Sponsored

SYNC volume *frustratingly* LOW (but not a "volume reset" issue)

Crew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 3.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

This was about 2 years ago, but I upgraded my base 4" to the Sync3 system, and it went unbelievably smooth. Shoutout to @HextallS550 for all the help!

However, the volume (on calls especially, but all aspects) is CRIMINALLY low.

I know a lot of people have experienced the issue where the volume "resets" itself after powering off then on, but this is a separate issue. All volumes on devices and in-call, etc are confirmed maxed-out, and still pathetic.

When I crank the volume all the way to 30 (max) on a phone call, it is BARELY audible. This has been tested on 3 different phones, deleted and re-added, absolutely nothing changes the max volume. Same device when connected in my wife's car (2015 Flex) would blast my ears off at even close to HALF maxed volume.

I genuinely can't hold a conversation with the windows down, not because it's rude, but because just the wind blowing by is enough to completely drown out the incoming call volume. I need to turn down the A/C often times just to hear. That's ridiculous. Even the music played from my USB stick can only go so high, and certainly not to a "rock the house down" volume. I feel like the overall volume was higher with the 4" system, but obviously am unable to test the theory.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue would be? I haven't gone so far as to reset the system, because I don't know if it would help at all, and I'm not sure what parts of the swap/install would be affected by a reset.

Would greatly appreciate any input or ideas you guys might have!

Pic for attention:
20220501_165149.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Crew

Crew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 3.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Send me a text. I haven’t heard of this but will look into it.
Shot you a text last night. :thumbsup:

Also, hope you understand I wasn't coming at you on this or the install! Otherwise, it's been flawless.

Just seeing if anyone experienced similar volume issues overall with Sync. It's so weird.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Are you using Apple car play or android auto? Or is this bluetooth connected audio? If the latter, try turning your bluetooth volume (on the phone) to max when on a call or streaming music from it. I have issues with my 2014 Fusion where the bluetooth volume level gets reset to a low value after a update or a reboot but works otherwise when set to max, until the next reboot or update.

The only problem I have with Sync3 is when using Waze. It constantly resets the music volume level to the same level as the guidance voice. Drove me insane on a 1.5 trip. I tried using Google maps and had no problems. Waze has had this same bug for 3 years.

OP
OP
Crew

Crew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 3.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Are you using Apple car play or android auto? Or is this bluetooth connected audio? If the latter, try turning your bluetooth volume (on the phone) to max when on a call or streaming music from it. I have issues with my 2014 Fusion where the bluetooth volume level gets reset to a low value after a update or a reboot but works otherwise when set to max, until the next reboot or update.

The only problem I have with Sync3 is when using Waze. It constantly resets the music volume level to the same level as the guidance voice. Drove me insane on a 1.5 trip. I tried using Google maps and had no problems. Waze has had this same bug for 3 years.
Specifically stated it isn't a reset issue, but thanks!

I have tried turning up volume on the phone, during and prior to calls, right after connecting, all settings on Sync, toggled "absolute volume" settings on the device, etc..

It will only ever achieve a consistent maximum volume, like it's hitting a ceiling. The max level is consistent, but still unreasonably low.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Specifically stated it isn't a reset issue, but thanks!

I have tried turning up volume on the phone, during and prior to calls, right after connecting, all settings on Sync, toggled "absolute volume" settings on the device, etc..

It will only ever achieve a consistent maximum volume, like it's hitting a ceiling. The max level is consistent, but still unreasonably low.
These kind of issues are frustrating for sure. Hopefully Breeves will have a solution for you. Since this is a 4" to 8" upgrade, it's likely a configuration issue due to changing the APIM.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
When i read base 4" conversion to 8".... do you have a problem with volume in general, or only with specific tasks like phone calls?

OP
OP
Crew

Crew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 3.7L
Vehicle Showcase
When i read base 4" conversion to 8".... do you have a problem with volume in general, or only with specific tasks like phone calls?
Overall. It's difficult to quantify, but especially noticeable in phone calls.

OP
OP
Crew

Crew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 3.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Got it sorted out last night with @HextallS550 - I hadn't updated the ACM values to reflect the Sync 3 swap, so it still thought I had the old ACM in place, or something to that effect, and it nerfed the volume.

Working like a charm now, thanks Thomas!

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
These kind of issues are frustrating for sure. Hopefully Breeves will have a solution for you. Since this is a 4" to 8" upgrade, it's likely a configuration issue due to changing the APIM.
What’s Sam Reeves going to do? Sell Matt some hacked up software? Sell him one of those stolen APIMs he claims are NOS?

i_onx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Got it sorted out last night with @HextallS550 - I hadn't updated the ACM values to reflect the Sync 3 swap, so it still thought I had the old ACM in place, or something to that effect, and it nerfed the volume.

Working like a charm now, thanks Thomas!
Do you remember what changes you made? I'm having the same issue currently after upgrading from my Base ACM to a higher trim ACM that also allows for Sirius radio and after the swap my volume is half of what it was with the base model. I'll switch back if need be but I'd rather have the Sirius radio capability.
Sponsored