Sponsored

Sync Text Message Reply Question

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
On my 2014 Fusion, when I received a text message (even while driving) I was able to reply to the message while in motion. It seems on my 2015 Mustang GT, I have to be at a complete stop to send the canned responses. Is this some kind of safety setting somewhere that can be turned off or has the upgrade in technology taken a step back in this aspect? I was thinking maybe it is because my vehicle is a manual and the Fusion was an automatic?

Anyone else experience this or know a work around? It would be nice to be able to respond with a "I will call later" or "be there in 20 mins" when stuck in traffic on freeway that isn't a dead stop but will make my travel time much longer.
Sponsored

Reactions: 113

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I'm a little perturbed about this as well. It does that with my automatic. Whats the sense of hands-free texting if you have to pull over anyways? C'mon Ford techs: any input on this?

RubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT 6MT, Ruby Red with Ceramic Interior
I went to https://www.ford.com/technology/sync/ and looked up the features for my 2015 base GT. It says:

SYNC can receive SMS text messages sent to your connected phone and you may be able to command SYNC to reply with pre-set SMS text messages.27

27. SYNC® is an optional feature. Features/functionality vary by vehicle/model. Driving while distracted can result in loss of vehicle control. Only use SYNC systems/other devices, even with voice commands, when it is safe to do so. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones. Message and data rates may apply. Optional Navigation System map updates cannot be received via Wi-fi® and require a separate update.

I have the latest SYNC firmware update and compatible iPhone with IOS. I have not been able to use the reply feature driving or at a complete stop.

RubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: The feature is available to AT&T and Verizon phones. I have Verizon but still unable to use reply feature

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
I could be mistaken, but I believe that I recall reading something that says that Apple iOS devices do not support this feature. I never could get it to work with my iPhone 5 or 6 in my 15 GT, our 15 F-150 or our 14 Nissan Titan.

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have a cheap-ass BLU phone using Tracfone (AT&T) and it works, I just have to be in park.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Got 3 text messages in quick succession from one of my friends while driving to work today. I wanted to text him back (via voice) to tell him it's too early for that shit. Couldn't, and promptly got 2 more.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I went to https://www.ford.com/technology/sync/ and looked up the features for my 2015 base GT. It says:

SYNC can receive SMS text messages sent to your connected phone and you may be able to command SYNC to reply with pre-set SMS text messages.27

27. SYNC® is an optional feature. Features/functionality vary by vehicle/model. Driving while distracted can result in loss of vehicle control. Only use SYNC systems/other devices, even with voice commands, when it is safe to do so. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones. Message and data rates may apply. Optional Navigation System map updates cannot be received via Wi-fi® and require a separate update.

I have the latest SYNC firmware update and compatible iPhone with IOS. I have not been able to use the reply feature driving or at a complete stop.
My iPhone (Verizon) did not work in the Fusion to reply to text messages, however my Nexus 6 (Android and Verizon) did work with replying to text messages while in motion in the Fusion.

I have tried both devices with the Mustang and no dice.

dconfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wish they would put in the option to actually reply to a text by voice in MFT. But with sync 3 around don't ever see it happening. MFT is died. This would make me really happy with MFT.

RubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the recent Sync hardware update to V5.7 for the base unit, Siri works much better. What I do now is press the home button on my iPhone wait for the Siri tone to play thru the speakers. The voice recognition is really good and you can dictate any message you want. Siri will read back your message and ask you if you want to send it. Much more capable then the Sync canned responses.

Sponsored

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey everyone!

Some features are too difficult to use while your vehicle is moving, so they are restricted from use unless the vehicle is stationary. Composing a text is a speed restricted feature for the MyFord Touch. See more on page 333: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-3_om_EN-US_03_2015.pdf Also, Apple has not optimized the use to reply to text over Bluetooth, so iPhones do not have this option.

We have not forgotten about our MyFord Touch systems! There is a new update available (version 3.8). You can find this update in your Owner account: Owner.Ford.com Log in then select the SYNC & HOW TOS tab. Choose CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES in the drop down menu. Some key features include Siri Eyes Free, easier phone pairing, and automatic reconnection.

I read some great suggestions. Please go to our Social site to get your voice heard: Social.Ford.com

With the recent Sync hardware update to V5.7 for the base unit, Siri works much better. What I do now is press the home button on my iPhone wait for the Siri tone to play thru the speakers. The voice recognition is really good and you can dictate any message you want. Siri will read back your message and ask you if you want to send it. Much more capable then the Sync canned responses.
RubyRed15GT,

You're right. Siri Eyes Free is pretty awesome. Glad you're enjoying it! :)

Shaay

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Now if it would just interface better with Pandora like the previous non-premium system I had in the '12...

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Hey everyone!

Some features are too difficult to use while your vehicle is moving, so they are restricted from use unless the vehicle is stationary. Composing a text is a speed restricted feature for the MyFord Touch. See more on page 333: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-3_om_EN-US_03_2015.pdf Also, Apple has not optimized the use to reply to text over Bluetooth, so iPhones do not have this option.

We have not forgotten about our MyFord Touch systems! There is a new update available (version 3.8). You can find this update in your Owner account: Owner.Ford.com Log in then select the SYNC & HOW TOS tab. Choose CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES in the drop down menu. Some key features include Siri Eyes Free, easier phone pairing, and automatic reconnection.

I read some great suggestions. Please go to our Social site to get your voice heard: Social.Ford.com

RubyRed15GT,

You're right. Siri Eyes Free is pretty awesome. Glad you're enjoying it! :)

Shaay
I don't have my Ford touch.. And as I mentioned in my previous posts it worked on my 2014 Fusion but doesn't work on my 2015 Mustang. It appears to be a nearly identical system so unless firmware version is different idk why it doesn't work.

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don't have my Ford touch.. And as I mentioned in my previous posts it worked on my 2014 Fusion but doesn't work on my 2015 Mustang. It appears to be a nearly identical system so unless firmware version is different idk why it doesn't work.
Hey Steeeliskt,

At this time, replying to a text while the vehicle is in motion is available for certain SYNC with MyFord vehicles. PM your VIN; I'd like to see if this is a speed restricted feature for your vehicle.

Shaay

2blackstangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT w/ PP | 1993 LX Notch
I just wish the canned replies were actually legible.

Anytime I send one out via the sms reply through Sync 3, it lacks any space between the response and the disclaimer.

Example: "NoThis SMS was sent from my Ford."

weird
Sponsored