Tail pipe spitting oil

PonyJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I decided to do some maintenance myself. Oil change, air filter, spark plugs. Now I'm getting smoke from the tail for 1 minute on cold start and oil splatter from the tail after a couple of minutes. I used Motorcraft 5w-30, changed oil filter from stock to K&N High flow, changed air filter from stock to K&N High flow and a set of Autolite iridium spark plugs. No leaks seen in the engine bay or under the car. Was careful to use exactly 5.7 quarts. After 1 day hard to tell but dip stick looks lower than full.
Is it possible to cause this just by going with high flow filers? Bad turbo seals? If so, why now and not before? And if so, what the hell is going to happen when I mod to a larger cold air intake?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

PonyJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Update:
It's not oil, it's carbon mixed with condensation from the tailpipe. Don't know if it's coming out because of my maintenance work or just coincidence. I'm wondering if it will stop in a couple hours of drive time or when I flash the ECU with the stage 1 tune. I'm planning to mod the exhaust this year with a turbo-back. I think a catch can is going to be a must for the next mod. Anybody experienced this?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Black tailpipe soot is normal. I used to have to wipe out the inside of.the tips every time I washed the car. Had a 16 EB.
Had it stock as well as with a Tune+ 93 tune

OP
OP

PonyJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Black tailpipe soot is normal. I used to have to wipe out the inside of.the tips every time I washed the car. Had a 16 EB.
Had it stock as well as with a Tune+ 93 tune
I scrubbed out the tips and that solved the problem. (Mostly) Good fyi about the tune, thanks. Did you ever use a catch can? I put one on order hoping it may reduce or eliminate the soot.
Sponsored