruining the actual events where folks are being responsible.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Granted legislations similar to the linked have been passed in some States, there is still "just cause" that the Police need to have in order to make enforcement of citations or impounds. They can't just see a car gathering and start flagging everyone.

The problem with these "takeovers" are the assholes (yes, assholes) who get on certain social media platforms, "recruit" other "assholes" to go to venue XYZ to disrupt traffic, local events so they can perform their douche moves AND get their Social Media counts/thumbs ups/YT cash outs...

This just happened at a Sept. event here in NJ - where the location of the event has a great history of traditional Classic car gathering. Some online "clan" with bad seeds decided it was going to do the "takeover". Well, that ended in multiple crashes, multiple injuries and the (2) fatalities of innocent people.

So due to the "assholes" who thought it would be cool to do what they did - MORE laws will be implemented - not only more laws, BUT venues that have had positive influence and traditional car gathering history will most likely be canceled because now it's going to be deemed a liability to towns/cities to have such a venue with mass turnout.

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/09/mor...nues-after-deadly-weekend.html?outputType=amp

It's disgusting and IMO, anyone showboating in these "takeovers" should have their vehicle impounded, crushed and the book thrown at them - because they are nothing more than a danger to the public - and are ruining the actual events where folks are being responsible.
Hello; Had a similar thing back in the time before i got a driver's license (1963). There was a lot of street racing. I can recall a common thing happening just outside of a small town in a meteor crater, Middlesboro KY. There were two main outlets from the crater back then. Well, there are still two main outlets today.
Cars would gather at the bottom of the highway section that went over the gap in the ridge near Cumberland Gap TN. The road was uphill and did have a slight curve before reaching the top. The main feature was having two lanes going uphill so the racers could avoid oncoming traffic. I never drove in the races but did see some of them. Also saw some cars having the rear tires changed over to slicks.
That does not happen anymore. Partly because lots of drag strips opened and gave racers a place to go. Mainly because in 1996 a pair of tunnels were opened that were drilled thru the ridge. The old road was closed and put back to contour.

I happen to like cars shows and hate to see these new takeovers. Not clear a solution is possible such as drag strips decades ago. These guys just want to screw with things.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Alabama has followed Florida's lead... expect other States to implement similar legislature and laws into place. It's coming with very harsh penalties so thank all the fools who do this type of crap on public roads and then need to YT, TT, FB and Instacrap it for self gratification and "likes".

Per Recent CarBuzz article:
Alabama Wants To Crack Down Hard On Exhibition Driving https://carbuzz.com/news/alabama-wants-to-crack-down-hard-on-exhibition-driving

I did have a thread posted recently about Florida's new "zero-tolerance" law being voted on (and I'm guessing something got out of control in that thread, because it's gone, but here was the linked article....).
https://carbuzz.com/news/floridas-n...-to-street-racing-will-terrify-wannabe-racers

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Meh, no different than in the 80's 90's anti cruising laws, some areas had.
LET ME STATE THIS AS CLEAR AS I CAN . AS A LIFE LONG CAR NUT, TODAYS CAR CULTURE EVENTS THOSE WITH THE VEHICLES AND THOSE THAT COME TO LOOK,WATCH. Act like asshats. Blocking roads, blocking sidewalks, leaving trash and just being jerks .
Like it or not cops have better things to do than babysit an exit of a cars and coffee to make sure some asshat doesn't try to show off and wreck into other vehicles on the road or people.

Anyone with half a brain saw this coming.
The general public doesn't care about the car culture, and doesn't want to hear spinning tires, screeching tires, black strips of marks on the road near them. or the trash left behind after the "meet" .
Once yoyo's stopped respecting the locals and the area of these events, the powers that be phones lit up.
Stop acting like asshats and they not need to pass bills or send the popo to babysit and DIRECTED to hand out as many tickets as they can to let those know they are not welcome here action like frat boys.
Sponsored